9 hours ago, misty rain said:

I don't see it as attention-seeking. I see it as musicians doing what they do best. Connecting, offering comfort, or just a bit of entertainment. Helping us to feel that we are all in this together.

I think it's ironic- musicians/celebrities give their opinions on politics, and people say they should shut up and sing. Now they do just that, and still some criticize it.

As for Bruce, I think the fans would love it if he did something musical (not saying he has to).

“Shut up and sing” applies when I am a paying captive audience member and Bruce is talking politics.  The current situation is neither of those.

At home I can just tune out these PSAs.

"Tomorrow there'll be sunshine and all this darkness past...……." - go give it a spin folks (preferably from Live in NYC and turn it up to 11)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 3/23/2020 at 7:30 PM, Pregnant Sally said:

I couldn't care less if he doesn't follow the herd to do anything.  Why would he possibly have to say something?

It's not like he's a spokesperson for the world's ills.  

Maybe I missed the part where people were insisting he had on obligation to do something. My impression was that many of us thought it would be a really nice thing to do, given that others are doing it, it's something relatively easy to do, and something at which he's absolutely spectacular. As for following the herd—beyond how oddly dismissive that is of the artists who are choosing to put on free concerts for people—Bruce Springsteen is many, many things, but a trailblazer isn't all that high on that list: almost his entire career consists of paying careful attention to what others are doing, deciding what works well and what doesn't, and then doing a brilliant job at doing what others have previously done and making it his own. (Notable exception: following Guns n' Roses' model on releasing two albums at once.) 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Maybe I missed the part where people were insisting he had on obligation to do something. My impression was that many of us thought it would be a really nice thing to do, given that others are doing it, it's something relatively easy to do, and something at which he's absolutely spectacular. As for following the herd—beyond how oddly dismissive that is of the artists who are choosing to put on free concerts for people—Bruce Springsteen is many, many things, but a trailblazer isn't all that high on that list: almost his entire career consists of paying careful attention to what others are doing, deciding what works well and what doesn't, and then doing a brilliant job at doing what others have previously done and making it his own. (Notable exception: following Guns n' Roses' model on releasing two albums at once.) 

Excuse me?  The title of the thread was "what will Bruce do" so I responded why does he have to do anything?  Other than the causes he supports he normally doesn't tweet about it or speak up , which I outlined.  And gimme a  break insinuating my herd comment was dismissive of other artists, which I also outlined a few times I know why they're doing it, doesn't mean others are going to to do the same, nor should they expected to do so.  

So you didn't miss any part about any artist being "obligated."  

31 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

Feh. Another one of the sheeple horde has tried to parlay this disaster into fame. 

https://www.stereogum.com/2078245/neil-young-fireside-session-second-rarities-watch/video/

Who said anything about people trying to hijack fame on this?  Guess I missed this part myself.  

: almost his entire career consists of paying careful attention to what others are doing, deciding what works well and what doesn't, and then doing a brilliant job at doing what others have previously done and making it his own. (Notable exception: following Guns n' Roses' model on releasing two albums at once.) 

Really?! This is what "almost his entire career consists of"? I truly did not know that ...

I was lost on that part myself.  Musically I agree with the premise, most artists pay great attention to what others are doing, but we're talking about a pandemic here, not whether or not Guns were the first to put out two albums at once.  

(Notable exception: following Guns n' Roses' model on releasing two albums at once.) 

.....mid-80s video clips (some of them).....disco remixes....

In reverse, more mid-80s: Live 1975-85 was something not really ever done before, such a huge and ambitious live box (except Dylan with Biograph, but that was not a live set of course, even if it had some live songs).

The real arguments against Bruce not being innovative -or a 'trailblazer'-  are Nebraska and Seeger Sessions (and without doubt, there will be more counter-arguments, but these are the two that spring to mind immediately).

In a negative way: MTV Plugged. Not doing what everyone else did, against the format and the name of the show, in a time when the Unplugged format was very popular and succesful; stubborn but not in a good way.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the imposter said:

Really?! This is what "almost his entire career consists of"? I truly did not know that ...

Bruce is a brilliant synthesizer, but I can't think of something notable he’s done in his career that was groundbreaking in some way—brilliant, yes, absolutely, but not trailblazing, even in a fairly small way.

It’s not exactly controversial to say the first album was extremely Dylanesque, the second was obviously heavily influenced by Astral Weeks, the third as he himself said was a combination of Roy Orbison and Phil Spector, The River was him doing his take on frat-rock and garage rock and rockabilly and the Byrds, and so on and so forth. His stage show drew heavily on James Brown, his early guitar soloing was clearly based upon Clapton's playing. Nebraska was his take on the country and folk he was really delving into for the first time and so on. He got into video later than any other artist of his stature, and the same with synthesizers and drum machines.

He has always sat back and observed until he was comfortable with a new move—just look at how late, again, relative to many other artists of his stature, he was at getting into the Nugs type services. 

This aren't meant as criticisms. There's nothing wrong with his approach, especially since the results are as phenomenal as they are. I'm actually a bit baffled as to why the idea of Bruce not being a trailblazer is controversial, and assume it has something to do with my unclear writing, rather than the argument.

(Caveat: an argument can obviously be put forth that no artist has not stood on the shoulders of those who came before, and that even Bach and Wagner and Stravinsky and Armstrong and Hendrix and the Velvet Underground and so on and so forth simply took an additional step or two, in which case this discussion is even more pointless.) 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I was lost on that part myself.  Musically I agree with the premise, most artists pay great attention to what others are doing, but we're talking about a pandemic here, not whether or not Guns were the first to put out two albums at once.  

Well, no, the idea was put forth that it'd be nice if Bruce did some livestreams like other artists. And you said 

I couldn't care less if he doesn't follow the herd to do anything.  

That's how we got here. Or, at least, how I did. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

just look at how late, again, relative to many other artists of his stature, he was at getting into the Nugs type services.

...and into a box set of unreleased songs-outtakes.

Many decisions to do, or not to do-especially not to do- something, in the 70s and 80s -probably less in the 90s- were influenced by his unhealthy perfectionism. He became more relaxed and less perfectionist in the new century (it is said one reason for this were anti-depressants).

• Like 1

i hope Bruce isnt as bored as some of us and picks now as a good time to peruse the board 

stay home, safe in your bubble Bruce 

do what ever you want so long as it's best safe practice in these unsafe times

we can all catch up after 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Really, I don’t need or want Bruce to do a single thing just now other than stay safe.   

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

2 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Well, no, the idea was put forth that it'd be nice if Bruce did some livestreams like other artists. And you said 

That's how we got here. Or, at least, how I did. 

You're making herd out to be a bad word when it is not.  For example, in philosophical terms all it means is collective behavior or many doing the same things, it does not mean "sheeple horde."  

4 minutes ago, fohguy said:

Sirius Xm tomorrow at 10am

Jim Rotollo says we’re gonna get a ‘surprise, surprise, surprise...’. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fohguy said:

Sirius Xm tomorrow at 10am

Hope I wake up to something good

4 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

Bruce is a brilliant synthesizer, but I can't think of something notable he’s done in his career that was groundbreaking in some way—brilliant, yes, absolutely, but not trailblazing, even in a fairly small way.

It’s not exactly controversial to say the first album was extremely Dylanesque, the second was obviously heavily influenced by Astral Weeks, the third as he himself said was a combination of Roy Orbison and Phil Spector, The River was him doing his take on frat-rock and garage rock and rockabilly and the Byrds, and so on and so forth. His stage show drew heavily on James Brown, his early guitar soloing was clearly based upon Clapton's playing. Nebraska was his take on the country and folk he was really delving into for the first time and so on. He got into video later than any other artist of his stature, and the same with synthesizers and drum machines.

He has always sat back and observed until he was comfortable with a new move—just look at how late, again, relative to many other artists of his stature, he was at getting into the Nugs type services. 

This aren't meant as criticisms. There's nothing wrong with his approach, especially since the results are as phenomenal as they are. I'm actually a bit baffled as to why the idea of Bruce not being a trailblazer is controversial, and assume it has something to do with my unclear writing, rather than the argument.

(Caveat: an argument can obviously be put forth that no artist has not stood on the shoulders of those who came before, and that even Bach and Wagner and Stravinsky and Armstrong and Hendrix and the Velvet Underground and so on and so forth simply took an additional step or two, in which case this discussion is even more pointless.) 

Springsteen on Broadway was groundbreaking I believe. Not many people making Western Stars type albums or concerts either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lilbud said:

Hope I wake up to something good

Wake up by 10am?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Wake up by 10am?

Got no classes this week, so I usually sleep til around 10

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, larf said:

Springsteen on Broadway was groundbreaking I believe. Not many people making Western Stars type albums or concerts either. 

Springsteen on Broadway was a (brilliant!) one-man show, a format which has been around, in one form or another, for at least decades, and more accurately probably over a century (depending upon your definition). 

As for (the brilliant!) Western Stars, it was very deliberately an attempt to do his version of a Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb sort of late 60s/early 70s SoCal pop song cycle. Again, absolutely phenomenal album! Not groundbreaking in the least. Heartbreaking, to be sure. 

(One of the things about Springsteen's career that's closest to being groundbreaking would be the fact that in his mid-50s to late 60s, he's written and recorded some of the finest music of his incredible career—now, that is nearly unprecedented. Curse you, Bob Dylan, for once again doing it first!) 

(One of the things about Springsteen's career that's closest to being groundbreaking would be the fact that in his mid-50s to late 60s, he's written and recorded some of the finest music of his incredible career—now, that is nearly unprecedented.

Richard Thompson.

Johnny Cash with his American Recordings.

Nick Cave.

9 hours ago, lilbud said:

Got no classes this week, so I usually sleep til around 10

I already have 5-6 hours in before 10am. 

Are you a college student or a high school student? If you're good with answering if not we are good. 

But you should start practicing getting up earlier as it will be the rest of your life. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I already have 5-6 hours in before 10am. 

Are you a college student or a high school student? If you're good with answering if not we are good. 

But you should start practicing getting up earlier as it will be the rest of your life. 

College student, I was getting up at 830-900 for my noon classes. Then we went on spring break, now it's extended for this week. And every class is moving online starting next week.

The extra week was to let professors move their stuff online.

• Like 2