Greasy Lake Community

Albums That Influenced you

No 8: Sting – Bring on the Night

I was 13 years old, home sick with a bad cold, bored. Looked for something to watch (back then broadcast television here started around 5pm) and found the brand new VHS copy of Sting’s Bring on the Night that my oldest brother had bought. He was a big fan of The Police.

I put it on and lay back on the couch. My dad had the TV wired to his amp and into his stereo speakers, nothing unusual today but back then, extremely rare.

I watched this live concert documentary about this well-spoken, good looking English gent and was trying to come to terms with him being the shouty guy from that punk band… Watching he and the band work on putting the songs together. And the live pieces were enthralling… Omar Hakim’s drumming on I Burn For You blew me away… And so started a lifelong love of Sting’s music. He has had career high’s and low’s, musically, of course, like many. But he has released many albums I love and cherish.

In the late Eighties and early Nineties, gun to my head it would have been hard to say who I was the bigger fan of. Bruce, or Sting? I dreamed of seeing both live and that dream came true with Sting a full 20 years before it did with Bruce. Seeing Sting on stage, in the peak of his solo career, with musicians like Vinnie Colaiuta and, of course, David Sancious, a bucket list ticked for me.

But it all started with this superb live film and double album.

Sting Bring on the Night.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Day 10 - Heart Like a Wheel, Linda Ronstadt

While I liked her and her voice since Different Drum, this album just consumed me, and made sure I followed her more closely for the rest of her career. It was released in November, 1974. In March '75 I left for Ft. Benning, GA to start Officer Candidate School, a grueling test. A few weeks into it I strained my achilles, and could not run to/from classes with the company. Also, I had to do PT daily. One of my platoon-mates loaned me his car to get around, and this was one of his few cassettes, so I spent a lot of meaningful time listening to this under circumstances that etched it into my memory.

Never a songwriter herself, she had  an uncanny ability to choose songs by others and make them her own. Look at the writers on this album - Paul Anka, Hank Williams, Phil Everly, James Taylor, JD Souther, Anna McGarrigle. That all these songs fit together so seamlessly is a tribute to Miss Linda and her talent.

81IIEbm8VuL._SL1500_.jpg

The song 'Heart like a Wheel' is one of my all time favourites.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, janeymarywendy said:

Day 5.

This album was released before my Day 4 one (Rick Wakeman), but I only 'discovered' it a couple of years later - maybe 1974/5.  The actual album belonged to my dad, but I still have it :)

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player - Elton.

image.png.9c84418afc02966d9f8cbf4167f61445.png

First album I ever bought, and I still enjoy playing it today.

• Like 2

I'm done and some are still going, great response. I had the idea like I believe it was Green Fox said on FB. It's been fun. I know I said the albums that influenced you, without a full explanation, should have said at that time in your life. and not your top 10 albums. I'll maybe be able to explain in this personal explanation of my ten albums. 

1. Doors - Strange Days- I was 17 and understood music isn't just pop. 

2. Jimi- Are you Experienced - Guitar is my instrument! 

3.4.5. Rush, UFO and JP, are all together, should have broke these out better with BD's honorable mentions, but I was in big trouble in this period of my life. What started out as pot and beer, turned into Yellow Jackets, Black Beauty's, Star Blotter and Window Pane (insert Pink Floyd The Wall here). 

6. Bruce Born in the USA- Summers of 84-85 along with Dire Straits Brother in Arms, is where i meet the Love of my life and got my life back. 

7. Garth Brooks - No Fences - OK, please don't laugh at me too hard anyway. But I needed to grow up and grow up fast. And I thought to do so, it was to give up everything in the past. Including RnR. Don't get me wrong when I say I enjoyed this period of County Music, as I did. 

8. Bruce- Magic, You all heard the story with my daughter that turned me back to Bruce. And haven't looked back. Love Greasy Lake for all the info I gathered here in research of our first show back, Columbus Ohio 2008. 

9. The National - Boxer, Again my daughter turned me on to this and have all their albums along with many other Indie Rockers, The Killers, The Decemberist, Local Natives and Alabama Shake to name a few. 

10. Pearl Jam 10, My newest obsession. Had ticket to see them some 4 weeks ago now, but I was a very causal fan. So my research lead me to Pearl Jam Radio on Sirius XM. I already had 10 and VS, but thats it. Now I have them all. And have stated in the Pearl Jam thread,, I'm finding it harder and harder to change the station back to ESR.        

• Like 4

I like to read why a certain album influenced you. JJ, I don't even know all of what you are actually talking about with albums 3,4,&5, after pot and beer, I think different pills, but never been my thing so the names don't mean anything. Good that you got away from all that and those are three bands you can get rid of also as far as I'm concerned! There are musical artists I listened to at one time I can't even figure out why now, others you love for your entire life.

This actually has been a lot of fun to read and I still have a couple left to list. I already have the album covers downloaded but I'm doing the one a day thing. I may put two on tomorrow for 9 as I can't remember which I had first, they are so intertwined in my head and v they are the same artist.

• Like 2

I’ve done my 10, but thought I’d finish off with a few that just missed out on this occasion.

The 1st Costello record has featured on a few lists, and great tho ‘ it is, this is the one that set me up to follow his career for the last 40 years.

Cowboy Junkies 2nd was, for many years, my late night listening of choice. Mostly moping over girls.

Swordfishtrombones was the 1st Waits record that hinted at where he was heading. While I picked up a few of the earlier records and enjoyed them well enough, this was the first that really excited me. Lucky to see him at Edinburgh Playhouse around this time - Waits sitting in an armchair under a fringed shade standard lamp is one of my great concert memories!

The ‘other Wrecking Ball’ was a record that I arrived at from The Byrds and Stones, via Gram Parsons, and proved to be a stepping off point for my recurring forays into more conventional country and Americana.

Joy Division were, well, Joy Division......

8C0FF35F-E620-4F3D-A361-7B80CAFF2B3A.jpeg

00F5A563-F301-4879-8D8C-6ACACA30192A.jpeg

70914E6A-ED7B-497F-9784-43ED70941846.jpeg

17D8E91A-D39C-4AA4-B16F-6FA3CCF3A574.jpeg

ACD36594-1FB7-4DA3-9696-1A0832D01450.jpeg

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I like to read why a certain album influenced you. JJ, I don't even know all of what you are actually talking about with albums 3,4,&5, after pot and beer, I think different pills, but never been my thing so the names don't mean anything. Good that you got away from all that and those are three bands you can get rid of also as far as I'm concerned! There are musical artists I listened to at one time I can't even figure out why now, others you love for your entire life.

This actually has been a lot of fun to read and I still have a couple left to list. I already have the album covers downloaded but I'm doing the one a day thing. I may put two on tomorrow for 9 as I can't remember which I had first, they are so intertwined in my head and v they are the same artist.

The Yellow Jackets and Black Beauty's are speed (amphetamines) and the Star Blotter and Window Pane was acid (LSD). 

But I still love those three bands today. 

10 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

I’ve done my 10, but thought I’d finish off with a few that just missed out on this occasion.

The 1st Costello record has featured on a few lists, and great tho ‘ it is, this is the one that set me up to follow his career for the last 40 years.

Cowboy Junkies 2nd was, for many years, my late night listening of choice. Mostly moping over girls.

Swordfishtrombones was the 1st Waits record that hinted at where he was heading. While I picked up a few of the earlier records and enjoyed them well enough, this was the first that really excited me. Lucky to see him at Edinburgh Playhouse around this time - Waits sitting in an armchair under a fringed shade standard lamp is one of my great concert memories!

The ‘other Wrecking Ball’ was a record that I arrived at from The Byrds and Stones, via Gram Parsons, and proved to be a stepping off point for my recurring forays into more conventional country and Americana.

Joy Division were, well, Joy Division......

8C0FF35F-E620-4F3D-A361-7B80CAFF2B3A.jpeg

70914E6A-ED7B-497F-9784-43ED70941846.jpeg

These two are both great albums. 

I think the first three Elvis Costello albums are all incredible. That run is a very hard one to beat by any artist.

• Like 1

Last day.  The big one for me.  The one that has influenced my life more than any other, for numerous reasons. The others were not presented in order, but this is ichiban.

51zNJEzZxBL.jpg

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

10. Pearl Jam 10, My newest obsession. Had ticket to see them some 4 weeks ago now, but I was a very causal fan. So my research lead me to Pearl Jam Radio on Sirius XM. I already had 10 and VS, but thats it. Now I have them all. And have stated in the Pearl Jam thread,, I'm finding it harder and harder to change the station back to ESR.        

I hope when you see them they give you their A game. I saw them at Reading festival about 14years ago and it was one of the best gigs I have seen . Then saw them in London a few years later and they weren’t so good . 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Troublette said:

These two are both great albums. 

I think the first three Elvis Costello albums are all incredible. That run is a very hard one to beat by any artist.

First 3 Costello v first 3 Southside? Hmmm

Day 9

I discovered these after moving to Syracuse, NY in 1981. I can't remember which I picked up first and exactly how long I lived there before discovering them they are so entwined in my mind so I'm listing them both. I'm using the cover of the album I had for those of you familiar with the original cover. What a storyteller and another of the female writers and performers I love including Rickie Lee Jones and Aimee Mann.

The Kick Inside and The Dreaming by Kate Bush

220px-Katebushthedreaming.png

220px-The_Kick_Inside_(alternative_cover) (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
5 minutes ago, Troublette said:

Day 9

I discovered these after moving to Syracuse, NY in 1981. I can't remember which I picked up first and exactly how long is lived there before discovering them they are so entwined in my mind so I'm listing them both. I'm issuing the cover of the album I had for those of you familiar with the original cover. What a storyteller and another of the female writers and performers I love including Rickie Lee Jones and Aimee Mann.

My two favourite Kate albums. Hounds Of Love an honourable third.

The girl is pretty much a musical genius.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
5 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

My two favourite Kate albums. Hounds Of Love an honourable third.

The girl is pretty much a musical genius.

Hounds of Love is another great one! That definitely came after the two above. I didn't discover her when she first started releasing albums.

5 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

v 1st 3 Clash.....

I admit, all these years later I don't remember anything about the first two Clash albums although I had at least one before London Calling came out. London Calling just kind of pushed the others out of my head. It is one of the great ones.

No 9: Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

A near flawless debut. One of the first female singer-songwriters who's career I began to follow religiously. Seeing her live (twice) in 1995, an absolute dream come true. One of the most beautiful, charismatic and enchanting performers I have ever seen.

tracy-chapman_0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
34 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

No 9: Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

A near flawless debut. One of the first female singer-songwriters who's career I began to follow religiously. Seeing her live (twice) in 1995, an absolute dream come true. One of the most beautiful, charismatic and enchanting performers I have ever seen.

tracy-chapman_0.jpg

One of the very best debuts of all time. So good, she could never get near it again.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Troublette said:

Day 9

I discovered these after moving to Syracuse, NY in 1981. I can't remember which I picked up first and exactly how long I lived there before discovering them they are so entwined in my mind so I'm listing them both. I'm using the cover of the album I had for those of you familiar with the original cover. What a storyteller and another of the female writers and performers I love including Rickie Lee Jones and Aimee Mann.

Ian Bairson's stunning guitar solo at the end of Wuthering Heights (on TKI for those not familiar with her work) is one of my favourite moments in the entire history of popular music. I could listen to it on a loop forever.

• Like 3