Greasy Lake Community

We're all eternal Bruce fans here but when was the period that you were most enthralled and captivated by the great man?

For me it was the Summer of 2013.I'd only started listening to him properly at the start of 2012 as I had bought tickets for one of his shows that coming Summer.

The Wrecking Ball Tour remains a very special part of my music fandom;it remains my favourite Bruce tour by a mile.I remember waking up every morning after a concert he had played and checking the setlist.I couldn't believe it was constantly being changed night after night,nearly every time I checked it there would be a song he hadn't played in years or even decades.

This all built towards the crux that was Summer 2013,where I was completely obsessed with his music and it all crescendoed with 3 amazing gigs I attended in the very amazing and rare Irish heat.

What's yours?

• Like 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably somewhere between 11:30pm 12-31-80 and 1:25am 01-01-81. I was pretty amazed.

It's grown and grown. I didn't think that possible when I first got it not Bruce's music. But it is. The more music there is from Bruce the more there is to love. To go back to and analyse. Go ba

1975 until the present day...  sorry, ‘tis true.   Never been a lull; never been a time when he wasn’t head and shoulders far, far above all the other many artists I know and love.    Matter

Posted Images

1981 when I queued for 9 hours for tickets, posted postal orders to venues for tickets and pestered a CBS rep (and got them) for tickets for the River tour. Saw 3 shows and it's never been bettered for me, although I loved the Wrecking ball tour where I saw 9 shows.

• Like 2

Saw 5 Wrecking Ball shows and that is the most shows I have seen on any ESB tour, but in answer to your question I would say right now.

SOB and Western Stars  just reinforced my already massive inspiration from the guy's music and stage charisma. An inspiration I have had since the age of 17 in the early 80's.

• Like 4

Reunion Tour through Devils and Dust...became a fan in about 1999, and those years from 99 to, let's say, 2005 were pretty intense...

Bruce Springsteen and his music are still a welcome part of my daily life (as well as the Lake, at least passively...used to write a lot more on here back in the old days...)...but I don't obsess over anything anymore like I used to.

That being said, I have lot to thank Bruce and his music for...many of the things I did personally and professionally I wouldn't have done without being somehow inspired by the man and his music.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I've had several peaks. The USA/Tunnel of Love tours were the first and most intense. Then again during The Reunion/Rising Tours, and finally a last peak during The 2016 River tour. I dipped in the 90's (even though I liked Lucky Town and of course the Greatest Hits CD), but never really left my fandom of Bruce. I faded a little during the time after The Rising until Wrecking Ball, but again never really left. He's always been my favorite singer/songwriter and always will be.

• Like 1

The peak was from The Reunion and The Rising era.  I saw 10 shows on those two tours, travelling to different states.  My family and friends were all going to shows together.

It all changed during the VFC tour.  It was the first show I didn't attend.  I don't have a problem with Bruce stating his political views, but I wouldn't have gone to a political show of anyone no matter if agreed or disagreed.  And his openly political stances made some of my family members less interested and they were done by the end of the decade.

I still love listening to his music, but I'm perfectly fine waiting for NUGS sales to purchase archival shows.  

• Like 1

Put alot of cash into the magic and working on a dream tour. Lots of shows and trips. I was youngish and unattached to top totty so knew I had to do it then 

• Like 2

Bought my first Bruce single in 1975 but I suppose I was hit for six from 1980 - '93, especially the early part and during their Tour of the latter year. Southside and the Jukes began to 'take over' from '92 but I didn't start to lose the 'extreme fandom' for Bruce until after that Tour.

• Like 1

The Rising Tour and reignited during the Wrecking Ball tour.

I thought there will never be another band/performer quite as good as Bruce, but in recent years with Bruce's output of varying levels of quality and bands such as The National - who, live, actually surpass Bruce and The E Street Band in my view, and The War on Drugs (studio), my 'fandom' has waned.  

• Like 1

If I had to pick one moment in time it was 2009, mostly because I saw 9 shows that year. But I would do it again so maybe that's not a great metric for a peak. It's less of a peak and more of a plateau that began in 2007 and continues to today.

That said there was one valley, much easier to identify than a peak: 2017-2018. The disgusting prices for SOB pissed me off so much I definitely lost some interest. 2019 fixed that in a big way.

• Like 2

Interesting that some of you have had several peaks.I've more or less stopped listening to him the past 18-24 months,not necessarily because I was sick of him,but because I want to preserve the magic of future listenings.

Looking forward to my next peak!

• Like 1

I don't view this in terms of peaks and troughs - it is love for me, constant and faithful. Might seem sappy to some but the songs and music are truly part of me, fundamental, inseparable. 

edited to add that I don't mean that anyone who has peaks and troughs is at fault somehow - honestly didn't mean that.

• Like 4

1975 until the present day...  sorry, ‘tis true.  

Never been a lull; never been a time when he wasn’t head and shoulders far, far above all the other many artists I know and love.   

Matter of fact, the passion just gets stronger.  To quote a wise man: 

EC714442-1569-400D-93B8-B0B1AD64D210.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Pretty consistent for me since the beginning of discovery and never really a peak always a constant part of my rotation and a go music for me. I have two groups that are constants, I can listen to anytime and never tire of:

Bruce and the E Street Band

The Beach Boys. 

Starting from 1980/1 it grew over the years until:

2007 - 1 show

2008 - 2 shows

2009 - 3 shows

2012 - 4 shows

2013 - 5 shows

2016 - 1 show

Work it out :rolleyes:

No greater excitement than the build up to my first show in '81 in Wembley Arena, although the best show I've seen was the Cardiff stunner in 2013.

The lull between the TOL tour ('88) and HT ('92) virtually ended my fanaticism.  Used the time wisely and discovered a whole host of new artists that I may not have looked too closely at due to my Bruce snobbery. The River still remains my favourite album of all time, though.

88 - 93 were the obsessive years.

I’d read all manner of things into photos of him onstage, setlists etc! Funny to think it.

News of an E Street break up was pure trauma.

My fandom began to take a more measured approach as I began to realise that from ‘99 onwards is wasn’t quite so important to Bruce either anymore.

I’ve loved albums in between 99 and now, loved shows but it’s not really that important to me now.

Western Stars remains one for the ages and an album that really does mean something to me though.

Pretty sure we’ll not see him tour Europe again and I’m ok with that. The very thought would have terrified me 30 years ago! 

I'd have to say the 24 shows I went to on the BITUSA tour stand out. I had the time, and the inclination, and the finances. Plus, that coincided with my initiation into the world of tapers, thru my Deadhead friends, so I started taping the Dead, and Bruce, and then everything I went to. 40 shows in 1985, of which I taped 39 - because they caught me at Bruce at the Vet stadium, and marched me out during the "This Land is Your Land" encore. Took my cassettes, and pulled the tape out of the cassettes in front of me. Bastards.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1