Greasy Lake Community

Hello, just joined forum

Goodness what a friendly lot you are! So I've been aboard the train since a distant summer in Bognor Regis (perhaps the true English equivalent of Asbury Park despite Steve's glib Brighton comparisons) when staying with my Grandma, my uncle played me Born To Run. This would be 1978 I think. I remember buying Greetings on cassette that summer and listening to it in the dark in bed - you had to turn the tape over in the middle of Lost In The Flood. In between then and now I've been pretty lucky - I have seen Bruce live more often than I can remember, including Broadway; I've been lucky enough to have met Steve and Nils and had dinner with C. I've met Bruce a few times, the first in LA in 88 when I bumped in to him and Patti shopping on Melrose and then just as inadvertently met then again, with my daughters in Lake Como in the summer of 2017. He's always been just as awkward, shy and genuine as I hoped he would be so I knew it wasn't an act. In between the bootlegs and the queuing and the backache from the queueing and the music, I've met some terrific and kind people. I'm glad to be here. I'm 54 and rate Western Stars as highly as anything he's done, though depending on my mood I can find it devastating. I'm unsure whether to buy Gothenburg....anyone?

• Bruuuuce! 4

2 minutes ago, Jay777 said:

Goodness what a friendly lot you are! So I've been aboard the train since a distant summer in Bognor Regis (perhaps the true English equivalent of Asbury Park despite Steve's glib Brighton comparisons) when staying with my Grandma, my uncle played me Born To Run. This would be 1978 I think. I remember buying Greetings on cassette that summer and listening to it in the dark in bed - you had to turn the tape over in the middle of Lost In The Flood. In between then and now I've been pretty lucky - I have seen Bruce live more often than I can remember, including Broadway; I've been lucky enough to have met Steve and Nils and had dinner with C. I've met Bruce a few times, the first in LA in 88 when I bumped in to him and Patti shopping on Melrose and then just as inadvertently met then again, with my daughters in Lake Como in the summer of 2017. He's always been just as awkward, shy and genuine as I hoped he would be so I knew it wasn't an act. In between the bootlegs and the queuing and the backache from the queueing and the music, I've met some terrific and kind people. I'm glad to be here. I'm 54 and rate Western Stars as highly as anything he's done, though depending on my mood I can find it devastating. I'm unsure whether to buy Gothenburg....anyone?

So your a fan of the 78 intro then ...

police-interrogation-room-interior-with-cartoon-vector-28213011.jpg

14 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

So your a fan of the 78 intro then ...

police-interrogation-room-interior-with-cartoon-vector-28213011.jpg

Something tells me this is a lose-lose question....actually the older I get the less I find I am moved by the mid-period classics....these days I am drawn to the quirky faults of the early stuff on the classical lines of 21st Century B.

8 minutes ago, Wout said:

Welcome @Accountant Pete and @Jay777 !!! I loved both your introductions! 

Fresh blood! :D 

Question: what's your take on Lost in the Flood?

Oh, and definitely buy the newest archive release, it's GREAT Jay!!! 

LITF was always an interesting one as a non-American. I never got the Vietnam framework. As a young English boy it was always about the price of rebelling against authority - and the lines about Jimmy The Saint were the ones that really landed with me as a kid - here was a guy who had lost something somewhere and didn't know it. The poetic stuff at the end always sounded like a companion to the end of Jungleland to me in some fashion. Musically I liked its gritty melody. It didn't rock - early Bruce was syncopated and funky generally, later Bruce rocked, albeit self-consciously (and we know why now after the autobiography), and he never did rock'n'roll - but LITF always ground away in an earthy organic manner, for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wout said:

Welcome @Accountant Pete and @Jay777 !!! I loved both your introductions! 

Fresh blood! :D 

Question: what's your take on Lost in the Flood?

Oh, and definitely buy the newest archive release, it's GREAT Jay!!! 

To me Lost has remnants of Bruce's early  florid lyrics but they have a definite point here and drive the story forward. It is also the earliest example of his awareness of Vietnam War veterans.

It, draws parallels with Long Walk home 34 years later (one of my favourite Bruce songs as stated before).

It is my favourite track on Greetings and only behind Incident from the first two albums.

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, Jay777 said:

Pretty lucky?! I've met Nils, Steve and Max....all in the UK. But bumping into Bruce by Lake Como! :o

• Bruuuuce! 2

58 minutes ago, Jay777 said:

Something tells me this is a lose-lose question....actually the older I get the less I find I am moved by the mid-period classics....these days I am drawn to the quirky faults of the early stuff on the classical lines of 21st Century B.

But but but but ....so your a fan of a long kitty then ?

The 78 intro has a 2nd life in the 21st C, it was reborn 

Oh i remember waking up that morning and checking the setlist from the night before

I was running and yelling around our tiny little flat at 4.45 am so happy because dreams had come true

Now i just NEED to experience it for myself

15 minutes ago, Jay777 said:

LITF was always an interesting one as a non-American. I never got the Vietnam framework. As a young English boy it was always about the price of rebelling against authority - and the lines about Jimmy The Saint were the ones that really landed with me as a kid - here was a guy who had lost something somewhere and didn't know it. The poetic stuff at the end always sounded like a companion to the end of Jungleland to me in some fashion. Musically I liked its gritty melody. It didn't rock - early Bruce was syncopated and funky generally, later Bruce rocked, albeit self-consciously (and we know why now after the autobiography), and he never did rock'n'roll - but LITF always ground away in an earthy organic manner, for me.

A serouse question 

Is that because the UK didnt fight in  the Vietnam war ? 

7 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

A serouse question 

Is that because the UK didnt fight in  the Vietnam war ? 

Yes I think so. Maybe adults would have got the references here but a 13 year old kid was unlikely to have even heard of the place. I learnt most of my initial awareness of that war through Himself.

And with regard to Kitty's Back - long or short - always been one of three songs I struggled with. Just smelt of bad jazz to me. Sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay777 said:

Yes I think so. Maybe adults would have got the references here but a 13 year old kid was unlikely to have even heard of the place. I learnt most of my initial awareness of that war through Himself.

And with regard to Kitty's Back - long or short - always been one of three songs I struggled with. Just smelt of bad jazz to me. Sorry.

I have learnt alot about America and her people from Bruce Springsteen, also through the medium of greasylake my interest and understanding of people from America but also some other countries and also of people with different beleaves than me

He really has made the world a smaller, more friendly place

But i also came out of the womb being pro American, i remember as a kid the first time i really listened to the lyrics of BITUSA and being a bit uncertain 

NZ  fought in Vietnam 

But i was happy to discover Bruce may have been anti war but he was not anti soliders or  more importantly anti veteran, as some still were in the mid 80s,  ive felt so proud of him all the work he has done to supoort vetrens over the years 

Which brings me to Kitty

I pretty much hate Jazz but i watched Max and his big band perform it on an early stand up for heros and got hooked 

Every fandom is different, i just wish Bruce would stop wasting kitties on people who don't love her and give me one

• Bruuuuce! 1

21 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

@Accountant Pete, @Thundy & @Jay777 - opinions on Tom Morello's contribution? He divides opinion round here! 

Yeh, I know. I have been lurking for a while.

First off he's a Bruce fan. Now being a Bruce fan doesn't mean that someone can't be an asshole. Chris Christie from the other side of the political spectrum demonstrates that.

No-one can surely deny Tom is a great guitarist. Really great. Perhaps the greatest innovator of his generation. I love his "scratching" on GOTJ. I imagine some fans felt it was too much a diversion from the Springsteen norm.

Tom Morello can come across as arrogant. It's not an attractive characteristic, about his politics. But, where music is concerned he has displayed humility.

Tom has stated that Bruce has influenced him a lot. That you don't have to batter people over the head with it and make pertinent statements through the experiences of individual men and women. For example he has said one of his favourite songs is The Promise. 

It was almost charming how Tom felt so nervous joining the band on tour and having to learn all these songs to play. Like a quarter back having to learn a new playbook in a few days after just watching the team on TV. The guy does have balls and talent.

Think how many more he had to learn than Nils in 1984! 

Tom was a muse for Bruce. We know Bruce likes to work with new musicians. In rejuvenates him. It happened the other way round. Bruce got Tom into appreciating folk music.

In the end it may come down to politics. There are Lakers who don't like it when Bruce gets too overtly political especially party political. It's a case of "stick to the music". Where politics is concerned Tom Morello is right in your face about his politics.

I an America with a toxic cultural decide then Tom Morello is divisive as a person. In the end you cannot divide Tom from his politics anymore than you can undo an omelette. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:20 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

I have learnt alot about America and her people from Bruce Springsteen, also through the medium of greasylake my interest and understanding of people from America but also some other countries and also of people with different beleaves than me

He really has made the world a smaller, more friendly place

But i also came out of the womb being pro American, i remember as a kid the first time i really listened to the lyrics of BITUSA and being a bit uncertain 

NZ  fought in Vietnam 

But i was happy to discover Bruce may have been anti war but he was not anti soliders or  more importantly anti veteran, as some still were in the mid 80s,  ive felt so proud of him all the work he has done to supoort vetrens over the years 

Which brings me to Kitty

I pretty much hate Jazz but i watched Max and his big band perform it on an early stand up for heros and got hooked 

Every fandom is different, i just wish Bruce would stop wasting kitties on people who don't love her and give me one

I agree. But I couldn't help laughing at the accidental(?) double entendre in the last three words!:P 

• Haha 1

I don't mind Bruce having a political opinion Pete- its his show and im happy to listen

But i dislike commie tommie 

I hate those untidy guitar strings and i hate every second he is on stage taking attention away from Steve and Nils

His playing sounds like a street cat fight 

3 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

I agree. But I couldn't help laughing at the accidental(?) double entendre in the last three words!:P 

Well .... lets just say i wouldn't say no :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I don't mind Bruce having a political opinion Pete- its his show and im happy to listen

But i dislike commie tommie 

I hate those untidy guitar strings and i hate every second he is on stage taking attention away from Steve and Nils

His playing sounds like a street cat fight 

True about Nils. Even without Tom he gets less interaction with Bruce than Steve. How lucky Bruce was to get Nils to replace Steve in the band. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

True about Nils. Even without Tom he gets less interaction with Bruce than Steve. How lucky Bruce was to get Nils to replace Steve in the band. 

I adore Nils and i didn't know Bruce before Nils joined the band

When the high hopes tour came to NZ Nils and Steve looked kind of lost on stage when Tommie Commie was doing the big cat scratch - but Tommy was Bruce's guest, i clapped and did give him respect. The casual bucket listers loved him - but i  clapped sooooo hard for Nils in Youngstown i think i had bruises 

As a (very armature forner) piano player it was Nils who taught be to respect the guitar - but it was Bruce who gave me the love for it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Accountant Pete said:

Great for Bruce's ego that Patti has to still be wary of groupies.:D

If i were Patti id have Bruce on a leash in the nude playing the 78 intro before i would make his breakfast ! 

Its really nice to think of something that doesn't end in.   -19 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I adore Nils and i didn't know Bruce before Nils joined the band

When the high hopes tour came to NZ Nils and Steve looked kind of lost on stage when Tommie Commie was doing the big cat scratch - but Tommy was Bruce's guest, i clapped and did give him respect. The casual bucket listers loved him - but i  clapped sooooo hard for Nils in Youngstown i think i had bruises 

As a (very armature forner) piano player it was Nils who taught be to respect the guitar - but it was Bruce who gave me the love for it 

Yep. Nils was my first E Street band guitarist. He is so much more than big hats. 

• Like 1