Greasy Lake Community

Albums That Influenced you

Day 7

I'd heard the stuff on the radio but this is the album that really introduced Van to me. To this day there is something about Irish singers. The sound of their voices is just amazing, male and female. What is it in the water over there?

Wavelength, Van Morrison

WavelengthAlbumCover.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

6 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

No 7: Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend.

Cannot think of a best of/greatest hits compilation I've listened to more times. From high school days to present times. This made me go back and delve into the individual albums, and my favourite Bob Marley album will always be Exodus, but this is still a near perfect track listing and can be played anywhere, anytime.

Bob Marley Legend.jpeg

The best greatest hits album ever! Love this.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Day 9.

If I had a time machine this is the show I would go to.  No doubt about it. All those pages back there ^^^ I said it didn't have to be ALL rock'n'roll.  My earliest music memories were probably the Beatles, but then there were the musicals (thank your lucky stars I didn't include My Fair Lady and Oliver as well as The Sound of Music ;)). I wanted to be those female singers (plus Barbra and Liza).  But above all there was Judy Garland. This was recorded in 1961.  I bought it in the early 80s.  The liner notes say that she used her voice like a trumpet that night.  This is a double album of pure showbusiness and talent,  long before her sad decline.

Oh, to have been in the audience.

Judy Garland Live At Carnegie Hall.

image.png.990017ef75857453672b6ca11ed0d550.png

I have this also. What a voice she had.

• Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Day 9.

If I had a time machine this is the show I would go to.  No doubt about it. All those pages back there ^^^ I said it didn't have to be ALL rock'n'roll.  My earliest music memories were probably the Beatles, but then there were the musicals (thank your lucky stars I didn't include My Fair Lady and Oliver as well as The Sound of Music ;)). I wanted to be those female singers (plus Barbra and Liza).  But above all there was Judy Garland. This was recorded in 1961.  I bought it in the early 80s.  The liner notes say that she used her voice like a trumpet that night.  This is a double album of pure showbusiness and talent,  long before her sad decline.

Oh, to have been in the audience.

Judy Garland Live At Carnegie Hall.

image.png.990017ef75857453672b6ca11ed0d550.png

Love this album too and there are two people I would have loved to have seen live - Judy and Otis Redding. 

• Love Love Love! 1

A few more Honorable Mentions and then I'll stop. :D

Blondie - Parallel Lines

220px-Blondie_-_Parallel_Lines.jpg

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

220px-Steve_Miller_Band_Fly_Like_an_Eagl

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees

Album_Silk_Degrees.jpg

Eagles - Hotel California

Hotelcalifornia.jpg

Bob Seger and the SBB - Night Moves

Bob_Seger_-_Night_Moves.jpg

There are so many more...The Stranger, Bad Company, Bat Out of Hell, Street Survivors, Frampton Comes Alive, Aja, etc etc etc.  But I'll stop before JJ yells at me. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Green Fox said:

Day 10.

I was aware of Jason Isbell before this came out, I even had a copy of Here We Rest, but this made me realise how good he is. Also went back over the Drive By Truckers back catalogue as a result.

image.png.6661ab76717e3967624753d7d7ec822b.png

Jason's music and lyrics suffered when he got sober.  

wow those 10 days went so fast:lol:

i thought we were just posting albums not why we chose said albums ?:lol:

anyway im at number 10 already  :o and its hard to not choose  the greatest album ever made Born to run:o:o - but for me BTR is 100% pure escapism - and even though thunder road was definatly and as intended  my big invitation, to be perfectly  honest it was delivered  via GH's, and even though for my ears BTR is the greatest song of all time as its a living breathing entity in its own right and ive been part of it on 5 wonderful occasions, and 10th av is the best ever band intro ever ...but that's from LINYC...and Jungleland and Clarence .....:wub: also LINYC :lol:;)

and if it were just about pure unadulterated fun id choose WIESS - :wub: but my love for Bruce Springsteen is never solely about pure unadulterated fun:D  - so saddly Bruce's 2nd album had negligible  influence on me :(- my great listening pleasure of it coming near the end of my back catalogue exploration, instead the result of anoung other things, the influence of its sibling  albums - where as in comparision LINYC had the promise ( well the dvd did)  the first time i ever felt a song or indeed the person singing it, had ever given me empathy - pretty much the first time i had ever felt true empathy from anyone- there was a song - finally - about me and how i thought and how i viewed the hand i had been delt, where  as WIESS was not in the least bit comparable with  my life  excepting that i grew up down the street from the ground where our annual summer  A&P show was held

then the river - its  killing me it can't make my list- :(

wow :lol: ramrod :wub:- i never knew Bruce Springsteen could do old school rock and roll - sooooo much fun (and the saddest song he ever wrote he once said ) - but again its via LINYC 

but its the 2016 live in concert versions of the river album  not the actual 1980s album that has been the more influential on me - and as much as i love love love  the river album:wub: - as its the first album i got when exploring the back catalogue, and it did influence me to keep going, to buy more albums, to discover more stories  - the river itself being the one song i heard on the radio that send me off to the shops ....although  that actually lead me to  LINYC - and it was there i would  watch you all durring Badlands and i baddly wanted what ever you lot were on and i saw myself in those MSG faces, the people of NYC and NJ ....which kind of directly lead to the rising and the dusty people staring back at me from the tv on 9-11 - how can i leave the rising off my list ?:( a Bruce in real time on 60 minutes, a new Bruce, recharged for a new era dispensing love, hope, faith and community to all who needed it - an era where i was finally old enough to be able to understand the true magnificence of Darkness on the edge of town and where i was finally  mature enough to know it was ok to admire and listen to the opinions of an artist who did not vote the same way as me  :P

So.... getting back to those 2016 River shows- the greatest tour of the modern era - those  spoken interludes have given me many uncomfortable sleepless nights trying to work out the meaning of life and why the album is as much about my mum and dad as it is about me - it's been a huge huge influence on me,  but a tour of full album shows is not the same as an actual album:( that would be bending the rules of the tread a little too much :D

but then how can i possibly have Kenny Rogers' GH's on my list when the river isnt on it ? :o- and then how can the crafting of the album sequence of BTR miss out to any GH's album ?:(

but my love of Kenny's voice goes back to when i was a little girl and his story telling - even if he didn't write them himself- he has had a huge and direct influence on my love of Bruce's actual singing voice and a lot of Bruce's story telling is so country like - and John Wiliamson the great Aussie country bush balladider who writes with his own gravelly voice with love of the enviroment and the ways of the people very much like Bruce does with his love of the  people 

Then how could i have Bowie's most commercial album on my list but not BITUSA?:o

in time Bowie came to reminded me that the best sounds of the 80's had roots in the 70's even when BITUSA is by far the better album - alas  i was just too young to know fuck all:angry: when i got BITUSA for Christmas  and how i wish Dad had known to buy me Nebraska :( and to have had that album now on my list because it has in turn influenced so many great albums of different genre and it would have  given me the ticket to ride this train back in the day like BITUSA never did or could, despite it's smash hit status and it's  casual fan standings to this day

So ultamitly it fell to the sublime Devils and Dust album to introduce me to Bruce's acoustic work which i instantly fell in love with while still trying to fully fathom  what i was seeing and feeling with LINYC 

but my number 1 (10) album is for a totally different reason

it directly influenced me to read the grapes of wrath- a book never on my school reading list 

the Ghost of Tom Joad

because as a hardened conservative it taught me to value the importance of unions and more importantly to support the union

and the other stories and people on that album - how Bruce tells their stories with compassionate  observation rather than as judge and executioner constantly reminds me the only difference between the people on the GOTJ and my people on Darkness, on the river, Nebraska, BITUSA even BTR, is but one wrong turn on the road

the GOTJ has made me a kinder more compassionate conservative and has had the most influence on me as any piece of art i have ever experienced 

The_Ghost_of_Tom_Joad-2.jpg

some days it fights with darkness over which is my very favourite record but that's a different kind of list;)

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
13 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

7B7EBE2F-BA1C-4DC0-966B-9BB46DA55709.thumb.jpeg.27545a010778ea83d735bf30c1338bf1.jpeg

so if its your most influential, is it #10 ?

or are you not going in order ? :lol:

im really glad it is at the top of your list:)

i think if it could have been a list of 11 i would have bent the rules* and included it in at least  the top half of my list

* i would have had to have also taken into account the 2016 full album tour live performances 

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

so if its your most influential, is it #10 ?

or are you not going in order ? :lol:

im really glad it is at the top of your list:)

i think if it could have been a list of 11 i would have bent the rules* and included it in at least  the top half of my list

* i would have had to have also taken into account the 2016 full album tour live performances 

I've been going by when I encountered the album so when the album came to influence what I listened to not their order of importance to me.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I've been going by when I encountered the album so when the album came to influence what I listened to not their order of importance to me.

i think that's kind of how i did mine 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Troublette said:

Same here - in order of when I first encountered them.

In fact, after discovering Bruce it is hard to think of another album which has influenced me. I can't say that other Bruce albums influenced me because, as they were by him, I was always going to listen and none of his albums led me to music by other artists, which is why there is only one Bruce on my list. I have said before that I didn't discover him until 1981 on the original River tour, so this is the one which had the most impact.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Finally, Day 10. As I said above, it is hard to come up with anything which has really influenced me after I discovered Bruce but, many years ago I was introduced to this choir. I rarely listen to their music at home, but usually see them live three or four times a year, their Christmas concert often being the highlight of the festive season.

I don't really do classical music, but I do enjoy choral music and this choir have provided me with some of my most spine tingling musical moments.

Ex Cathedra - A New HeavenEF35CF54-78D7-49DD-B9DB-C4AB02BC5688.thumb.jpeg.290e08f24fb515b519baf4ee9b402d6c.jpeg

• Like 3

Day 10.

The man himself.  This is when I got on board (sorry it wasn't earlier but what ya gonna do? as Dan says :)). The DITD video got me. I bought it on cassette, then CD.  Never owned it on vinyl (all my other choices are vinyl for some reason!).

It may not be his best album but it's damn near perfect from beginning to end on some days!

image.thumb.png.4d5d9b209bfbebc21eae5b682bd71472.png

• Like 7

Day 10

was in 2 minds what to put here,there were several candidates, but ultimatley if you grew up in the eighties and like a bit of sleazy rock attitude then you cannot beat this ...they were the pistols and the Stones and The Who rolled into one ...before they turned into a giant commercial over produced egotisitacal monster.

download.jpg

• Like 2

Day 10 - Heart Like a Wheel, Linda Ronstadt

While I liked her and her voice since Different Drum, this album just consumed me, and made sure I followed her more closely for the rest of her career. It was released in November, 1974. In March '75 I left for Ft. Benning, GA to start Officer Candidate School, a grueling test. A few weeks into it I strained my achilles, and could not run to/from classes with the company. Also, I had to do PT daily. One of my platoon-mates loaned me his car to get around, and this was one of his few cassettes, so I spent a lot of meaningful time listening to this under circumstances that etched it into my memory.

Never a songwriter herself, she had  an uncanny ability to choose songs by others and make them her own. Look at the writers on this album - Paul Anka, Hank Williams, Phil Everly, James Taylor, JD Souther, Anna McGarrigle. That all these songs fit together so seamlessly is a tribute to Miss Linda and her talent.

81IIEbm8VuL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 5

Day 8

This was my introduction to Bruce thanks to a friend who had me listen to it when she found out how much I liked Patti Smith's new song Because the Night. I only consented because I saw he was one of the writers and she swore it didn't sound like the song Born to Run (the only version of which I like to this day is how it was performed during the Tunnel tour.) That listen was mind blowing and I ran down to the record store the next day to buy it.

Darkness on the Edge of Town

220px-BruceSpringsteenDarknessontheEdgeofTown.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1