Greasy Lake Community

NEW ARCHIVE GOTHENBURG 28 JULY 2012 - LOST IN THE FLOOD!!!

8 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

An excellent post. I can even relate to not properly knowing "Thunder Road" when I first heard it played - probably my biggest concert regret.

The one thing you wrote though that really stood out to me was this: 

I don't know about anyone else on here, but this has pretty much been me since June 2012. I think it's the reason I'm still listening to Springsteen as much as I am, because if I ever see him with or without The E Street Band again (it's never going to happen, but still...), I can't not know the words to "Thunder Road", I can't be asking "what's this?" about a "Working on the Highway" or a "Point Blank". Like you said, there's a determination to be able to appreciate everything happening onstage.

Exactly. And there’s indeed a lot to learn. And then all the outtakes, the obscure unreleased material...We are lucky aren’t we? 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, Cecilia Sweden said:

First of all: As @Daisey Jeep says, this is my first, and the show that made me a fan. My brother in law got me a ticket, I was standing in the middle of the crowd, without seeing the stage, without seeing more than the top of Bruce’s head on a screen. I didn’t recognise more than maybe 1/4 of the songs. But his magic worked, and struck me like a lightning.He spoke to me, and I felt chosen. And I walked out of that stadium, determined to study and learn his whole catalogue and come back, knowing every word of every song on the set list to my next show. 

But: I kind of wish that this fantastic show hadn’t been my first. I wish it had been my fifth or tenth or twentieth. Because much as I loved the show, I wasn’t really able to appreciate all the details, or the beautiful mix of songs from different eras.I knew nothing.  I mean I hadn’t ever heard Thunder Road, or Jungleland, before, and didn’t have a clue what an emotional moment it was when Jake played that solo. I actually had no idea what I had witnessed. Only that it was pure greatness. 

A nice person from this forum sent me a bootleg from the show a couple of weeks later, so I was able to recap the songs, and by then I had already started my Springsteen education. By then I had at least learnt every word of Thunder Road. And Jungleland. 

I have many favourites, but I do have a special relationship with Jungleland. It’s a song that I still, almost eight years later,  need to be alone with.  It’s such a powerful experience.A private thing. I also need a minute of silence when it’s over, to catch my breath and get back to reality. It happened again when I listened to this much longed for archive release. I burst into tears over the vacuum cleaner in the bathroom.

I drove home from Gothenburg with my son, who was a member of the Ullevi crew, one of the people who built and took down the stage. He had found this piece of paper on the floor after the all the instruments were removed. 
I almost drove off the road when he pulled it out. D50B8943-5AC8-46E2-81E2-0107B556B18E.jpeg.e630926dc8452e233816a7a9c3971407.jpeg

Great post. :)

• Thanks 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

15 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

, I can't not know the words to "Thunder Road", I can't be asking "what's this?" about a "Working on the Highway" or a "Point Blank". 

...but then remember the people at the show where Pilgrim In The Temple Of Love was played for the very first time (in London).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

An excellent post. I can even relate to not properly knowing "Thunder Road" when I first heard it played - probably my biggest concert regret.

The one thing you wrote though that really stood out to me was this: 

I don't know about anyone else on here, but this has pretty much been me since June 2012. I think it's the reason I'm still listening to Springsteen as much as I am, because if I ever see him with or without The E Street Band again (it's never going to happen, but still...), I can't not know the words to "Thunder Road", I can't be asking "what's this?" about a "Working on the Highway" or a "Point Blank". Like you said, there's a determination to be able to appreciate everything happening onstage.

My biggest concert regret when it comes to Bruce shows was probably not knowing This hard land when I got to hear it in a full band version in 2008. The song moved me to tears (it was played after Independence day which had also moved me to tears), but I wish I knew it. The other example I can think of was not knowing Janey don't you lose heart when I got to see it (full band) the same year.

• Like 2

I hope that this show sells millions of copies. And that Bruce & Co realise that it's all because this show included "Lost in the flood". And that we then don't have to wait so long on the next archive release with this song :P 

On 4/11/2020 at 4:50 AM, stillilllife said:

My biggest concert regret when it comes to Bruce shows was probably not knowing This hard land when I got to hear it in a full band version in 2008. The song moved me to tears (it was played after Independence day which had also moved me to tears), but I wish I knew it. The other example I can think of was not knowing Janey don't you lose heart when I got to see it (full band) the same year.

I'd love to hear a song I don't know yet at a Springsteen show.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'd love to hear a song I don't know yet at a Springsteen show.

Hearing the first performance of long walk home at Wembley arena in 2006 was a great experience. It had an extra verse and the subtle band background instruments made for a stunning and unique version. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wout said:

I hope that this show sells millions of copies. And that Bruce & Co realise that it's all because this show included "Lost in the flood". And that we then don't have to wait so long on the next archive release with this song :P 

I hope it does too and that he gives the profit to people who need it more in these times.

7 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I'm a Coward? Part Man, Part Monkey? Brothers Under The Bridge?

Some songs at my very first show in 1988: Light Of Day, Have Love Will Travel, Can't Help Falling In Love, Chimes Of Freedom and also I'm A Coward. (But I knew Boom Boom!:) (in the Yardbirds version, not the original)).

Easy to forget, but also LOHAD and Dream Baby Dream, which I knew both would be played as the last song of the show (in 1999 and 2005), but had not heard yet. LOHAD was -and still is-a little bit 'meh'  (not one of my favourite Bruce Springsteen songs, to say the least); but Dream Baby Dream was...indeed something special, the magic for which -I think- you had to be there, not something you can fully understand from only hearing the 2005 boots (and the High Hopes studio version is just dull).

Edit: and also Brothers Under The Bridge in 1996, which I knew would be played thanks to reading reviews of the tour, but heard for the first time during the show I saw in 1996.

When The Saints Go Marching In and How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live? in 2006 (But I knew Long Black Veil, a real surprise; not a song you would ever expect to hear in a cover version by Bruce Springsteen!)

Many Rivers To Cross, in 1993.:ph34r: Well. Let's just say this song was not the highlight of the show...:o (Not that I remember everything of this show very well after all those years, but I remember thinking something like: 'What is this???') (A Jimmy Cliff cover... OK. Jimmy Cliff covers were better when they started with a 'T':D).

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 8:04 PM, Wout said:

I hope that this show sells millions of copies. And that Bruce & Co realise that it's all because

the chemistry with the Swedish audience. And that we don't have to wait that long for Ullevi '85! :P

• Like 2

Been listening to Frankie from this a lot lately, and I have to say:...well, I'm, speechless, really. It's not note-perfect, but the performance is staggeringly great. The intro, and maybe especially, the outro are amazing. This performance - both the song and the crowd itself is one of my absolute Top 10 Springsteen moments.

I  also think that this is one of the very few songs that has aged extremely well, and actually has gotten better with time. Listened to the '76 version yesterday, and although it's good, my favourite - ultimate - version is this one from Gothenburg, and by a long shot, too. Not just because I was there (though it helps), but the tempo has mellowed beautifully. In 76 it was more energetic or frantic - too frantic, never thought I'd say that. A song a young Bruce wrote for an older Bruce.

Also, Where The Bands Are is played very well, better than I can recall any version I've heard in concert. I always liked it when it followed Tenth Avenue in 1999-2000, thematically and musically a good pairing. The "slow" start is deceptive, because the song really gets going; the drums seem to almost fall over the other instruments from behind, the play it kinda loose, but with just the right amount of control. The multiple background vocals and horns also contribute to this song being a highlight. And, it's played at a good speed, too - it doesn't plod.

I've also rediscovered Shackled and Drawn , fantastic live in 2012 (and 2013). The Helsinki version is a bit better, but this is Cindy's song, really. Love Bruce and Cindy "singin' this song" in the last portion of the song.

• Like 7

One of my alltime favourite shows, if not THE favourite, in one of my favourite places to see Bruce

Unfortunately, I've become very good at catching the Who'll Stop the Rain shows in recent years, without actually knowing the trick, so its a good thing its a beautiful song that Bruce and the ESB play well. And to get Lost In the Flood, Backstreets and Jungleland all in the same show, that dosen't happen very often. And Ithat's even without mentioning Frankie (SO beautiful), Saint In the City and Where the Bands Are. On top of that a couple of personal favourites in The Ties That Bind and Downbound Train.

There really was 'magic in the night' on this rainy Gothenburg night.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, the-chickenman said:

One of my alltime favourite shows, if not THE favourite, in one of my favourite places to see Bruce

Unfortunately, I've become very good at catching the Who'll Stop the Rain shows in recent years, without actually knowing the trick, so its a good thing its a beautiful song that Bruce and the ESB play well. And to get Lost In the Flood, Backstreets and Jungleland all in the same show, that dosen't happen very often. And Ithat's even without mentioning Frankie (SO beautiful), Saint In the City and Where the Bands Are. On top of that a couple of personal favourites in The Ties That Bind and Downbound Train.

Absolutely, it was a good night. Strangely enough, it is not my favourite Ullevi concert (I've not seen all; not the '85 shows or the 3rd and last '16 show), but the 2nd show in 2003 is still my all-time favourite. That is taking into account both show and the surrounding atmosphere. 2012 is a very, very close 2nd - and based purely on performance and song selection, 2012 is the better concert.

In 2003 we camped outside the stadium for 2 nights, under a tarpaulin stretched over a couple of steel barriers (imagine the not very-ventilated air underneath the tarp - "air", it must have been 92 % CO2 by morning, we were 4 people sleeping under there...).

Fantastc weather, fantastic crowd, Nils' birthday, Midsummer...it was Bruce's return to Nya Ullevi and it was...fucking glorious. An American fan had come over, and saw Bruce in Oslo and 2 nights in Göteborg. She said night 2 was one of the best nights she had ever seen. She'd been a fan ansd seen shows since 1974, so I figured y'know...she most likely knew what she was talking about.

• Like 4

I still remember you posting pictures of that 'camp' back in the day, haha. As you know I've not seen all the Ullevi shows either, only started out in 2008. Had to settle for Copenahgen and Oslo in 2003, and in '85 I was, well, one year old, lol.

Its difficult to compare the shows, but second in 2012 is very very strong IMO, but as is the second in 2008, which was my first year going to Ullevi. I saw the third in 2016, and while the second had a killer setlist and a great performance, the magic Ullevi atmosphere was saved for the third and last that year.

Oh well, back to listening to the 2012 one, not nearly done with this great version of Where the Bands Are just yet. B)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

Why do I feel like having missed something in Bruceland up to date:huh:?

With 29 shows all across Europe and in the US, includig the wonderfull MSG snow show under my belt, just yesterday I told my wife, that - if Corona will prevent further shows from Bruce - I'd stay happy for the rest if my Concert life anyway.

BUT: there IS another point on my bucket list! Guess what??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theseshadows said:

Why do I feel like having missed something in Bruceland up to date:huh:?

With 29 shows all across Europe and in the US, includig the wonderfull MSG snow show under my belt, just yesterday I told my wife, that - if Corona will prevent further shows from Bruce - I'd stay happy for the rest if my Concert life anyway.

BUT: there IS another point on my bucket list! Guess what??

Hmmm..... One more chance to get a better spot than me in the pit?

:ph34r:;):D