Greasy Lake Community

Besides "All of them", which Springsteen album sounds the best on vinyl?

Besides "All of them"!!! Which one improves the most from hearing it in that format vs. on a streaming service or CD?

I am a MILLENNIAL born in NINETEEN NINETY-FIVE and so, since I've gotten into Bruuuuuce in '09, it's taken the form of CDs and .mp3 files. I've never listened to a Springsteen album on vinyl (or any other album, for that matter), 'cuz I never had a record player.

But my sister's boyfriend just moved in, and he has one, so! I must now ask. Are there any Bruuuuce albums that sound particularly better in that format? I think I've heard people say that Magic does, that it brings out the percussion better or something and does away with some of the kind of "noise"-y production and adds a clarity to it. My gut feeling is Born to Run might be better on vinyl, too.

I do already own Tunnel of Love and Born to Run on vinyl, tho idk where the latter is offhand, but haven't listened to either one yet.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I would second Wild, the innocent.

i would also put forward Darkness. 
Maybe it’s my speakers but the moodiness in his voice on Candy’s room made such an impression.

As for Born to run - my copy is over forty years old and has a number of jumps, so much so, that when I hear it in digital, I get misled with some of the extra words. So hard to judge now.

In saying that, on some tracks, the crackles and nuances add to my experience by taking me back in time.

Ahh 78!:D

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

The 'new' version of WIESS is great.  So is Hammersmith.  Live In Dublin, too.  I've not listened to WOAD for a while, but I seem to remember that being loud and crisp, especially on This Life.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Depends a lot on what the boyfriend with the "record player" owns.

If it is this then stick with cdsimage.png.7f6fc966abaecd99d4b22c0ccb929b69.png

or is the turntable part of a hifi system looking more like thisimage.png.f5895a70be0cabac4240a7f3742cc92c.png

Haven't heard any of the new vinyl releases from last month. But... To my ears, there is nothing in the world as glorious as Seeger Sessions on vinyl, very loud. It really does just sound significantly better, like you can close your eyes and all of those instruments are gathered right around you.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, mjmal51 said:

Depends a lot on what the boyfriend with the "record player" owns.

If it is this then stick with cdsimage.png.7f6fc966abaecd99d4b22c0ccb929b69.png

or is the turntable part of a hifi system looking more like thisimage.png.f5895a70be0cabac4240a7f3742cc92c.png

Mine is like the top one. But I'm happy :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Thanks! I'll pick that one up ASAP.

Is my suspicion about Magic sounding better on vinyl correct?

if it is this would be fantastic news

12 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

To my ears it is. Much debate when it was released about 'loudness'.  O'Brien's production and mix is awful on the CD, but better on LP.  I'd love a Bob Clearmountain remix. Fat chance.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2020 at 3:32 AM, Promise61 said:

To my ears it is. Much debate when it was released about 'loudness'.  O'Brien's production and mix is awful on the CD, but better on LP.  I'd love a Bob Clearmountain remix. Fat chance.

im dedinatly going to get this (one day)

i brought the Japanese CD because someone said it sounded better

not sure if it does but its the one i listen to 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:16 AM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Magic does sound better in vinyl.

Nebraska is my favorite album. There's a lot more depth in the vinyl version.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

off topic a bit but..

The best Springsteen sound i ever heard on vinyl was the very first time I listened to "This Hard Land " way back in the late 80s

the crackling sound just before it started..then the song just superb

The bootleg LP "Castaway" is still one of my most treasured Springsteen items

R-10333138-1495484214-3432.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

I don't buy vinyl these days, but back in the day the original Live 75-85 sounded tremendous on vinyl.

There's no CD version around (or stream) that I've heard the comes close to the sound on the original vinyl.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I don't buy vinyl these days, but back in the day the original Live 75-85 sounded tremendous on vinyl.

There's no CD version around (or stream) that I've heard the comes close to the sound on the original vinyl.

I am very very glad that during the height of CD and people getting rid of their vinyl, I made sure I kept my US Import copy of that box. Still have it today, in immaculate condition. Put it on only on very special occasions.

The River sounds way better on vinyl.

5 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I have both a CD and Vinyl copy and I agree. It just sounds so much more powerful on vinyl.

• Like 1