NoSurrender81

Halloween Show 10.31.1984.. My Fathers House

I think this is one of the best version of My Fathers House i have heard. This show is pretty good. A great story at the start of "Reason To Believe". Anyone think this show was multi tracked and might be a future Nugs Release?  Also some other great versions of songs on there.. Point Blank and Racing.. What are your thoughts on this show?

• Like 1

The "Halloween Confidential" is truly a wonderful show, available as Ev2 bootleg. I certainly do not think it was multi-tracked. If you have read the Dave Marsh book, then it looks like they were searching for that particular Racing version:

"In preparing the live album’s sequence, it wasn’t memories that Bruce Springsteen was seeking—and finding. It was a decade of “Growin’ Up,” to give it the name of the song in which he first spoke clearly about the relationship between early days and adulthood. Springsteen and Landau had access to about thirty professionally recorded shows, far fewer than the number that had been bootlegged. But those shows were more than sufficient to their purpose, and anyway, they couldn’t have used any less technically sophisticated material and maintained the necessary sound quality. In the end, the digital tapes from the Born in the U.S.A. concerts set an extraordinary standard for everything else. This meant that some memorable moments simply weren’t available. For instance, the concert rendition of “Racing in the Streets,” preceded by and concluded with Bruce’s narration, didn’t make the record because it had never been professionally recorded." - Bruce Springsteen: Two Hearts, pag 469 by Dave Marsh

Regarding this particular version of Racing, our only hope rests in that someday the source tape for the 1985-01-15 - Charlotte, NC soundboard will see the light as an archival release ...

That iteration of Racin' (I think of it as the November '84 one) was thrilling to hear live. As I attended 11/2, 11/4, and 11/8 I carry those in my head, and in my heart, and have done so for more than 35 years. I'm certainly partial to 11/4, the last night in LA, and 11/8, that magical night in Tempe. But that whole month, thru Denver and St. Louis, Ames and Lincoln and those stellar boots we've enjoyed for decades, and the Texas shows, were just full of the emotion that runs thru that song, the desperation and the despair.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

4 hours ago, JimCT said:

But that whole month, thru Denver and St. Louis, Ames and Lincoln and those stellar boots we've enjoyed for decades, and the Texas shows, were just full of the emotion that runs thru that song, the desperation and the despair.

Agreed. I've read somewhere the run from Halloween through December 84 was tremendous for Bruce. His voice, the shows, the band, the power was peaking for the 85  shows to come soon. Great time for him and us young (I was 18) fans. 

Just now, fadeaway said:

Agreed. I've read somewhere the run from Halloween through December 84 was tremendous for Bruce. His voice, the shows, the band, the power was peaking for the 85  shows to come soon. Great time for him and us young (I was 18) fans. 

Here is Racin' from the final night in LA, 11/4. Then I'll put up Tempe 11/8, tell me which you prefer, or if you think 10/31 is better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fadeaway said:

I sure picked a good week to go on tour that year :)  

and Tempe 11/8 - followed by an amazing Jungleland, too

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JimCT said:

and Tempe 11/8 - followed by an amazing Jungleland, too

Your tapes are wonderful @JimCT

When the weather got colder, the shows got better. I will always remember getting Kansas City on LP. This was the moment that I went from being a kid listening to Bruce, and being the fanatic, you all know now. These songs fuel my fascination, and deepen my connection now years later. We need this now more than ever. We will survive as we try to get back home before it gets dark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Racin' from the final night in LA, 11/4

I like this one the best. They are all pretty close though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

Here is Racin' from the final night in LA, 11/4. Then I'll put up Tempe 11/8, tell me which you prefer, or if you think 10/31 is better

Thanks for the Racing's from LA and AZ. I prefer the LA 11/4 because of the more particular intro into the song:

04.11.84 Los Angeles, CA, intro to ´Racing in the Street´
´´When we first met….we were just, we were like laughing all the time and stuff and….for some reason later on the things that….things that made her happy didn´t seem to make her happy no more….and I can remember the night that she cut her hair, she used to like to go out riding….and now she just calls me, she tries to hide the keys, she doesn´t like it when I …when I take the car out at night…..and now sometimes it´s so hard to make her understand that when I take the car out and when I win….that it´s something that I do good….it´s the only time that….that I really feel good about myself….and to have just one thing, just one thing in your whole life that you do that makes you proud of yourself, I don´t think that´s too much for anybody to ask…..
(….) Well, that was the night that me and her left….and we don´t know where we´re going yet but I guess that´ll come in time….but sometimes it feels like we´re just…..just kids running around out here trying to get home….before it gets too dark…..but I guess you just gotta keep searching….”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, el sergio said:

Thanks for the Racing's from LA and AZ. I prefer the LA 11/4 because of the more particular intro into the song:

´´When we first met….we were just, we were like laughing all the time and stuff and….for some reason later on the things that….things that made her happy didn´t seem to make her happy no more….and I can remember the night that she cut her hair, she used to like to go out riding….and now she just calls me, she tries to hide the keys, she doesn´t like it when I …when I take the car out at night…..and now sometimes it´s so hard to make her understand that when I take the car out and when I win….that it´s something that I do good….it´s the only time that….that I really feel good about myself….and to have just one thing, just one thing in your whole life that you do that makes you proud of yourself, I don´t think that´s too much for anybody to ask…..
(….) Well, that was the night that me and her left….and we don´t know where we´re going yet but I guess that´ll come in time….but sometimes it feels like we´re just…..just kids running around out here trying to get home….before it gets too dark…..but I guess you just gotta keep searching….”

That's beautiful and heartbreaking, just like the song itself.

• Like 1

Just started playing Kansas City. Best audience capture ever.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, el sergio said:

There's a reason Flynn chose the name of the boot from this song, based on this rendition ;) It's more than just name-checking LA in LA - listen to how quiet and respectful the crowd was during the quiet parts, absorbing every detail Bruce was describing. We all were with him in that story - it's what he does to us, takes us with him

52 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Just started playing Kansas City. Best audience capture ever.

It's almost as clear as some of the early Nugs releases. Haha 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:04 PM, NoSurrender81 said:

I think this is one of the best version of My Fathers House i have heard. This show is pretty good. A great story at the start of "Reason To Believe". Anyone think this show was multi tracked and might be a future Nugs Release?  Also some other great versions of songs on there.. Point Blank and Racing.. What are your thoughts on this show?

10/25 and 10/31 were the 2 best shows I saw that leg

10/25 just epic, tying with Oakland for longest 84 set list.  USA into who’ll stop - what a powerful start to the set. Nebraska 5 pack, with new version of point blank, stunning.  The physicality Bruce displayed roaming around the entire stage, up and down the risers; wild.  I’ve never seen him stronger. Second set with LA tribute pink caddy rap, backstreets, and 7 song encore featuring killer Street fighting man and absolutely gorgeous follow that dream sung to an almost entirely silent sports arena - incredible.  What a show.

10/31 intro with the Louie Louie tribute and sexy Patti in nurses dress with Bruce rising out of the coffin to H.S. Confidential, to start a 17 song first set featuring who’ll stop the rain, I fought the law and trapped.  Who does that.  A 17 song first set! He and the band were on fire.  In my opinion the Nebraska material on the USA tour is hard to top for Nebraska songs live,  and I saw both Christic sets.  Nebraska songs were so fresh, so personal, even though performed in an arena. That 10/31 Father’s House rap and song performance just outstanding.  Nils was brand new but you could see he and Bruce connected.  I remember Nils sitting down during some of those Nebraska songs and the other band members not playing on the Nebraska songs left the stage for those songs.  5 Nebraska songs during a set was half the album and it was like Bruce was touring for two albums during those Nebraska 5-pack concerts. Then you add in Shut out the light, Follow that dream, and bye bye Johnny.  Insane shows.

i don’t know if Hungary Heart and Sherry Darling worked in the encores 10/31 but Halloween is still an incredible 32-song set.  Let’s hope Marsh is wrong about professional recordings from that leg not existing.  

• Love Love Love! 2

On 3/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, Rumble said:

10/25 and 10/31 were the 2 best shows I saw that leg

i don’t know if Hungary Heart and Sherry Darling worked in the encores 10/31 but Halloween is still an incredible 32-song set.  Let’s hope Marsh is wrong about professional recordings from that leg not existing.  

You forgot one extremely important feature for the LA 1984 stand: from 10/29, Racing In The Street did close the 2nd set and Rosalita was not the traditional 2nd set closer anymore ...