Greasy Lake Community

The Official April 8th 2020 SiriusXM Bruce’s Farm SetListVision thread

31 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I grew up with a strong dislIke of the Garvey/Lopes/Cey, etc..... Dodgers.

Amen my Brother!!! I always wanted to to say to Cey, run like a fuckin man. 

Although I hated Bench, Rose and Perez as much! :P

11 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

I have to admit feeling a little guilt for liking the Dodgers.  I grew up in Cincy listening to Marty and Joe and used to go to the Nuxhall batting range in Hamilton at Joyce lark and met him several times. Once a summer he would bring in the greats froM the Big Red Machine and I was lucky enough to to meet Bench, Rose, Morgan along with others such as Casey and Larkin. Used to see Joe around town some too, always a friendly guy. Grew up disliking all the West Coast teams plus the Cards, Cubs, Phillies and Yankees and still dislike all of them. Started liking the Dodgers several years ago when visiting LA so much and seeing Dodger stadium and since the Reds haven’t done much adopted LA as my second team, head to head I still pull for the Reds. Saving grace, a visit to St Louis made me like the Cards even less. 

571161df7335f_BigRedMachine.jpg.a539ea9d85b73ab0de6e145facd4bc51.jpg

@Jertucky, Greatest team I've ever seen. Greatest move Sparky ever made was to move Rose to 3rd Base opening up leftfield for Foster! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

24 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

Saving grace, a visit to St Louis made me like the Cards even less.

What happened, Red get their asses handed to them again? :P

I don't know how this turned into a Rounders thread (as Andrew would call it)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Unfortunately the Reds haven’t been much to brag about lately. :-( 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I will say, St Louis has a beautiful stadium. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Loved the one where the dog starts playing with a squeaky toy halfway through and she's desperately trying not to laugh.

Well that's brightened up the day thanks for posting that.

A reminder of her Jersey roots aswell with the Princeton cap thinking of her dad in The Hard Way video

MCC putting out beautiful stuff like this for everyone & Bruce playing records on a radio station that some people are struggling to access,it does seem strange that he's not put at least one song out there,up to him of course but sure it would give many people pleasure to hear something. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AMIW said:

Well looks like @wout enjoyed himself...

I had a wonderful nap and dream,  I was on a farm with Bruce and lots of hot laker chickies.... we all watched Liverpool win the league on Bruce,s giant TV , after a rousing chorus of YNWA , Bruce played a short series of  songs finishing with solo acoustic INCIDENT..a nd all was well with the world again,

... and then I woke up :(

But at least your mannequin was still there with you.;)

• 2 months later...

I am finally starting to listen to this first SiriusXm Bruce Springsteen: From His Home to Yours

“3rd Base, Dodger Stadium,” Ry Cooder. “If you’re there by yourself, that ain’t so bad! I did 35 years by myself … and I liked it! (laughs) My son’s doing that now. Both of them. And they sound pretty happy. … What do you miss? Everybody misses something. What do you really miss? I miss going to Max’s and the Windmill and getting a hot dog. I miss walking along the promenades, the beach and boardwalk in Asbury Park. I miss sitting at the bar, having some beers and drinking with some friends. And I miss baseball. Baseball. I’m not much of a sports fanatic at all, but I do like baseball. And this is for all the things we miss. All the things that make us, us. And all I know is, when this is all over, I’m going to take Patti to a baseball game.”

The playlist for this first volume for the most is pretty unknown to me, so I go searching deeper in each song:

Before Dodger Stadium was built, Chavez Ravine was home to a Mexican-American community. Before Walter O’Malley and the Dodgers showed up, the land was destined for redevelopment under the National Housing Act of 1949 – which provided federal money to build public housing, among other things.The area was split up into three smaller neighborhoods: La Loma, Palo Verde, and Bishop.

In 1952 and 1953, the city of Los Angels almost bought all of the land of the Mexican-American owners, encouring them to sell property through a tiered buy-out scheme which offered increasingly lower amounts to sellers who stalled, exploiting their fear of losing out on the maximum payment, while in reality the prices paid were well below market value. While those who were against the selling of their land were forced out by Los Angeles County Sheriffs, which caused a great displacement of a group of people with no true place to relocate. By 1961, the final inhabitants were removed, some by force to make room for Dodger Stadium.

Against this background, the song written and performed by Ry Cooder is played out.
The song is about a former inhabitant of Chavez Ravine, whose house was located where now third base is. But instead of being disgruntled, the main character in the song, parks his car at the parking lot of Dodger Stadium and roots for the team that eventually was the cause of his removal from Chavez Ravine. The song Third base Dodger Stadium can be found on Ry Cooders’ album Chavez Ravine. In an interview with the New York Times, Cooder tells that there is still a city underneath third base.

See more https://dutchbaseballhangout.wordpress.com/2018/12/12/baseball-related-songs-third-base-dodger-stadium/

So ultimately, there is something fishy about this 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium song to be selected in the playlist. Especially if for Springsteen this is just "to take Patti to a baseball game.” But I will forgive him his arrogance. There are plenty of wonderfull other songs in the play list and still 5 other volumes to go!

• Like 1