Sign in to follow this  
BruceWho

Seems it was never happening anyway!

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Have I been a bad person to you?  

How could you

Ok. I shant bring that song up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Obviously. 
Still looks a little elitist to make a mention that working steadily for 3-5 years straight is some kind of insurmountable task. And I will point out for third time, I get what Steve is saying. It just doesn’t look good in print.

Do you think he needs to waste print by pointing out the difference for maybe the first time in musical history that he knows Bruce's work ain't equivalent to the factory worker's work?  I've never seen any artist do that.  We know.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add that it's all how you perceive what he's saying - Jertucky, I don't read his words as saying that Bruce's work has been an "insurmountable task."

As someone said on this thread, he's 70.  So for working straight late 60s, it's a lot.  We're tired when we're old.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I would add that it's all how you perceive what he's saying - Jertucky, I don't read his words as saying that Bruce's work has been an "insurmountable task."

As someone said on this thread, he's 70.  So for working straight late 60s, it's a lot.  We're tired when we're old.  

Some people even run for president at that age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I would add that it's all how you perceive what he's saying - Jertucky, I don't read his words as saying that Bruce's work has been an "insurmountable task."

As someone said on this thread, he's 70.  So for working straight late 60s, it's a lot.  We're tired when we're old.  

It looks tone deaf. If you care about it. I really don’t. I’m just pointing it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

And tweet and golf.  

And get their sons jobs they’re not qualified for.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

And tweet and golf.  

Orange jelly rolls...You ever try one of those? God, they're awf

So anyway, there was a time in his life when Bruce had to go to work every night in some dive bar somewhere to make ends meet doing what he wanted to do. Make music. He worked like a fucking dog in order to achieve his dream. He never inherited a penny of his millions, he earned it. That's pretty coll with me.

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

  We're tired when we're old.  

Are 'we'?

I was knackered in my forties when I was a Staff Nurse on nights, did market research on my days off … and plugged any remaining holes with voluntary work.

Now I'm 'old'? Not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Art isn't work?  What is it then? 

Art is an undeniable passion, an expression of an inner vision, which you will complete even if no one ever pays you for it. Artists create art for no other purpose than the act of creating. Art is a rewarding fulfillment of a vocation, which in its pure essence has nothing to do with earning money or getting paid for doing what you love to do. True art is not a for-profit activity, and on the opposite, the main purpose of work is to make money. Not the only purpose, but definitely high on the list. Work is more often than not a source of frustration than one of satisfaction. I read somewhere that 90% of adults spend half their waking lives doing things they would rather not be doing at places they would rather not be. 

Then there's another distinction between creating true art and doing a creative job. If we are talking about Bruce, his writing is true art, the concerts are his creative job. But none of this is work if you ask me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a wise old Chinese gentleman once said

choose a work you love and you will never work again

And from Mark Twain 

"The law of work seems unfair, but nothing can change it; the more enjoyment you get out of your work, the more money you will make." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I would find the concept of an ESB + orchestra residency anywhere in the USA in a 5,000 arena, a fascinating project. I’m sure Bruce could carve out a 20 song fixed setlist to please everyone.

Strings staples like NYC Serenade and Western Stars every night, other favourites like Racing in the street and Incident on 57th street, plus crowd pleasers like Dancing in the dark, born to run and glory days. Something for everyone, long time fans and for those who have never seen him live before. 
I for one would be booking hotels and planes to see shows as soon as it was safe to do so. 

I think we could see something to this effect - although this isn't really much different than the Broadway show, except the price point would hopefully be much less.

The issue with these things is logistics of the facility.  Broadway type shows run basically all the time, they don't want 2 shows a week as costs for staff and venue make only a couple of shows not profitable.  "Sponsored" events like Vegas/Casino shows always have strings attached.  For example, the casinos don't want the "entertainment shows" running very long, they want people back at the gambling tables where the money is made.  So for an artist, they have limitations put on them by the venue that Bruce might find difficult to agree to, like 80 minute shows. 

Probably the best bet for him would be a "residency" of some sort, where each month he might play 10 shows, scattered over the calendar.  The venue books dates, can fill other nights with different events and Bruce doesn't have to carry the entire venue's costs (like a Bway show might) and still could play without the necessity of travel and the costs included in moving everything from town to town.

Billy Joel has a similar deal with MSG, but for far fewer shows.  Not sure what venue in the NY/NJ area might suit Bruce's needs if he doesn't want to play an arena sized venue.  Then the question follows, if he chose that avenue of "touring" how many shows per month would be the "right number" meaning they are sold out each night, but still profitable enough to support the costs.

It is an interesting question - I know I would travel to see that show, but doubt I would see 6-7 shows at the same venue.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I think we could see something to this effect - although this isn't really much different than the Broadway show, except the price point would hopefully be much less.

The issue with these things is logistics of the facility.  Broadway type shows run basically all the time, they don't want 2 shows a week as costs for staff and venue make only a couple of shows not profitable.  "Sponsored" events like Vegas/Casino shows always have strings attached.  For example, the casinos don't want the "entertainment shows" running very long, they want people back at the gambling tables where the money is made.  So for an artist, they have limitations put on them by the venue that Bruce might find difficult to agree to, like 80 minute shows. 

Probably the best bet for him would be a "residency" of some sort, where each month he might play 10 shows, scattered over the calendar.  The venue books dates, can fill other nights with different events and Bruce doesn't have to carry the entire venue's costs (like a Bway show might) and still could play without the necessity of travel and the costs included in moving everything from town to town.

Billy Joel has a similar deal with MSG, but for far fewer shows.  Not sure what venue in the NY/NJ area might suit Bruce's needs if he doesn't want to play an arena sized venue.  Then the question follows, if he chose that avenue of "touring" how many shows per month would be the "right number" meaning they are sold out each night, but still profitable enough to support the costs.

It is an interesting question - I know I would travel to see that show, but doubt I would see 6-7 shows at the same venue.

 

 

that sounds good in princible 

say he had a one a month deal like Billy Joel at MSG

how hard is it to get tickets ?

people with deeper pockets ....Bruce might become their regular gig  and the rest of us are shut out 

how many of those 'exspensive plaid shirt guys' from the river tour are out there ?

even a local fan on a budget might be able to afford once a month - which is great and im not trying to ration Bruce or anything 

but where does that leave the rest of us ? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Silvia said:

Art is an undeniable passion, an expression of an inner vision, which you will complete even if no one ever pays you for it. Artists create art for no other purpose than the act of creating. Art is a rewarding fulfillment of a vocation, which in its pure essence has nothing to do with earning money or getting paid for doing what you love to do. True art is not a for-profit activity, and on the opposite, the main purpose of work is to make money. Not the only purpose, but definitely high on the list. Work is more often than not a source of frustration than one of satisfaction. I read somewhere that 90% of adults spend half their waking lives doing things they would rather not be doing at places they would rather not be. 

Then there's another distinction between creating true art and doing a creative job. If we are talking about Bruce, his writing is true art, the concerts are his creative job. But none of this is work if you ask me. 

Anybody can create art. Anybody. Once it becomes you source of income it becomes work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I would find the concept of an ESB + orchestra residency anywhere in the USA in a 5,000 arena, a fascinating project. I’m sure Bruce could carve out a 20 song fixed setlist to please everyone.

Strings staples like NYC Serenade and Western Stars every night, other favourites like Racing in the street and Incident on 57th street, plus crowd pleasers like Dancing in the dark, born to run and glory days. Something for everyone, long time fans and for those who have never seen him live before. 
I for one would be booking hotels and planes to see shows as soon as it was safe to do so. 

I wouldn't.  I couldn't afford it, for one thing, and for another I'd prefer something that promised to have more surprises in it.  That's what I've enjoyed most about the shows I've seen - the variety and unpredictability.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Anybody can create art. Anybody. Once it becomes you source of income it becomes work. 

Only some can create art. Many can create artistic looking clutter, pretending to be art.

Art becomes a product the moment you realize you can make money with it. When art becomes a manufactured product, it turns into a craft. Still not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I wouldn't.  I couldn't afford it, for one thing, and for another I'd prefer something that promised to have more surprises in it.  That's what I've enjoyed most about the shows I've seen - the variety and unpredictability.

He could still throw in the surprises as usual. I agree with you that's part of what makes Bruce's shows so unique. I think a long residency at MSG would be great. Two shows a week, 20,000 at each. I think it could be done. He could also later on do a residency at the O2 in London. Michael Jackson was going to do 50 shows there for God's sake.

I think the MSG thing would work really well. Doesn't have to traipse round the world, still close to home. A hometown crowd at every show, with people travelling to New York for a city visit. I'd certainly be up for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

think the MSG thing would work really well. Doesn't have to traipse round the world, still close to home. A hometown crowd at every show, with people travelling to New York for a city visit. I'd certainly be up for that.

apart from the dreaded verified fan, no thanks. never again will i spend as much on tickets as I did for SOB, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only residency I'm interested in is the residency at the Barn. 100 people, three nights a week. No tickets. You camp in front until it's your turn. He does what he wants to do, improvisation every night.
 

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im actually intrigued by how tomorrows show goes, perhaps that may be the way forward , the whole band performing streamed to your tv live, i would prepared to pay a  bit for that and with no travel expenses and stage etc, the fee dosent need to be high, not ideal i know but how long before crowds are allowed or how long to feel comfortable going to a concert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rizla said:

I wouldn't.  I couldn't afford it, for one thing

What are you talking about some people went broke just to go to 2 or 3 SOB shows. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I think we could see something to this effect - although this isn't really much different than the Broadway show, except the price point would hopefully be much less.

The issue with these things is logistics of the facility.  Broadway type shows run basically all the time, they don't want 2 shows a week as costs for staff and venue make only a couple of shows not profitable.  "Sponsored" events like Vegas/Casino shows always have strings attached.  For example, the casinos don't want the "entertainment shows" running very long, they want people back at the gambling tables where the money is made.  So for an artist, they have limitations put on them by the venue that Bruce might find difficult to agree to, like 80 minute shows. 

Probably the best bet for him would be a "residency" of some sort, where each month he might play 10 shows, scattered over the calendar.  The venue books dates, can fill other nights with different events and Bruce doesn't have to carry the entire venue's costs (like a Bway show might) and still could play without the necessity of travel and the costs included in moving everything from town to town.

Billy Joel has a similar deal with MSG, but for far fewer shows.  Not sure what venue in the NY/NJ area might suit Bruce's needs if he doesn't want to play an arena sized venue.  Then the question follows, if he chose that avenue of "touring" how many shows per month would be the "right number" meaning they are sold out each night, but still profitable enough to support the costs.

It is an interesting question - I know I would travel to see that show, but doubt I would see 6-7 shows at the same venue.

 

 

Man...:unsure:...Do I miss 1978...-_-

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 3 arenas in the NYC area, Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and the Prudential Center in Newark.  I think between the 3 that he could find 8-12 open dates a month to play if he wanted to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please all shut up? 

Maybe Bruce's Greasy Lake spy will give him the idea to really do this!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Could you please all shut up? 

Maybe Bruce's Greasy Lake spy will give him the idea to really do this!

I know it’s easy for me to say, but... (if and when it’s completely safe to do so of course), if it’s a choice (for any number of reasons) between never seeing a Bruce show again OR his having a residency of some sort in the NYC/NJ area, I’m rooting for the residency.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this