Sign in to follow this  
BruceWho

Seems it was never happening anyway!

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

choose a work you love and you will never work again

Or... this applies to many people (myself included!!) I know. 

7A807126-B1F1-4FD9-AAC9-23E1780B5B1F.jpeg

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, burghfan said:

There are 3 arenas in the NYC area, Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and the Prudential Center in Newark.  I think between the 3 that he could find 8-12 open dates a month to play if he wanted to.

Plus this,  Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, if it's still open? Only a couple classic shows have been in there!

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Plus this,  Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, if it's still open? Only a couple classic shows have been in there!

Yes, I think it is still open, pretty sure the Islanders play part of their home games there and part in Barclays.

He could also play Giants Stadium a few Saturdays in the summer.

If he would get tired of playing the NYC area he could go to Philly which the travel time would be about the same.  Within a couple hours are Boston & DC.

If he would want to stick to smaller places he could do Convention Hall in Asbury Park or Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall in Pittsburgh which he has played at 6 time with Joe Grushecky and his band.

Then he could set up shop at Lucas Oil Stadium, Indy, where he would draw from markets like: 

Indy, Cincinnati, Chicago, STL. Nashville, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh  

6 hours ago, Silvia said:

Only some can create art. Many can create artistic looking clutter, pretending to be art.

Art becomes a product the moment you realize you can make money with it. When art becomes a manufactured product, it turns into a craft. Still not work.

I disagree completely. Anybody can create art. Anybody.

23 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Yes, I think it is still open, pretty sure the Islanders play part of their home games there and part in Barclays.

He could also play Giants Stadium a few Saturdays in the summer.

If he would get tired of playing the NYC area he could go to Philly which the travel time would be about the same.  Within a couple hours are Boston & DC.

If he would want to stick to smaller places he could do Convention Hall in Asbury Park or Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall in Pittsburgh which he has played at 6 time with Joe Grushecky and his band.

Islanders are backing there full time next season (If there is one) until their new arena is completed in Queens.

4 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Or... this applies to many people (myself included!!) I know. 

7A807126-B1F1-4FD9-AAC9-23E1780B5B1F.jpeg

:(

ive been thinking about your teaching carrer this week with all the teachers here trying to work out how to keep little kids safe in the class room who'sc parents are essential workers and slso teach to those still at home on the internet

some very unattainable expectations 

we have been fortunate in that its happened at the start of the school year and they then moved the Easter school holidays, but all that testing you guys have to do ....

our PM said to the kids and parents here a happy family is more important right now than a screaming match with a teenager over school work and that to remember most kids on the earth are all in the same boat

and that all kids will be learning things just from being at home with mum and dad

they have set up a school tv channel for the kids just to work on skills and keep the brain ticking over in learning mode, its been quite interesting to watch - its very low pressure 

im yet to see the segments for the age group that you loved but im kinda looking forward to it 

i really hope, even with all the stress, that families are enjoying their time together

as for loving work ...maybe my next job will be the one

On 4/20/2020 at 10:48 PM, Promise61 said:

Exactly. It's not as if Bruce is doing twelve hour shifts in a factory or the health service. Even SOB meant only working three hours a day.

The rich and privileged should choose their words more wisely on occasions.

Yes agreed, and he wasn't even working then, during SOB - he was playing songs, talking about himself, and getting adulation and flat-out worship of fans every night all while getting millions and millions of dollars for it, then taking the limo back home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silvia said:

The only residency I'm interested in is the residency at the Barn. 100 people, three nights a week. No tickets. You camp in front until it's your turn. He does what he wants to do, improvisation every night.

Could you imagine? His yard would look like Woodstock! :lol:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, misty rain said:

i was thinking about @rosiejaneymary 's front lawn :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Yes agreed, and he wasn't even working then, during SOB - he was playing songs, talking about himself, and getting adulation and flat-out worship of fans every night all while getting millions and millions of dollars for it, then taking the limo back home.

Except that you and others are completely missing the psychology of it - emotional draining which it was by his own admission can be more overwhelming than physical draining.  

Some of you actually sound bitter.  But maybe it's just a matter of having no understanding of the emotional part on the psyche.   

• Love Love Love! 1

For the record, there was no limo when I was there.  He drove a SUV.  Himself and a driver on another night.  

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Except that you and others are completely missing the psychology of it - emotional draining which it was by his own admission can be more overwhelming than physical draining.  

Some of you actually sound bitter.  But maybe it's just a matter of having no understanding of the emotional part on the psyche.   

I don’t think anybody is missing any point here to be honest. Steve made a comment about Bruce taking time off because he had been working steadily for 3-5 years and that it sounds a little out of touch with people who work 50+ years at jobs that are often both physically and emotionally draining. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t think anybody is missing any point here to be honest. Steve made a comment about Bruce taking time off because he had been working steadily for 3-5 years and that it sounds a little out of touch with people who work 50+ years at jobs that are often both physically and emotionally draining. 

That isn't the first time Steve has made a comment that was tone deaf or out of touch.  He made one after the Greensboro show was cancelled that was something along the line of you have to hit them where it hurts/in the pocketbook.  I think he was trying to say politicians don't care unless it costs them revenue.  But since he didn't say who a lot of fans that were out airfare, hotels, vacation days, etc were pissed.  And these were fans who agreed with the stance Bruce was taking, but not with the timing of it, then Steve added his comment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I totally agree on this. 3 hours on stage for a performer is not like 3 hours of regular work even if you are an old pro like Bruce and doing basically the same show every night. Before the show you have to get yourself into the state of mind to perform. After the show you have to work yourself into your normal state of mind and calm down/relax. Being a high level performer or an artist is harder work than most people with "normal" jobs will ever experience.  There's a reason why a lot of artists get into drug habits.   So, I'd say people are totally missing the point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, misty rain said:

No, we more civilized. We'd probably be talking to his grass, and hugging the trees... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I only meant how emotional draining Broadway was for him, talking about his mom, his dad, etc., - he told Howard Stern that.  Plus we saw his tears.  

But performing in general as you point out, there are major differences between a performer and the blue-collar worker. 

38 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

I totally agree on this. 3 hours on stage for a performer is not like 3 hours of regular work even if you are an old pro like Bruce and doing basically the same show every night. Before the show you have to get yourself into the state of mind to perform. After the show you have to work yourself into your normal state of mind and calm down/relax. Being a high level performer or an artist is harder work than most people with "normal" jobs will ever experience.  There's a reason why a lot of artists get into drug habits.   So, I'd say people are totally missing the point.

A major reason a lot of artists have drug problems is because they have a ton of free time time that “normal” people don’t have. Thus, they think working steadily for 3-5 years deserves a year off.

Yep, that's it, that's why so many artists have drug problems.  Also why so many regular working folks with day jobs also have a lot of drug and addiction problems.  

4 hours ago, Jertucky said:

A major reason a lot of artists have drug problems is because they have a ton of free time time that “normal” people don’t have. Thus, they think working steadily for 3-5 years deserves a year off.

Many artists with drug problems started using drugs when they were on a lot of pressure - a major tour with a lot of travelling or when struggling to finish the recording of an album or as a way to cope with stage fright.  I doubt many artists start using drugs during a stress free period with a lot of spare time.

2 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Many artists with drug problems started using drugs when they were on a lot of pressure - a major tour with a lot of travelling or when struggling to finish the recording of an album or as a way to cope with stage fright.  I doubt many artists start using drugs during a stress free period with a lot of spare time.

Maybe they did it for fun and recreation like ordinary people do. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

There are many, many reasons people start using drugs. Musicians, artists, photographers, teachers, garbage collectors....... Not many professions allow one the amount of free time to delve as deeply into drug use as a professional musician.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

There are many, many reasons people start using drugs. Musicians, artists, photographers, teachers, garbage collectors....... Not many professions allow one the amount of free time to delve as deeply into drug use are a professional musician.

Yes. There are many reasons people start using drugs. I doubt having a lot of free time is one of them. Or the opposite: "No, I never got around to start shooting heroine. Why? Well, I thought about but it was always another album to make, an other tour...and...and, well I guess I never really had the time."

8 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Yes. There are many reasons people start using drugs. I doubt having a lot of free time is one of them. Or the opposite: "No, I never got around to start shooting heroine. Why? Well, I thought about but it was always another album to make, an other tour...and...and, well I guess I never really had the time."

I have spoken to many coworkers who haven’t worked since March 13th and their level of alcohol consumption has risen remarkably high. It wouldn’t have been an option if they had to go to work. I think you would be incorrect to think that available time to do so is not one reason for drug/alcohol use/abuse.

2 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I have spoken to many coworkers who haven’t worked since March 13th and their level of alcohol consumption has risen remarkably high. It wouldn’t have been an option if they had to go to work. I think you would be incorrect to think that available time to do so is not one reason for drug/alcohol use/abuse.

And how many others that are "working from home" drinking on the job. That would never happen if work at an office! 

• Like 1