Greasy Lake Community

NEW ARCHIVE GOTHENBURG 28 JULY 2012 - LOST IN THE FLOOD!!!

My lucky day is a song which doesn’t seem to work well live. I’ve heard it a few times live and it always disappoints.

It’s a strange one really because the tempo of it really should be conducive to a great live performance, and when the album came out it was easy to imagine it going down well in concert. But the recorded version is much better. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

My lucky day is a song which doesn’t seem to work well live. I’ve heard it a few times live and it always disappoints.

It’s a strange one really because the tempo of it really should be conducive to a great live performance, and when the album came out it was easy to imagine it going down well in concert. But the recorded version is much better. 

We need the acoustic version from London 2013. 

• Like 1

some quick thoughts...

I always loved the WB tour and can see why others do as well, including a reclusive hunkered down friend of ours in New Jersey.

I love it, the passion, the energy. All of it. 

Lost in the Flood

Downbound Train

My Lucky Day (with the fuck ups)

Saint in the City (My lucky song: He must have time traveled and remembered that awful elevator ride and marveled at the life it gave him)

Frankie is a moment of wonder, and it fits the night so well. A night of ghosts, young and old.

Then.....the WB staples all presented in thier truth and beauty. 

That marvelous encore...Jungleland, my god if it doesnt break your heart u dont have a soul.

Taken in sequence, in 2020: Uniondale, Detroit, Gothenburg...a master stroke of music we need in our souls.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

some quick thoughts...

I always loved the WB tour and can see why others do as well, including a reclusive hunkered down friend of ours in New Jersey.

I love it, the passion, the energy. All of it. 

Lost in the Flood

Downbound Train

My Lucky Day (with the fuck ups)

Saint in the City (My lucky song: He must have time traveled and remembered that awful elevator ride and marveled at the life it gave him)

Frankie is a moment of wonder, and it fits the night so well. A night of ghosts, young and old.

Then.....the WB staples all presented in thier truth and beauty. 

That marvelous encore...Jungleland, my god if it doesnt break your heart u dont have a soul.

Taken in sequence, in 2020: Uniondale, Detroit, Gothenburg...a master stroke of music we need in our souls.

Especially Shackled and Drawn demonstrates that the E Street Orchestra on a whole somehow was much more...organic, had more plasticity on many songs, compared to the E Street Band in 2016. 

• Like 3

This is a brilliantly balanced setlist, in the sense of the mix of Bruce 101 stuff for casuals and the rarities for the diehards.

And the well known stuff is spread fairly evenly across the show, not all shoehorned into the last third or so of the night.

I haven't listened to it all, but there's a loose sloppiness here in parts I quite like also... yes, Lucky Day I count  in that category, the attempt to get LITF up and going.

Good stuff

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I said it was "wild" in my write up, you can take that whatever way you please :lol:

I think its a fun listen, I do love that song and it SHOULD work live......I like this version of it. 

• Like 2

I guess I just don't have the technical ears others have, as I find nothing wrong with My Lucky Day on this. 

It happens to be my favorite on that album and maybe that's why. Plus if played more it would only get better and better. This could easily be played in lieu of say Out in the Street.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

This is a brilliantly balanced setlist, in the sense of the mix of Bruce 101 stuff for casuals and the rarities for the diehards.

And the well known stuff is spread fairly evenly across the show, not all shoehorned into the last third or so of the night.

I haven't listened to it all, but there's a loose sloppiness here in parts I quite like also... yes, Lucky Day I count  in that category, the attempt to get LITF up and going.

Good stuff

I feel the same.

Its wonderful the way this version of the band plays. I have got the WB bug now and am playing all of them.

• Like 4

Finally listened to new release. I am really fan of the WB-songs and they are played so intense and in combination with some nice rareties it is a pleasant listening experience. Most special for me was the 10Th Avenue Freeze Out and Jungleland combo with the Big Man rememberence. It really gives me shivers.

I am really happy with this WB release!!

• Like 3

The way "Shackled and Drawn" is played is so much better than any other version I've heard. I was very pleasantly surprised at the time. When I heard the first notes at the stadium I was thinking "Oh, fuck! Not that one!" And after a while "Wow! This is how it is supposed to sound!" Superbly done, like so much that night!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBoss said:

The way "Shackled and Drawn" is played is so much better than any other version I've heard. I was very pleasantly surprised at the time. When I heard the first notes at the stadium I was thinking "Oh, fuck! Not that one!" And after a while "Wow! This is how it is supposed to sound!" Superbly done, like so much that night!

Yes, just compare this to Gothenburg 4 years later...

Paolo mentioned that the intro was laughably short compared to Helsinki, and it is, but I think - and this is my personal opinion - it was cut that short because of Bruce's voice. It was really tired. It wouldn't say it was shot, though. I believe the intro was longer the night before, and also in Bergen. But it's the outro, that's where it's at...Cindy just letting loose...:wub:

Every time I play this show I think of what Erik wrote in his essay, about Robert Fripp and his status on live recordings - I seem to recall a poster who shared a similar mindset, but he was a lot more aggressive about - and it's got me thinking. You all know I want the Sunderland show more than any other, but in listening to Gothenburg I'm really loving that I'm getting a chance to hear the concerts from 2012 I've never listened to all the way through, or at all. 

As long as it gets released someday, I think I might be happy to wait for the show I was at in 2012 and instead enjoy the ones from '12-13 I wasn't at. So @nugs, bring on that St. Paul show everybody on BTX talks about, bring on Wembley and Kilkenny 2013, Paris and Hyde Park 2012. Let's get Rochester and Manchester, the shows from the San Siro and Nowlan Park, and while you're at it why not bring out the Isle of Wight and Cardiff too? 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

I had major plumbing problems over the weekend - now fixed - so i havn't listened yet :o

This is @Cecilia Sweden  's first show - the show that made her a fan

she is real busy right now back from retiremennt working at the radio station working on the news but is looking forward to downloading the show once she gets a breather 

Thank you @Daisey Jeepfor thinking about me and forgiving  me for my long absence. You are very kind and and generous. I promise to post my thoughts of this life changing show very soon. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Good to see you posting, hope all is well!

It is indeed, thank you @Paolo's Circus StoryI hope all is well with you too. I miss you lot, and I hope I’ll be able to see more of you soon. My family suddenly grew quite large again a while ago,  and I don’t seem to  have much time for myself at the moment. Thank you for remembering me!

• Like 3
  • Hug 1

First of all: As @Daisey Jeep says, this is my first, and the show that made me a fan. My brother in law got me a ticket, I was standing in the middle of the crowd, without seeing the stage, without seeing more than the top of Bruce’s head on a screen. I didn’t recognise more than maybe 1/4 of the songs. But his magic worked, and struck me like a lightning.He spoke to me, and I felt chosen. And I walked out of that stadium, determined to study and learn his whole catalogue and come back, knowing every word of every song on the set list to my next show. 

But: I kind of wish that this fantastic show hadn’t been my first. I wish it had been my fifth or tenth or twentieth. Because much as I loved the show, I wasn’t really able to appreciate all the details, or the beautiful mix of songs from different eras.I knew nothing.  I mean I hadn’t ever heard Thunder Road, or Jungleland, before, and didn’t have a clue what an emotional moment it was when Jake played that solo. I actually had no idea what I had witnessed. Only that it was pure greatness. 

A nice person from this forum sent me a bootleg from the show a couple of weeks later, so I was able to recap the songs, and by then I had already started my Springsteen education. By then I had at least learnt every word of Thunder Road. And Jungleland. 

I have many favourites, but I do have a special relationship with Jungleland. It’s a song that I still, almost eight years later,  need to be alone with.  It’s such a powerful experience.A private thing. I also need a minute of silence when it’s over, to catch my breath and get back to reality. It happened again when I listened to this much longed for archive release. I burst into tears over the vacuum cleaner in the bathroom.

I drove home from Gothenburg with my son, who was a member of the Ullevi crew, one of the people who built and took down the stage. He had found this piece of paper on the floor after the all the instruments were removed. 
I almost drove off the road when he pulled it out. D50B8943-5AC8-46E2-81E2-0107B556B18E.jpeg.e630926dc8452e233816a7a9c3971407.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

6 minutes ago, Cecilia Sweden said:

First of all: As @Daisey Jeep says, this is my first, and the show that made me a fan. My brother in law got me a ticket, I was standing in the middle of the crowd, without seeing the stage, without seeing more than the top of Bruce’s head on a screen. I didn’t recognise more than maybe 1/4 of the songs. But his magic worked, and struck me like a lightning.He spoke to me, and I felt chosen. And I walked out of that stadium, determined to study and learn his whole catalogue and come back, knowing every word of every song on the set list to my next show. 

But: I kind of wish that this fantastic show hadn’t been my first. I wish it had been my fifth or tenth or twentieth. Because much as I loved the show, I wasn’t really able to appreciate all the details, or the beautiful mix of songs from different eras.I knew nothing.  I mean I hadn’t ever heard Thunder Road, or Jungleland, before, and didn’t have a clue what an emotional moment it was when Jake played that solo. I actually had no idea what I had witnessed. Only that it was pure greatness. 

A nice person from this forum sent me a bootleg from the show a couple of weeks later, so I was able to recap the songs, and by then I had already started my Springsteen education. By then I had at least learnt every word of Thunder Road. And Jungleland. 

I have many favourites, but I do have a special relationship with Jungleland. It’s a song that I still, almost eight years later,  need to be alone with.  It’s such a powerful experience.A private thing. I also need a minute of silence when it’s over, to catch my breath and get back to reality. It happened again when I listened to this much longed for archive release. I burst into tears over the vacuum cleaner in the bathroom.

I drove home from Gothenburg with my son, who was a member of the Ullevi crew, one of the people who built and took down the stage. He had found this piece of paper on the floor after the all the instruments were removed. 
I almost drove off the road when he pulled it out. D50B8943-5AC8-46E2-81E2-0107B556B18E.jpeg.e630926dc8452e233816a7a9c3971407.jpeg

An excellent post. I can even relate to not properly knowing "Thunder Road" when I first heard it played - probably my biggest concert regret.

The one thing you wrote though that really stood out to me was this: 

determined to study and learn his whole catalogue and come back, knowing every word of every song on the set list to my next show. 

I don't know about anyone else on here, but this has pretty much been me since June 2012. I think it's the reason I'm still listening to Springsteen as much as I am, because if I ever see him with or without The E Street Band again (it's never going to happen, but still...), I can't not know the words to "Thunder Road", I can't be asking "what's this?" about a "Working on the Highway" or a "Point Blank". Like you said, there's a determination to be able to appreciate everything happening onstage.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1