• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

5 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Back to vinyl for this one, I guess I was looking for someone to fill the void The Beatles had left and along came this album, the vocal harmonies were just great and the songs were not too bad either eh. For 2-3 months during the summer in Scotland basically it never ever really gets dark and although the country roads and climate here do not compare with the weather and freeways of LA, driving home in the early hours after a night out (trying to get home before the milkman delivered) to grab a couple hours in bed before work, this album took you there and the sunrises were often spectacular and I would sing this in the car at the top of my voice on the journey home. Great rocking start to side 1 and I always loved You Never Cry Like a Lover, the standout track on Side 1 was the Bernie Leadon tribute song "My Man" so heartfelt, if you ever feel stressed or anxious put this song on, you will find that the soothing voice of Bernie and sumptious harmonies will have you instantly feel a real calmness descending on you, great song. Side 2 has no weak tracks but the middle three tracks Ol` `55, Is It True and Good Day In Hell are probably my favourite three consecutive tracks on any album, these are the ones you sing at the top of your voice whilst watching the sunrise on a new day, and of course the closer Best Of My Love was their firts number 1 single.

on the border.jpg

My favorite Eagles album and the only one I kept through all my moves.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Day 6

This was one of those vital albums, not my favorite of theirs by any means but the one that introduced me to them and a totally different sound from more classic styles of pop and rock. Also saw them live at a small venue on campus shortly after this one came out which just cemented it.

More Songs About Buildings and Food, Talking Heads

220px-TalkingHeadsMoreSongsAboutBuildingsandFood.jpg

• Like 7

and so we come to.....

10 Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

@dr winston oboogie has already praised it, justifiably imho, so not much to add. Where my love affair with Lu Williams words and music began. Sits up alongside the other 2 in my Holy Trinity: Darkness.... & Blood On The Tracks. Also lucky enough to meet her after a show, albeit briefly. Predictably I degenerated into tongue-tied fanboy. :(

6D7AFC6D-6B36-4A01-8FAD-F25E0117146B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

Day 9 now - Alchemy, Dire Straits

While I had listened to some of their work and watched MTV videos (Skateaway was wonderful!), this live set really hooked me. My love for live music was seeded by many live albums - 4 Way Street, Miles of Aisles, ELP Pictures at an Exhibition. Those bands with the inclination and the talent to explore beyond the sterile studio renditions attracted me.

When I went to London in July '85 to see Bruce at Wembley Stadium I was delighted to find that Dire Straits was doing an extended run at Wembley Arena. When Bruce took July 5th off, I went to Dire Straits in lieu, and it was everything I hoped - venue and band were perfect together. As Bruce's show the 6th was early (doors opened at 2p, show started at 4p, over at 8p), I packed extra tapes and batteries for my recorder, and hurried next door to scalp a ticket for Dire Straits at 8:30p - and it worked! Best 4 days of live music in my life - 3x Springsteen, 2x Dire Straits.

A1EwBHsLPLL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 7
50 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Day 9 now - Alchemy, Dire Straits

While I had listened to some of their work and watched MTV videos (Skateaway was wonderful!), this live set really hooked me. My love for live music was seeded by many live albums - 4 Way Street, Miles of Aisles, ELP Pictures at an Exhibition. Those bands with the inclination and the talent to explore beyond the sterile studio renditions attracted me.

When I went to London in July '85 to see Bruce at Wembley Stadium I was delighted to find that Dire Straits was doing an extended run at Wembley Arena. When Bruce took July 5th off, I went to Dire Straits in lieu, and it was everything I hoped - venue and band were perfect together. As Bruce's show the 6th was early (doors opened at 2p, show started at 4p, over at 8p), I packed extra tapes and batteries for my recorder, and hurried next door to scalp a ticket for Dire Straits at 8:30p - and it worked! Best 4 days of live music in my life - 3x Springsteen, 2x Dire Straits.

A1EwBHsLPLL._SL1500_.jpg

My father had a friend named Peter.... He called him Peewee. He was from the UK (I unfortunately don't know exactly where) and he had the thickest accent... as a kid I understood very little of what he said. But he had a stereo (!) VHS player and a Stereo VHS of Alchemy which he had brought over with him on a trip to visit family. We would go over there for dinner, and then sit and watch Alchemy, start to finish... I recall doing this maybe 5 or 6 times? The version on this of Private Investigations is still one of the most exciting live performances I've ever seen.

Day 9.

If I had a time machine this is the show I would go to.  No doubt about it. All those pages back there ^^^ I said it didn't have to be ALL rock'n'roll.  My earliest music memories were probably the Beatles, but then there were the musicals (thank your lucky stars I didn't include My Fair Lady and Oliver as well as The Sound of Music ;)). I wanted to be those female singers (plus Barbra and Liza).  But above all there was Judy Garland. This was recorded in 1961.  I bought it in the early 80s.  The liner notes say that she used her voice like a trumpet that night.  This is a double album of pure showbusiness and talent,  long before her sad decline.

Oh, to have been in the audience.

Judy Garland Live At Carnegie Hall.

image.png.990017ef75857453672b6ca11ed0d550.png

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

Day 10.

I was aware of Jason Isbell before this came out, I even had a copy of Here We Rest, but this made me realise how good he is. Also went back over the Drive By Truckers back catalogue as a result.

image.png.6661ab76717e3967624753d7d7ec822b.png

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

Number 5.

An album of extraordinary beauty, courtesy of much nostalgia from Van, and  gorgeous string arrangements from Gavyn Wright and Fiachra Trench.

It came at a time in my life when I wanted to spend forever with a woman I could never really be with (not without causing Armageddon for several people).  This is our album, I suppose.  For the first time I realised that an album could be positively  romantic without being totally slushy, cheesy and cringey.  There aren't many of those.

vanMR-12971230-1545588271-6500.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1