Greasy Lake Community

Thunder Road: WE'RE pulling out of here to win

A quick look at the different versions on here, the change appears to be as long ago as the No Nukes concerts in 1979

https://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics.php?cmd=list&letter=t

15 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

A quick look at the different versions on here, the change appears to be as long ago as the No Nukes concerts in 1979

https://www.springsteenlyrics.com/lyrics.php?cmd=list&letter=t

I was surprised that it hadn't always been 'we're' - I'd forgotten it was 'I'm'.

41 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

The big question is did she climb in??????

No. She's the one in Moonlight Motel. She stayed put, Bruce went off and then returned many years later. They'd both met other people.

:)

• Love Love Love! 1

35 minutes ago, Eileen said:

No. She's the one in Moonlight Motel. She stayed put, Bruce went off and then returned many years later. They'd both met other people.

:)

I too think she’s the one in MM; but I think she did climb in... they had a happy lifetime together, and now he’s back at the motel remembering... 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 4

Just now, rosiejaneymary said:

I too think she’s the one in MM; but I think she did climb in... they had a happy lifetime together, and now he’s back at the motel remembering... 

I knew you'd be along, hence the smile. :)

23 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

The big question is did she climb in??????

As I tried to show in a short text in Thunder Road from Maryś POW ( I think that was the name), she did not climb in; if she had done that, the record should have ended with its first song; but - the record was made, hence she did not climb in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ulfhpersson said:

if she had done that, the record should have ended with its first song; 

At a certain moment Thunder Road was the last song on Born To Run (full band version).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

At a certain moment Thunder Road was the last song on Born To Run (full band version).

Well, I am talking, not about the exterior history of the record, but about the immanent world of the same.

12 hours ago, Lampi said:

Lampi, I see now, that I expressed myself ambiguously in my fist post above; with "the record should have ended with its first song" I did not mean the position of Thunder Road in the album, I meant to say, that if Mary had accepted the offer of the I who speaks in the story, then Thunder Road would have been the ONLY song on a one song album, i. e. there would not have been a Born to Run at all, only a song named Thunder Road. Not the heroes on the record, not Mary is really leaving anything behind on Born to Run; yes, they say they will leave on Thunder Road, but never do; they do not go further than the Backstreets; and even if the songs of the record uses words that gives a dynamic expression, it is a dynamic expression of a standing still; and this must be so, since when you are running away, you are still in the grip of what you are running away from; and Backstreets is the place of this life in limbo; years later, in Sad Eyes, this beautiful, youthful, hope giving propaganda of a life in limbo is criticized and corrected by the words: WE got to STOP hiding in the Backstreets. With Darkness the mission is no longer a mission of a solitary I to run away with a Mary from a world he do not want to be a part of, it is to change this world  for a better one, The Promised Land, and that is not possible for an I , only for a WE.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:02 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

So here I go again with the Thunder road tetralogy.  Maybe now a pentalogy?

Firstly, Mary does get in. With the beauty and rising hope of that introduction how could she not? There was however, no happy ending.

Together they take a stab at romance and pursue the dream with the only thing available to them: a car. Thunder road is full of the wild hope and enthusiasm of young people still believing the dream is within reach. Then the months and years of Racing in the Street, chipping away, race after race, getting nowhere near the promised place to where they originally set out to win. Enthusiasm is replaced by bitterness, as Mary returns to the safe life of a house in Fairview, our anti-hero simmers in the Darkness on the Edge of Town. It is a place where the dream is hung onto with desperation, haunted by the secret he can’t face and thinks Mary never had the passion to defy: that sometimes we don’t cut loose from the things that hold us in place and it is this that eventually drags us down. The time in the story when things fell apart between the two of them. Mary went home, the anti-hero continued on alone into the Darkness. Years later when the dream is dead and only bitterness remains, this failure is at the heart of The Promise that is broken. It’s why Mary left, to play it safe. Its why our anti-hero is working a job he hates, spending his time looking back at what could have been if only.

Moonlight Motel could certainly connect to the first four, after the bitterness has faded but there is no sense of reunion, only reflection. The motel may have been a regular layover for the two of them as they travelled the circuit together and where Mary ushered the “whispered secret I promised I’d never tell.” But of course we look back to The Promise’ and we know he did, which is why we find him drinking shots alone in the car park of an abandoned Moonlight Motel.

This goes to the heart of Springsteen’s philosophical evolution, from songs exalting the American dream to songs which realise the American dream is out of reach for many. Certainly for many of the characters he writes about.  Some of whom come to reflect on the loss of hope whiles others are consumed by it.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, ulfhpersson said:

years later, in Sad Eyes,

I got it wrong here. I meant, of course, to refer to the sad eyes part of the live versions (1978) of Backstreets, not the song with the same name. Sorry.

It was always "we're" to me. The early versions where he sings "I'm" were not the released version (of course),

so for me it's "we're pulling out of here to win" - a grand, movie-like ending, completely phony to what real life is like or what most people can do.*

(Good thing he decided not to play this at the Freehold show in '96, it would have been sung to a lot of people who DIDN'T pull out to win; most DON'T)

It's such a beautiful song and melody I try not to think about that line. It's a line one can more easily believe in when really young.

* "I was born here and I'll die here, against my will" - from Not Dark Yet - is far more the truth for most people.

1 hour ago, soulcrusader78 said:

(Good thing he decided not to play this at the Freehold show in '96, it would have been sung to a lot of people who DIDN'T pull out to win; most DON'T)

* "I was born here and I'll die here, against my will" - from Not Dark Yet - is far more the truth for most people.

Also, as Bruce said himself: the irony of Born To Run as official song of the State of New Jersey, while the song is about getting out of New Jersey.

9 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

It was always "we're" to me. The early versions where he sings "I'm" were not the released version (of course),

so for me it's "we're pulling out of here to win" - a grand, movie-like ending, completely phony to what real life is like or what most people can do.*

It's such a beautiful song and melody I try not to think about that line. It's a line one can more easily believe in when really young.

I surely can read your text, but i find it hard to understand. The released version surely is ”I am...”. That the opposite would be the fact, is only in your imagination. And a ”we” would not make the made promise ”completely phony” to anyone. You can wish, that you where in a position in which it was possible for you to uttered these words, and believe that it was possible to live by them, but most people has a family to provide for, and for them it is a kind of unrealistic, but not, in your words, a phony promise, since we all know, that to be able to "run" from this destructive society, its not enough with a I, but must involve a we. You can invest your emotion in the hero of Thunder Road, and thereby get the feeling of how it would be, to fight for and live in an non-alienated world, to be able to do what is right for you and your family and the society you live in, and still have to accept the bitter facts of this alienating society. And, if i may dare to be a bit rude, what else is Springsteens work, but a emotional and intellectual reminder for us ordinary people of how neccesary it is for us to, as good as we can, fight for a better world? It helps us to keep that same dream of a decent society based on solidarity alive. Springsteen, true to the USA that has brought him up, has, as the base for his creativity, a individualistic worldview (I want to marry you), but in some remarkable way, he transmitter to us, that this, his own, individualistic society must be overcome, if we and our children will have any future whatsoever.

You think, that ”It's a line one can more easily believe in when really young”, - well I guess that I am older than You, and I can more easily believe in these word today, than back in 1975, and that's because the change of I for a We.

13 hours ago, Lampi said:

Also, as Bruce said himself: the irony of Born To Run as official song of the State of New Jersey, while the song is about getting out of New Jersey.

And then, returning; apparently realizing there’s no place like home... as he also says, “I currently live 10 miles from my hometown.”  

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

And then, returning; apparently realizing there’s no place like home... as he also says, “I currently live 10 miles from my hometown.”  

Also apparently because New Jersey was supposed to be a better place for the children to grow up, close to the familie, than the bourgeois house in the Hollywood Hills.