• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Day 5 for me - An incredible debut album by a gifted artist

Elvis Costello, My Aim is True

MyAim_isTrue.jpg

It was a toss up between this and The Jam for which came first for me! This was to be my choice for tomorrow, but I have remembered another album which should have gone in on day 2 or 3, so Elvis will have to wait until Friday - it is Wednesday today, isn't it? 

3 hours ago, ludomichel said:

My n°3 is a single. Hope you don't mind... Definitely life-changing ...

image.png.0b1e6eac044a8ddd530a0fb90f39249d.png

Couple of Pretenders related items for those who follow the career of Ms Hynde. 1st off have you seen that she’s started posting what is promised to be a series of Dylan covers up on YouTube? 1 a week, first Summertime from Shot Of Love. 2nd, her autobiography is an entertaining warts’n’all read if you haven’t read it. Particularly liked the early London punk anecdotes. Alarming drugs & drink consumption tho’.

• Like 1

Day 5.

This album was released before my Day 4 one (Rick Wakeman), but I only 'discovered' it a couple of years later - maybe 1974/5.  The actual album belonged to my dad, but I still have it :)

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player - Elton.

image.png.9c84418afc02966d9f8cbf4167f61445.png

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2
1 hour ago, Walker in the sun said:

Couple of Pretenders related items for those who follow the career of Ms Hynde. 1st off have you seen that she’s started posting what is promised to be a series of Dylan covers up on YouTube? 1 a week, first Summertime from Shot Of Love. 2nd, her autobiography is an entertaining warts’n’all read if you haven’t read it. Particularly liked the early London punk anecdotes. Alarming drugs & drink consumption tho’.

I read her book a couple of years ago, yes, but I didn't know about the Youtube songs. Thanks, Walker, I'll give it a listen ...

Day 2.

Today is the 27th anniversary of the passing of Mick Ronson.  He was an extraordinarily talented, humble and kind man.

I didn't really get him first time around with the Bowie thing, so I came to this record a few years after it was released.  The best representation of his producing, arranging and guitar work may very well be Ellen Foley's Nightout album, but this one started my Ronson obsession. 

ronson13082518_10207852982516750_6179392900306760098_n.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/27/2020 at 12:59 PM, Troublette said:

Okay. I'll let and do these in order of when I found them and thus their importance to me. This was the first album I ever bought. I still have it up in the attic.:D

The Partridge Family, The Partridge Family Album

220px-The_Partridge_Family_Album.jpg

The Partridge Family's 'I Think I Love You' was the first single record I ever bought.  The second was The Raspberries 'Go All the Way'.  I had no idea what they were singing about at the time.  I was only 9 or 10. :D

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Day 3

This is probably the first album I bought on release day. Unfortunately, I think it's the last great Stevie Wonder album but led me back to his earlier 70s ones. All of which I had in vinyl and later CD format.

Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder

220px-Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Troublette said:

Day 3

This is probably the first album I bought on release day. Unfortunately, I think it's the last great Stevie Wonder album but led me back to his earlier 70s ones. All of which I had in vinyl and later CD format.

Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder

220px-Songs_in_the_key_of_life.jpg

'Another Star.'..great song!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, the imposter said:

Day 2

My parents bought me this for Christmas when I was 12, it made me a Dylan fan(atic) for life

image.png.58c54a0913539cc6b4e2949ea23a714c.png

I first - wow that's some album to start with!

(I love it, what I mean is, you figure one hears Blowin' In The Wind or Like A Rolling Stone first, or something like that)

I first got turned onto Dylan via Peter, Paul and Mary, as a child.

• Like 1

Day 6 - this really should have been day 2 or 3. I could pretend that it was the brilliant and cool Bob Marley who turned me on to reggae music but, in truth, it was the Tighten Up compilations - in particular volume 2.

330515F1-7BA9-478C-AECD-C0CCF9E87AFA.jpeg.7d8ad4548cccd9d571201144deb68552.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

No 4: The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

This might seem an obvious or cliched choice. But it really is the first Beatles album I came to know. It was released 5 years before I was born. My dad played his vinyl copy when I was a kid. As a teen, with my own hi-fi system, my mates and I would play it over and over. My amp had the ability to switch both speakers to the left or right channel. I used to play the record from start to finish in the left channel, then the right, then the 'whole' album. It blew me away how the stereo was mixed and how each side was almost a different album.

Hugely instrumental for me and I've been a Beatles and more specifically, McCartney fan ever since. To put this into perspective, I was listening to this album at the same time as the then brand new Macca album, Flowers in the Dirt.

The Beatles Sgt Peppers.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

My n°4 is a single again. It didn't turn me into a fan straight away, I was too young I guess. Still, I bought it when it came out, it was there, I loved it. It's still here, obviously; always has been. And looking back on the years, it's obvious "Hungry heart" changed my life, even if I wasn't aware of that at the time.

image.png.7b21e53d2c49e132120c35f7f1fb55cf.png

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Day 5

R-6050956-1423220377-4727.jpeg.jpg

This compilation album of who would become my favorite guitarist of all time would open me up to more and more of him,

leading me to some with the angriest, meanest guitar sound ever from the Godfather of the power chord as they say, which is true.

This was a great compilation to start with. (Good as any, anyway)

https://www.discogs.com/Link-Wray-Rumble/release/6050956

• Like 4