8 hours ago, robk1 said:

Still it done my list. Was all set to narrow it down today.....but a friend who is in a rather severe and lonely Spanish lockdown suggested we do our top ten novels....so been thinking about that instead. Got til 10.00 tomorrow morning. I will then post on here ( in appropriate place )...and then do top 10 tunes.

i hope your friends ok

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:28 AM, Thunder Roadie said:

Time to dig out Rum sodomy and the Lash !!!

Sounds like a typical Friday night at my house.

• Haha 3

Here we go.

1..The Gift.Velvet Underground....instrumental, live at the Gymnasium?

2. Spiegel I'm Spiegel. Avro Part..voilin and piano version. Little and Roscoe

3.LA Blues. Stooges.

These were my three funeral songs when I was planning my funeral...but now decided not to have one. LA blues only really works if it is raining so, is replaced with..

3.Loose. Stooges.

4. I want you. Bruce.Main Point live.

5.Pills. The Lurkers version.( Has Bruce ever find it ,?,

6. Do you know how it feels to be lonesome ? Gram...but ISB version.

7. Bewlay Brothers. Bowie

8. Dead Souls. Joy Division.

9.No time for Love. Christy Moore/ Moving Hearts.

10.Bankrobber. The Clash.

Apologies to Costello, Chopin, Dylan , Beautiful South, Beethoven, Ramones, N You Dolls, Only Ones, Spiritualised, Tom Waits , Lennon and Wolf Alice....but I didn't make the rules.

This so tough. The only way I could do this exercise was to imagine it was like an executioners last meal and these were the last 10 songs I would hear.

Many of them I have over listened to over the years and they don't necessarily reflect the stuff I am listening to now but damn I would want to hear them as a last go around;

1) Crush with Eyeliner: REM

2) Dignity: Deacon Blue

3) Racing in the Street

4) Mississippi: Dylan (was so close to it being Shooting star)

5) The Ship Song: Nick Cave

6) Yellow Ledbetter: Pearl Jam

7) Did I ever Love you: Cohen

8) Look on down from the bridge: Mazzy Star

9) These are the days of our lives: Queen (I was a huge queen fan as a child)

10) Dont look back in anger: Oasis (I was a huge oasis fan as a teen

Many, many omissions; however which way I tried I couldn't jam in Jason Isbell, Ryan Adams, Gaslight Anthem/Brian, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Greenday, Tom waits... the list goes on and on. Man this was hard.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

7) Did I ever Love you: Cohen

Was I ever someone

Who love you forever?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

Was I ever someone

Who love you forever?

Kill me now.

Gypsy Biker -Bruce Springsteen

Mountains - Prince

Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Respect - Aretha Franklin

Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye

Redemption Song - Bob Marley

Be My Baby - The Ronettes

Superstitious - Stevie Wonder

A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

If You See Her Say Hello - Bob Dylan

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 6:36 PM, HeroOfVirtue said:

Ok, I have mine. Following rules apply - one song per musician with no double dipping across different project because that's cheating, and no Bruce at all because that's stupid. Because what's the point? The whole list would be Bruce songs if one of them is allowed, so no. Forget it. :lol: In no particular order:

The Horrible Crowes - Blood Loss

Social Distortion - I Was Wrong

Dropkick Murphys - The State of Massachusetts

Little Steven - I've Been Waiting

U2 - With or Without You

Johnny Cash - Hurt [cover]

The Clash - Spanish Bombs

Leonard Cohen - The Partisan [cover]

Nobuo Uematsu - Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Who'll Stop the Rain?

Blood loss. Yes! If this was top ten Albums Elsie would be in mine hands down.

Racing in the Street - BS

Couldnt love you more - John Martyn

Move on Up - Curtis Mayfield

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC

That’s the way - Led Zeppelin

Slippery People - Talking Heads

America - Simon & Garfunkel

The man with the child in his eyes - Kate Bush

Truth - Kamasai Washington

The Way I tend to be - Frank Turner

Thunder Road - Bruce

Like A Rolling Stone - Dylan

Before The Deluge - Jackson Browne

Case Of You - Joni Mitchell

Me & Bobby McGee - Kris Kristofferson

Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

Boulder To Birmingham - Emmylou

Hoochie Coochie Man - Muddy Waters

Aja - Steely Dan

Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison

————————————————————————-

Subs bench: Eagles - Take It Easy; The Band - The Weight; Ray Charles - What I’d Say; Cam Cooke - A Chance Is Gonna Come.

• Like 3

This is a really interesting thread I think. We all love Bruce, for some of us that's where it ends and for others we have lots in common. Much more fun than listing our top 10 Bruce's. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2020 at 5:57 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

prove it all night with 78 into

no others 

no one else 

You could pick a Bruce Springsteen song and a Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band song if you wanted to up it to two picks. :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

An interesting thread, indeed. As I'm not allowed to pick a hundred Bruce songs, maybe...

Bruce: The Price You Pay
Bob Dylan: Blowin' in the Wind
Drive-By Truckers: What It Means
Otis Gibbs: It Was a Train
Don Henley: The Boys of Summer
Prince: Purple Rain
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Who'll Stop the Rain
Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band: Against the Wind
Anssi Kela: 1972
PMMP: Tytöt

• Like 1

In no particular order and sticking to one song per artist... 

BS.      Incident on 57th St. 

Simple Minds. Waterfront 

Mighty Wah.   The Story of the Blues

Elvis.    American Trilogy

Proclaimers.   Sunshine on Leith 

Dave Matthew's.     Crush

Deacon Blue.     Dignity

S Express       Theme from S Express

Specials Aka      Free Nelson Mandela

Louis Armstrong.   Wendy Saints...

• Like 1

Let's try this.....

1. Bruce Springsteen LOST IN THE FLOOD

2. Roy Orbison - I drove all night

3. Dire Straits - Telegraph Road

4. ABBA - The Winner takes it all 

5. Andrea Bocelli - Con te partiro

6. Ennio Morricone - Ecstacy of gold

7. The Beatles - Hey Jude

8. Simon & Garfunkel - The sound of silence

9. U2 - The Unforgettable fire

10. The Police - Every breath you take

But tomorrow it probably changes... 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wout said:

Andrea Bocelli - Con te partiro

Beautiful song.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, Born To Walk said:

Little Children – Billy J Kramer With The Dakotas

My earliest music related memory, indeed maybe my earliest memory, is getting a picture of Billy J Kramer with coupons cut from packets of tea. My parents had very few pop records, but did have the Little Children EP, so I guess this was my earliest favourite record. Thirty years later I got to see him a few times on 60s package shows.

I’ll Get You – The Beatles

Maybe a strange choice for a huge Beatles fan. I was too young in the 1960s, although I was always aware of their existence and had one of those little plastic guitars that would be worth a fair bit of money in good condition today. Another of the rare pop records my parents owned was She Loves You, but I always liked the B side. It wasn’t until the late 1970s and 1980s that I became an obsessive and remember buying 1967-1970 from my first salary.

Where Do You Go To My Lovely? – Peter Sarstedt

As I started listening to the radio and getting into music this was an early favourite of mine. I saw him a few times later on, mostly as part of the 60s package shows which started in the mid 1980s. However I also saw him play a show with his brother Clive (AKA Robin) at Leeds City Varieties for an audience of probably 35 or so people and got to have a chat with him in the bar afterwards.

Alone Again (Naturally) – Gilbert O’Sullivan

In the early 1970s I listened to the radio as much as I could, either Radio 1 or, in the evening, the notorious fading signal of Radio Luxembourg. So many songs are evocative of that era, I could have picked Without You, anything by The Carpenters or many others that take me back to that time of my life, but this one by Gilbert O’Sullivan seems to stand out as being especially evocative of that time.

Rock and Roll I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life – Kevin Johnson

No particular story, just one of my all-time favourite records.

Kathy’s Song (Paul Simon Songbook version) – Paul Simon

In 1975 Radio 1 ran a six part series ‘Simon & Garfunkel – Together & Alone’ which led to me becoming obsessed with their music. Much as I loved their joint records, there was something about Paul’s stripped down solo versions that appealed to me. I’ve chosen Kathy’s Song, despite it being much the same as the S&G version, as I still consider it to be one of Paul’s finest songs.

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant – Billy Joel

A record this length was a rarity on daytime Radio 1, however I heard it one day and it intrigued me enough that I later found myself standing in Vallance’s electrical store holding a copy of The Stranger trying to decide whether to spend the grand sum of £3.79 (or was it £3.29?). I bought it, took it home and listened to this track through headphones. I soon had his earlier albums and bought all the subsequent ones as they were released. A great live performer who I first saw at Wembley Arena in 1984, the show prior to the one that was broadcast on BBC TV.

Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen

I was lying in bed one Saturday morning when this came on the radio. I thought it was fantastic and went to the little record shop in town later that morning and bought the album. From little acorns …..

Sequel – Harry Chapin

Like most UK Chapin fans I discovered his music via DJ Noel Edmonds. I knew, and liked, songs like WOLD, Cats In The Cradle and Flowers Are Red, but it was Noel Edmonds playing Sequel every week in late 1980 on his Sunday morning show that prompted me and a friend to start to investigate his music properly. I got to see Harry live a month or two later at Leeds University and, the following night, at York University, the first touring American artist I ever saw, beating Bruce by around four months. Sadly that was his last UK tour and he died a few months later. Having met him, his death probably hit me harder than John Lennon

Meet Me On The Corner – Lindisfarne

For many years Lindisfarne were the act which I’d seen live most times, starting with a show at Leeds Grand Theatre the week before those Harry Chapin concerts in 1981. I saw them support Bob Dylan and Santana at St James’ Park then enjoyed so many of their Christmas Shows through the second half of the 1980s and into the 1990s. Meet Me On The Corner was another song that is so evocative of that period growing up in the early 1970s, that it probably remains my favourite.

These aren’t intended to be my ten favourite records, but are special for the reasons stated. I would have liked to have included something by The Searchers (who I’ve seen as often as Bruce), The Carpenters (Karen’s voice makes me melt), Martyn Joseph and others. I’d also have liked to include something from Jesus Christ Superstar, the first of that type of show I ever saw which blew me away and is still one of my favourite shows.

Bugger! I've just realised I made an important omission, although I don't know which of the above to kick out.

Morningtown Ride - The Seekers 

Another early childhood memory, associated with Christmas and conjuring up images of Christmas morning opening presents in my parents' bedroom. It was such a thrill to go with mum to see them live in 2014 on their Golden Jubilee tour, and in particular to hear this song. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, whispered secret said:

This is a really interesting thread I think. We all love Bruce, for some of us that's where it ends and for others we have lots in common. Much more fun than listing our top 10 Bruce's. 

You get the regional classics too.

There have been some I haven’t been familiar with and it takes you down a rabbit hole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wout said:

1. Bruce Springsteen LOST IN THE FLOOD

But tomorrow it probably changes... 

I am going to take a guess that Lost in the Flood will be pretty safe to stay on the list, even with tomorrow’s change. 

• Like 1