Greasy Lakers, stay strong and beat this virus

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greasy Lakers are the best Tomorrow there'll be sunshine xxx

As the Uk goes into lockdown number 3, I do hope my dear friends here are staying as safe as possible. I've read every post on this thread. The year 2020 has seen my heart smashed into so ma

A quarter of the worlds 7.8 billion people are now in some kind of lock down !   By my calculations that must mean approximately 653 million at home listening to Bruce Springsteen  I hope la

Posted Images

On 4/14/2020 at 2:40 AM, newcastle roy said:

I've always turned to a Bruce Springsteen song or songs to help me through whatever crap life chucks my way.

I started this thread as i was listening to Land Of Hope and Dreams and the lines.. "Tomorrow there'll be sunshine
and all this Darkness Past"....always mean so much to me and always help me. But...

i dunno why but this last few weeks and this weekend especially i have listened to Moonlight Motel more times i should really tell. Dunno why as the words in the song are not really anything to do with this damn fuckin' virus that is taking so many people from this earth before their time.

I don't want this song to remind me of such a terrible time, but i just can't stop listening to it..soba or drunk.                                                Maybe it's Bruce's voice in Moonlight Hotel, maybe it just gives me the comfort i need right now or is it just me being a daft Geordie clot?   I don't want "Moonlight Motel" to turn into another "Factory"  for me, i love that song but reminds me to much of my dad.

Does anyone else feel like i do ? about certain songs ? 

....and Greasy Lakers are still and always be the very best people in the world

keep on staying safe...nee cuddles or high fives btw

For some reason I have been listening to more of Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits these days. 

6 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

i know someone who went to school with Mark Knopfler.

Cool. Always liked Dire Straits but for some reason barring one album of his was never fond of his solo work, but lately discovered quite a few i really like.

Missed seeing him live when he performed here in Bangalore as i was working for a short while in another location and the  sadistic boss i had then  deliberately scheduled the monthly meeting at the same time so some of us could not travel back home.

• Sad 3
On 4/15/2020 at 3:44 PM, balboa08 said:

For some reason I have been listening to more of Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits these days. 

This afternoon I've listened Down The Road Wherever and the album he made with E. Harris. But for my is usual. I love Mark. 

10 hours ago, Ibbhomero said:

Do you know how he was? 

I think he's referring to me. 

Mark was at Gosforth Grammar School,  a couple of years up from me in the 'old' school - a new one had been built across the road where the older lot went (including my brother).

He had a duo on the go with Susan Hercombe a pal in my year, and they were on a local news programme back in the 60s. He was in the school orchestra at the same time as myself - me scraping away on the violin (just getting a 'feel' for it as my teacher said) - while he had his guitar.  I can remember asking a mate what he was doing in an orchestra, playing a guitar. :)

I'd pass him in the covered archways that led from classes, all the way round the inside of the school - but never had occasion to talk to him. Susan liked him very much and said he was a lovely lad.

Here's a little treat for you … there's more on YouTube after this one.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 7:53 AM, Eileen said:

I think he's referring to me. 

Mark was at Gosforth Grammar School,  a couple of years up from me in the 'old' school - a new one had been built across the road where the older lot went (including my brother).

He had a duo on the go with Susan Hercombe a pal in my year, and they were on a local news programme back in the 60s. He was in the school orchestra at the same time as myself - me scraping away on the violin (just getting a 'feel' for it as my teacher said) - while he had his guitar.  I can remember asking a mate what he was doing in an orchestra, playing a guitar. :)

I'd pass him in the covered archways that led from classes, all the way round the inside of the school - but never had occasion to talk to him. Susan liked him very much and said he was a lovely lad.

Here's a little treat for you … there's more on YouTube after this one.

Love the Norwegian TV interview.  It was really moving seeing Susan's mother, and Mark's reaction to her.

Thought the song they played when he was 17, sounded good....better than Bruce's really early stuff!

Saw Mark in Leeds last year and he told a story about when he was working for the local paper there. He seems a really nice guy, and it goes without saying, the show was great.

Much prefer his solo stuff to Dire Straits.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mariasbed said:

Love the Norwegian TV interview.  It was really moving seeing Susan's mother, and Mark's reaction to her.

Much prefer his solo stuff to Dire Straits.

I didn't see the interview - I'll have to watch that.

I like Mark solo … but I adore the band. Those early shows at the City Hall, Toon, were almost as good as a Bruce show. I remember the first time the saxophonist joined the band - I was in seventh heaven.

Well, that's kicked my morning off with a shock. While it was lovely to see Susan's mam again - I didn't know Susan had died. I'm not in contact with people from that time - apart from my brother obviously - and hadn't heard. Nice interview, though - thanks for pointing that out, better knowing than not.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Sorry that you had to start the day with bad news, hadn't even considered that you might not know Susan had died.

I'd rather know. I went to her house in Gosforth once, with others - she was in a different class but the same one as a mate of mine. She had an older brother called Peter (I think) … very like each other in looks.

Quite a few of my school pals from the 2nd Grammar I went to have died - no reason to think that pals from Gosforth would all be here to tell the tale.

One of the reasons I don't complain about getting old. They didn't have that option. 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Ibbhomero said:

From Patti Insta. I love the photo. And I'm disappointed, Bruce doesn't seem like a decrepit old man ...

haircut.JPG

This is perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, Ibbhomero said:

From Patti Insta. I love the photo. And I'm disappointed, Bruce doesn't seem like a decrepit old man ...

haircut.JPG

we need more pictures like this

thanks Patti :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

When it comes to gettin a dirty job done...

imangine poor Mrs Bon Jovi having to cut her jersey boy's hair :lol:

So...this happened...

I was trying to delete a post (of mine) in our Coronavirus thread and managed to delete the whole thread.  Karsten is diligently working to revive it.  Let us hope.  My apologies to all.

@AMIW you will be relieved to know that the nurses have rescinded my unsupervised Internet access indefinitely.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

So...this happened...

I was trying to delete a post (of mine) in our Coronavirus thread and managed to delete the whole thread.  Karsten is diligently working to revive it.  Let us hope.  My apologies to all.

@AMIW you will be relieved to know that the nurses have rescinded my unsupervised Internet access indefinitely.

sigh between you and Mikey :angry:

I do not know how Marva and Judy put up with you two :D

• Haha 1