Greasy Lake Community

Greasy Lakers, stay strong and beat this virus

40 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

What is Europe's mistakes?

Well, not taking immediate, drastic containment measures, hoping that the economy and the COVID-19 could coexist. Or to paraphrase that well-known quote: “It’s not the economy, it’s the Covid, stupid!”.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, not taking immediate, drastic containment measures, hoping that the economy and the COVID-19 could coexist. Or to paraphrase that well-known quote: “It’s not the economy, it’s the Covid, stupid!”.

Ok. That's not how I see it. In my opinion the mistake is not having prepared for and having a plan for a epidemic like this in the first place. Not having built up a large supply of equipment, masks etc. Not having a health system built for a situation like this. Instead of spending money on that the goverments have prioritized tax cuts.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Ok. That's not how I see it. In my opinion the mistake is not having prepared for and having a plan for a epidemic like this in the first place. Not having built up a large supply of equipment, masks etc. Not having a health system built for a situation like this. Instead of spending money on that the goverments have prioritized tax cuts.

I see your point, but I guess health systems in Europe can’t be blamed as such. Or, anyway, I’m not here to point fingers. What I consider the real mistake is the loss of time - the weeks of useless half mesures - before governments understood how serious the situation can get. I’m writing from Switzerland, which has probably one of the best (and one of the most expensive in term of taxes) public health systems in the world. We lack nothing so far, but even here, two precious weeks (and hundreds of lives) were lost because the government didn’t want to harm the economy. What I’m saying is, take it as seriously as you can.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Frank said:

I see your point, but I guess health systems in Europe can’t be blamed as such. Or, anyway, I’m not here to point fingers. What I consider the real mistake is the loss of time - the weeks of useless half mesures - before governments understood how serious the situation can get. I’m writing from Switzerland, which has probably one of the best (and one of the most expensive in term of taxes) public health systems in the world. We lack nothing so far, but even here, two precious weeks (and hundreds of lives) were lost because the government didn’t want to harm the economy. What I’m saying is, take it as seriously as you can.

Im.sorry to hear your country has been so hard hit :(

Outside of Italy and Spain and one article on Sweden we don't hear much about Europe right now 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 4:53 AM, whispered secret said:

It was a beautiful afternoon here. I sat in the garden for two hours reading a book and it almost felt as if life was normal. 

I am having those moments too. Where life seems normal and then you remember it isn't.

Been sick for nearly four weeks with a virus and every time I cough I think 'at least it is not COVID'.

Have thought about my old Introversion versus Extroversion thread and hoping those on the extroversion end of that spectrum are coping well enough with the social distancing. It will be a bigger challenge for them than me. I have a great deal of sympathy for those people but not as much as I have for those whose kids are going to be singing endlessly the social distancing song The Wiggles released today. Not sure if that is a kindness or a cruelty. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SydneyGirl said:

I am having those moments too. Where life seems normal and then you remember it isn't.

Been sick for nearly four weeks with a virus and every time I cough I think 'at least it is not COVID'.

Have thought about my old Introversion versus Extroversion thread and hoping those on the extroversion end of that spectrum are coping well enough with the social distancing. It will be a bigger challenge for them than me. I have a great deal of sympathy for those people but not as much as I have for those whose kids are going to be singing endlessly the social distancing song The Wiggles released today. Not sure if that is a kindness or a cruelty. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, I hope you're on the mend.

I thought about your thread as well these days and concluded that for me, there is not all that much difference because I'm not an extrovert. I can see the effects in my husband - he gets bored and restless fast if there isn't much communication with others, preferably face to face. So he suffers a lot more than I.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, I hope you're on the mend.

I thought about your thread as well these days and concluded that for me, there is not all that much difference because I'm not an extrovert. I can see the effects in my husband - he gets bored and restless fast if there isn't much communication with others, preferably face to face. So he suffers a lot more than I.

Miss bt, do you ever hear from Raced Off The Street? I remember him going to your party a few years ago.

29 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Miss bt, do you ever hear from Raced Off The Street? I remember him going to your party a few years ago.

The last I heard from @Raced Off The Streetwas a few months ago when he made a short apprearance here to say he had got married. After that, nothing. Raced, where are you hiding?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just found out that my favorite Uncle has it, he also has COPD and heart disease from smoking.  He is doing well and just has a light cough so far, but his O2 levels are already low.  Praying for him to make it through this, but it will be tough in his condition :(

• Hug 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, 65pacecar said:

Just found out that my favorite Uncle has it, he also has COPD and heart disease from smoking.  He is doing well and just has a light cough so far, but his O2 levels are already low.  Praying for him to make it through this, but it will be tough in his condition :(

Oh no.  I’m so sorry.  I hope he recovers. xoxo 

@SydneyGirl, I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been well.  Best wishes to feel better ASAP!  

Sending lots of love from NJ to all... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, berlintramp said:

The last I heard from @Raced Off The Streetwas a few months ago when he made a short apprearance here to say he had got married. After that, nothing. Raced, where are you hiding?

Well at least he has something to do in isolation :lol:

40 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Bruce in lockdown in a place called Feakle. Or have I fallen for an April Fool's joke?

www.clareecho.ie

It's on BTX, too. I don't think anybody's falling for it … or are they, @Promise61?

Apparently, other members of the band are with him and he's been seen out walking. However the Irish paper says that everybody knows that he was born to run.

Oh dear … :D

14 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Oh no.  I’m so sorry.  I hope he recovers. xoxo 

@SydneyGirl, I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t been well.  Best wishes to feel better ASAP!  

Sending lots of love from NJ to all... 

Thanks RJM. I am finally getting to the point I can put it behind me. Turns out it might have been COVID - there was a small hidden cluster of it where I live but tests would not confirm it one way or another this far into being sick. Doctor tells me to assume it is not COVID and do all the same stuff to avoid it as everyone else. Will get the antibody test when it is available just to know. Whatever virus is responsible it has given me great sympathy for those facing the challenge of severe COVID that so many are dealing with at the moment and enormous gratitude for being okay.

• Like 4

"What would Woody Guthrie do?"

Back in the 60s Woody Guthrie was being consumed by Huntington's disease.  From his hospital bed on a good day he wrote this.

Woody Sez,

You might not have known it
Because maybe I've not shown it
But if you wanta really know what got me up
And on the go
What patched me up
From my head to my toe
What got me ready for my battle rattle
Way over here, my rain and snow
You wanta know, sweet dear, sweet dear
Your smile cured me
Your smile you threw across my ward here
Saved my neck
And cured my hide
Your big laugh got me fixed out
And your smile cured me.
Your smile cured me.

Much gratitude to all health workers everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

At 8pm I'll be outside my door clapping like crazy in appreciation of all health workers...real life heroes.

To quote a friend of ours, "when heroes are needed, heroes get made." X

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SydneyGirl said:

Thanks RJM. I am finally getting to the point I can put it behind me. Turns out it might have been COVID - there was a small hidden cluster of it where I live but tests would not confirm it one way or another this far into being sick. Doctor tells me to assume it is not COVID and do all the same stuff to avoid it as everyone else. Will get the antibody test when it is available just to know. Whatever virus is responsible it has given me great sympathy for those facing the challenge of severe COVID that so many are dealing with at the moment and enormous gratitude for being okay.

So glad to hear that you’re on the mend!  And yes, excellent advice to still take precautions.  So many unknowns at present, even if you did in fact have it.  

They assume based on other viruses that this one will act the same in the other ones, but they’re not sure.  

But yes, when an antibody test is available you’ll have more information.  

Grateful for this news!  Keep us posted.  xo 

• Like 3