Greasy Lake Community

NEW ARCHIVE GOTHENBURG 28 JULY 2012 - LOST IN THE FLOOD!!!

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Very good review (again). Listening to Where the Bands Are, I thought exactly what you were saying - it was played really well. Love that song, and I love it at Ullevi.

Remembering back to that summer, I thought it was amazing that Bruce's voice was still working on this night. It was better the night before, but between July 21st and 28th there were 5 (!) shows in Norway and Sweden (I got see them all), and we were constantly waiting for Bruce to actually play The 4-hour Gig. I guess a lot of money was on the last Gothenburg show, but as it turned out it was shorter than the show in Oslo. Not that it mattered one bit, because it wouldn't have been more magical if it had been The 4-hour Gig.

For me, I finally got to hear I'm Goin' Down (which was the last song from BITUSA I'd never heard until then - in Oslo the same went for Streets of Fire, so I managed to hear all of BTR, DOTEOT and BITUSA outside of album shows), but it was Frankie and Jungleland that were The Songs of the night. Frankie a complete surprise, unrecognizable from the intro and Bruce claiming that it was a The River song, it was so beautiful, and the stadium was so beautifully lit, a reprise of the reaction to Drive All Night the night before.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Thanks a lot. My deepest respect for your insight to the tours, shows and songs, Etc.

"When a show from 2012 is released I see comments saying this is a skippable show, and to each their own, but there’s a lot of magic in the Ullevi night. It shouldn’t be missed out on." 

I simply do not understand why some people see these as skippable. To me the WB album is the latest and greatest album in years, and with songs that touched me in a lot, and still does. The shows I attended in 2012 (and 2013) was so great. Roskilde 7/7-2012 was so fantastic. 40 years of festival at Roskilde, and then came Bruce and the ESB and gave us the best concert ever by any artist at this venue. (Press review. approx 83.000 attended.)

It also has a personal story to it, yes.
But I still love the WB album and even more the WB tour. An Album Tour as in the old days. And a Rock Album with heart and political aspects. 

Bruce. Keep on knocking ..... we need it more than ever :

I been knocking on the door that holds the throne
I been looking for the map that leads me home
I been stumbling on good hearts turned to stone
The road of good intentions has gone dry as a bone

- - - 

• Like 6

For me, the WB tour was Bruce's highest point tour-wise since 1988. Interesting, since Bruce appeared to be at his most loose in 2012-13 ( him choosing what to play after Frankie) and was at his most rigid in 1988. Two opposites there, but both tours had horns...hmmmm.

• Like 5

My god was it raining that day in the queue...It rained so much at times I spontaneously started to laugh.
Therefore it was a fitting start with Who'll stop the rain.
It was cool that they played Where the bands are and of course one of the highlights was getting to hear Jungleland live and it being the first time since Clarence's passing. Another one was getting to hear The ties that bind live and the main highlight for me was probably getting to hear The River.
I can't remember if I thought night 1 or 2 was the better show, but based on the setlists I think I'd go with this night now.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

My god was it raining that day in the queue...It rained so much at times I spontaneously started to laugh.
Therefore it was a fitting start with Who'll stop the rain.
It was cool that they played Where the bands are and of course one of the highlights was getting to hear Jungleland live and it being the first time since Clarence's passing. Another one was getting to hear The ties that bind live and the main highlight for me was probably getting to hear The River.
I can't remember if I thought night 1 or 2 was the better show, but based on the setlists I think I'd go with this night now.

To me, night 2 was the better show, but not by much. Night 1 was an anniversary of sorts for me - July 27th was the date of my first show back in 1988 - we got an amazing Drive All Night (just like in 2008, but back then with the Big Man on the  saxophone), Girls In Their Summer Clothes... 

• Like 1

At the time I thought this was the best concert of the ones I'd been to since Stockholm 1988. And I have been to all of the Swedish ones. When I listen to the recording now 8 years later I think I was right. Everything is great about it. After this, Stockholm 2013 was a disappointment - not bad, but back to his usual later years level of performance. 

• Like 3

Great show and good to see whilst lots of other artists are offering free stuff or reduced costs to their hardcore fanbase Bruce Inc is charging full price for this.

Wilco put up exclusive free content on their website and slashed the price of their downloads as soon as coronavirus hit. I'm pretty sure Bruce & Landau have more money than Tweedy

13 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

To me, night 2 was the better show, but not by much. Night 1 was an anniversary of sorts for me - July 27th was the date of my first show back in 1988 - we got an amazing Drive All Night (just like in 2008, but back then with the Big Man on the  saxophone), Girls In Their Summer Clothes... 

This is from that night, yes?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yep. And what a night it was.

I have a friend who moved to Gothenburg about two years ago... He takes great photos. He sent me one of the stadium... He is quite young, does not know Springsteen but I said to him you have no idea how big a deal that building is to Springsteen fans! :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I have a friend who moved to Gothenburg about two years ago... He takes great photos. He sent me one of the stadium... He is quite young, does not know Springsteen but I said to him you have no idea how big a deal that building is to Springsteen fans! :D

Wow, that's so cool! 

Yeah, it's definitely legendary, I remember before Bruce's return in 2003 (first show after 1985), that it was a big deal. And I gotta say, the people of Gothenburg are the best audience, better than Stockholm, even. My absolute favourite venue to see Bruce, actually.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lilbud said:

It's kinda strange how generic the cover is. With how important it is, I'm surprised that Jake isn't on the cover.

I fixed that though, couldn't find a good quality picture (a few ten thousand people at Ullevi, no pics of Jake. Though funnily enough, there are at least 20 pics of the saxophone in the spotlight.) Ended up using one from Fenway Park a few weeks later (speaking of Fenway, cough cough)

RjUN4cp.jpg

Out of interest, I know it's from the night before, but you can get some pretty cool screengrabs from the Drive all Night video on Bruce's channel. Maybe another possibility?

Jakie 27 July 2012 2.jpeg.png

Jakie 27 July 2012.jpeg.png

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Out of interest, I know it's from the night before, but you can get some pretty cool screengrabs from the Drive all Night video on Bruce's channel. Maybe another possibility?

Jakie 27 July 2012 2.jpeg.png

Jakie 27 July 2012.jpeg.png

Yes, great idea! Feels a little odd to have a cover photo from a different venue, city and even country. I will definitely go for a Ullevi photo for my homemade cover.

33 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Yes, great idea! Feels a little odd to have a cover photo from a different venue, city and even country. I will definitely go for a Ullevi photo for my homemade cover.

I just don't have the font unfortunately... Hoping @lilbud will kindly assist... :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I just don't have the font unfortunately... Hoping @lilbud will kindly assist... :)

Here is the font: https://mega.nz/file/glgRFSyB#b7bswg0RbwudAOKFteORFA0zZe0h8Ev6hwRb7MhURkk

I made it myself a few years back.

And here is a new cover. (Doesn't have Jake, but it's definitely from this venue)

dDm8VKg.png

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

What program would I use to add text to a photo?

Something like Photoshop, GIMP and Paint.net are good free alternatives

Although, I guess MS Word could be a quick replacement

12 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Something like Photoshop, GIMP and Paint.net are good free alternatives

Although, I guess MS Word could be a quick replacement

I often use a free program called befunky to create cover art these days. But you are limited to the fonts on that particular program.

I used to spend HOURS making CD art, back, front, spines... Now it's just a wee square that goes on my phone screen....