lilbud

Two Lanes, Two Hearts - A Live Compilation

Recommended Posts

Howdy

For the past few weeks, I've been working on and off on a live concert compilation. I got the idea after listening to "The Turnpike is Closed, Nobody Goes Home" compiled by EarlMV. I really liked listening to it, and originally planned this project as an upgrade to that, better quality sources (replace an okay AUD tape with a SBD, FM, or IEM mix), and other ideas. It quickly grew from that into simply making my own altogether. So I present:

logo.thumb.png.b72a90ce8961f3b8f1e97335e686cb1c.png

Two Lanes, Two Hearts started with me asking myself the question "what would be my dream Bruce concert, that if I saw, I'd be perfectly content". That grew to a 36 song setlist from nearly every era of Bruce. Everything from Pre-BTR, all the way to Wrecking Ball. I should mention that this is my list and a metric shitload of personal preference and opinion is used. Both with sources and song choice. It is planned to be 4 discs worth, though it could be more or less depending on how long each song ends up being. I am posting what disc 1 is going to look like, others will come later.

Disc 1:

image.png.2aab2e1df2431145203ce0e7ac8cb0ee.png

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also planned for this project to just be a pet project, because I planned on going to school on campus until May, well that changed pretty quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two thoughts - for LITF, give 9/1/78 a listen. It opened the 2d set, and was just stunning. For Racin', give the various November '84 versions a listen. I posted 11/4 and 11/8 in the thread about the 10/31 show. KC and Lincoln are also candidates due to the quality of the boot. The shows that month were amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Two thoughts - for LITF, give 9/1/78 a listen. It opened the 2d set, and was just stunning. For Racin', give the various November '84 versions a listen. I posted 11/4 and 11/8 in the thread about the 10/31 show. KC and Lincoln are also candidates due to the quality of the boot. The shows that month were amazing.

I'll track down 9/1/78 and give it a listen. It'll depend on how well it'll blend with the surrounding tracks (providing it doesn't stand out too much, sound quality wise).

As for Racing in the Street, while I enjoy the older versions, I definitely prefer the later versions with the extended coda (Live in Hyde Park is an excellent example).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I'll track down 9/1/78 and give it a listen. It'll depend on how well it'll blend with the surrounding tracks (providing it doesn't stand out too much, sound quality wise).

As for Racing in the Street, while I enjoy the older versions, I definitely prefer the later versions with the extended coda (Live in Hyde Park is an excellent example).

Give at least one of the Nov 84 renditions a listen. You won't be disappointed. BTW, their run times are more than 2 minutes longer than Hyde Park ;) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Give at least one of the Nov 84 renditions a listen. You won't be disappointed. BTW, their run times are more than 2 minutes longer than Hyde Park ;) 

I swapped in Nov 8 version, it blended better than I thought it would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lilbud said:

I swapped in Nov 8 version, it blended better than I thought it would.

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, with the choice of tracks, they have to match volume wise. Like, Originally I had Badlands (Passaic) going into Wrecking Ball. Most versions of WB start with the hi-hat being hit. So the loudness of Passaic didn't blend will with the quietness of the opening of WB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Also, with the choice of tracks, they have to match volume wise. Like, Originally I had Badlands (Passaic) going into Wrecking Ball. Most versions of WB start with the hi-hat being hit. So the loudness of Passaic didn't blend will with the quietness of the opening of WB.

Is it not possible to make some sort of crossfade between the tracks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Is it not possible to make some sort of crossfade between the tracks?

It is possible, but it still has to match and not sound off.

Here's an example, Badlands (Passaic 1978-09-19) on top, Wrecking Ball (Monchengladbach 2013-07-05) on bottom.

image.png.72e1bb06f7192f47a5f531dcf5205a91.png

Badlands is too loud to match up with Wrecking Ball, which is very quiet in the beginning. Messing too much with the volume of either can make them either sound too loud and compressed, or too quiet.

All of the tracks are crossfaded together as to make it sound like one cohesive concert. It helps if they are similar volumes to begin with, so the transition is less noticeable in the end. Going from Badlands to WB, even with the crossfade, was a very noticeable jump in both quality and volume. (One is an FM transfer, the other an IEM/AUD mix).

Plus, after dropping in Death to My Hometown, it sounds a lot better and less out of place.

Another thing, the Boot of Passaic is very loud volume wise, often going past the limit of being too loud to listen to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Two thoughts - for LITF, give 9/1/78 a listen. It opened the 2d set, and was just stunning

I gave lost in the flood a listen, and realized it screws with the flow of the "concert"

In Death to My Hometown, toward the end, there is one last drum/guitar hit that blends perfectly well with the opening of LITF from 2013. And Lost in the Flood from 1978 doesn't fit with the next song (the slower tempo Price You Pay from Nassau 1980).

image.thumb.png.40d7da00c0ebcb90ea01c9aff637d2b9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something similar, where I compiled every single song played on every leg of the River Tour into 3 different collections (American Arenas, European, American Stadiums, Australian). I took every song and tried to find a rhythm and flow that would simulate a "real" concert. I chose between all the different versions which ones I liked best and which ones would then flow better into the next song. It took forever to finish but I had a lot a fun! I hope the same goes for you! ;)  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 1651997 said:

I took every song and tried to find a rhythm and flow that would simulate a "real" concert.

Exactly, which is what makes this so difficult. The best overall version of a song might not be the best version for this. Might not fit with the flow, stand out too much.

So it's kind of a balancing act, find a good version of a song, in a good quality, that flow well with the surrounding songs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1651997 said:

I did something similar, where I compiled every single song played on every leg of the River Tour into 3 different collections (American Arenas, European, American Stadiums, Australian). I took every song and tried to find a rhythm and flow that would simulate a "real" concert. I chose between all the different versions which ones I liked best and which ones would then flow better into the next song. It took forever to finish but I had a lot a fun! I hope the same goes for you! ;)  

 

I'd love to see your list. I love blending mixes. I worked my ass off on Tempe 1980. It took weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I'd love to see your list. I love blending mixes. I worked my ass off on Tempe 1980. It took weeks.

Do you have any suggestions on getting rid of some of the static hiss? Because on the bootleg (Love Soul and a Broken Heart), many of the tracks have a bad hissing noise. Any form of noise reduction I try ends up cutting off the high end of the music. (The harmonica on The River is a good example, the static is gone, but the harmonica sounds wrong)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lilbud said:

I gave lost in the flood a listen, and realized it screws with the flow of the "concert"

In Death to My Hometown, toward the end, there is one last drum/guitar hit that blends perfectly well with the opening of LITF from 2013. And Lost in the Flood from 1978 doesn't fit with the next song (the slower tempo Price You Pay from Nassau 1980).

image.thumb.png.40d7da00c0ebcb90ea01c9aff637d2b9.png

Your choice. I'm happy you gave that rendition of LITF a listen, hope you agree that it was worth your time ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lilbud said:

Do you have any suggestions on getting rid of some of the static hiss? Because on the bootleg (Love Soul and a Broken Heart), many of the tracks have a bad hissing noise. Any form of noise reduction I try ends up cutting off the high end of the music. (The harmonica on The River is a good example, the static is gone, but the harmonica sounds wrong)

Its such a poor tape...getting rid of the hiss removes that frequency and thus the high end. You would need to try it in stages to remove the hiss while maintaining the high end. Lucky for me, I just used the nugs songs and mixed with the stuff from the Blu-ray. I disnt need to do any noise reduction.

I'd prefer a compilation of just stuff from nugs, and the quality would be consistant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lilbud said:

Exactly, which is what makes this so difficult. The best overall version of a song might not be the best version for this. Might not fit with the flow, stand out too much.

So it's kind of a balancing act, find a good version of a song, in a good quality, that flow well with the surrounding songs.

Yes! That's what made it a fun challenge for me. I loved doing it! :)

4 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I'd love to see your list. I love blending mixes. I worked my ass off on Tempe 1980. It took weeks.

Sure, I'll post it here when I get on my computer (or maybe send you a DM to try and not take this thread off topic)! But by the way, just to be clear I meant the 2016/17 River Tour, not the original. I just read my post and maybe I didn't explain myself too well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

Its such a poor tape...getting rid of the hiss removes that frequency and thus the high end. You would need to try it in stages to remove the hiss while maintaining the high end. Lucky for me, I just used the nugs songs and mixed with the stuff from the Blu-ray. I disnt need to do any noise reduction.

I'd prefer a compilation of just stuff from nugs, and the quality would be consistant.

I just went back to using 12/19/1980 (Once Upon a Time in the East). It's an audience tape and it's pretty good quality, little to no noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1651997 said:

Yes! That's what made it a fun challenge for me. I loved doing it! :)

Sure, I'll post it here when I get on my computer (or maybe send you a DM to try and not take this thread off topic)! But by the way, just to be clear I meant the 2016/17 River Tour, not the original. I just read my post and maybe I didn't explain myself too well.

I've often thought of doing a compilation of the 16/17 tour...might be a fun way to pass the time. Please send your list. Anyone else send me song selections as well. I am better at the tech then choosing the versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I've often thought of doing a compilation of the 16/17 tour...might be a fun way to pass the time. Please send your list. Anyone else send me song selections as well. I am better at the tech then choosing the versions.

For start, any compilation of 16/17 should definitely include Purple Rain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if he still gets on here (I hope he does), but @mgravitt2 made an absolutely brilliant River Tour compilation back in 2016. It wasn't an ordinary playlist either, similarly to what bud is trying to achieve, it had been tweaked to flow stupendously both in setlist structure and in one track leading into another. 

The work and dedication of Lakers is really something special. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I don't know if he still gets on here (I hope he does), but @mgravitt2 made an absolutely brilliant River Tour compilation back in 2016. It wasn't an ordinary playlist either, similarly to what bud is trying to achieve, it had been tweaked to flow stupendously both in setlist structure and in one track leading into another. 

The work and dedication of Lakers is really something special. 

A few posts up, there is a user named 1651997 talking about something similar he did with the 16/17 tour. I'd love to see both of them, the 16/17 tour is when I saw my first shows, so it's one of my favorites.

EDIT: Yikes, hasn't been on since June 2019

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lilbud said:

A few posts up, there is a user named 1651997 talking about something similar he did with the 16/17 tour. I'd love to see both of them, the 16/17 tour is when I saw my first shows, so it's one of my favorites.

EDIT: Yikes, hasn't been on since June 2019

It was Numbers' post that actually reminded me of gravitt's compilation! :lol: The 16/17 tour was excellent, you could make ten different compilations and not one of them would be the same. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.