Greasy Lake Community

Albums That Influenced you

57 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Agreed, I think this is true of most of the early Beatles stereo releases. They saw stereo as a short lived gimmick back then. I have read that the band did not even give any input into the stereo mixes.

Correct, Abbey Road was the first album not released in mono. As you say, all the effort went into the mono mixes.

When the albums were first released on CD the first four were only released in mono. The next two, Help! and Rubber Soul, were given new stereo mixes by George Martin. Despite that, the stereo mix of Rubber Soul is still very lopsided. Hopefully with technological improvements they may one day be able to improve it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Day 6.

I really wanted to put Tighten Up V2 on my list - it was my sister's (being 5 years older than me) and we played it to death at home.  LOVE it! But I'm trying to stick to albums that I still have in my house - my sister probably took this with her when she got married and I shouldn't think she's got it any more :( I must ask her.

I don't still have it - no idea what happened to it, but I could happily listen to it again!

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Correct, Abbey Road was the first album not released in mono. As you say, all the effort went into the mono mixes.

When the albums were first released on CD the first four were only released in mono. The next two, Help! and Rubber Soul, were given new stereo mixes by George Martin. Despite that, the stereo mix of Rubber Soul is still very lopsided. Hopefully with technological improvements they may one day be able to improve it.

Have you heard the new stereo mix of Peppers Giles Martin did in 2017? I really hope he gets the opportunity to do that with Revolver and Rubber Soul one day. I'd bet Dollars to Donuts they are already in the can, waiting for the optimal release date...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

The only DS album I liked enough to buy, primarily for Romeo & Juliet. Pinched by an ex-girlfriend. 

She said "Hey, it's Romeo, you nearly gimme your record collection"

• Haha 3

Day 3, chronological.

1979. Ellen Foley, Nightout.  An album I return to almost more than any other. Confirmed to me Ronson's genius as arranger and guitar player. It could easily be a Foley/Ronson album credit.  Produced by Mick and Ian Hunter, it's a gem of an album and inspired Ronnie Gurr of Record Mirror to write a fantastic review.

20200430_181202.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
14 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Day 3, chronological.

1979. Ellen Foley, Nightout.  An album I return to almost more than any other. Confirmed to me Ronson's genius as arranger and guitar player. It could easily be a Foley/Ronson album credit.  Produced by Mick and Ian Hunter, it's a gem of an album and inspired Ronnie Gurr of Record Mirror to write a fantastic review.

20200430_181202.jpg

I haven't heard that album in years but use to play it a lot!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SteveJhb said:

Have you heard the new stereo mix of Peppers Giles Martin did in 2017? I really hope he gets the opportunity to do that with Revolver and Rubber Soul one day. I'd bet Dollars to Donuts they are already in the can, waiting for the optimal release date...

I like listening to the surround sound mixes of Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road. I'd love a surround sound mix of Revolver. I'd settle for a proper stereo mix of Rubber Soul.

I recently listened to the mono versions of the US albums and they sounded great.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I like listening to the surround sound mixes of Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road. I'd love a surround sound mix of Revolver. I'd settle for a proper stereo mix of Rubber Soul.

I recently listened to the mono versions of the US albums and they sounded great.

I've never heard the multi-channel mixes... I can imagine they must be amazing!

15 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Day 6 - this really should have been day 2 or 3. I could pretend that it was the brilliant and cool Bob Marley who turned me on to reggae music but, in truth, it was the Tighten Up compilations - in particular volume 2.

330515F1-7BA9-478C-AECD-C0CCF9E87AFA.jpeg.7d8ad4548cccd9d571201144deb68552.jpeg

We need a dedicated thread for Fondly Remembered Compilations  :D

• Like 1
10 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

@Promise61, I've just listened to the Ellen Foley album on YT.  It's very Spector-ish, and I thought she sounded a lot like Ronnie S on some of the songs.  I know you like Be My Baby, so a bit of a connection there?

Yep . The previews had talked about the big production side of it.

It was a huge album in Holland but seemingly nowhere else despite great reviews.

My n°5 is my first real introduction to the Rolling Stones (like everyone else on this planet, I knew "Satisfaction" and "Angie"). Someone mentioned it before  : this is obviously not one of their greatest albums, and not one of thier greatest eras. But, that "Start me up" riff was sooooo impressive to my 12 year-old ears ! Since then, the Stones have been part of my life. (and a beautiful record sleeve, by the way, which is not so common with them)

image.thumb.png.7d889c7f1841e8d2f9a7423c99236a4c.png

• Like 3

Day 4. The River.

My favourite album of all time. It can only be improved with a complete remix and remaster to clean it up. The anticipation for the release of this album was immense.

It was released when I was moving into adulthood. So much going on then. Glorious chaos.  A true companion of the road.

X

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

This one was brought to my attention by Bob Harris (he still raves about it now) on BBC Radio2, only he and Johnnie Walker ever played this artist in the UK, I kept pricking up my ears when he/they played a track "i like that" "that`s good", so decided to get this. In those days I used to drive many miles per year and by this time a CD player was standard equipment in your car. The album had it all, songs about Drugs,Alcohol,Death,Abuse,,Love,Longing and much more I would find myself driving along and these songs were whirling in my head and I just had to put the CD on, played it so much that if ever a track was played on the radio I wanted the next track right away, and of course it had the beautiful Lake Charles, (five and a half minutes of perfection) a beautiful song superbly sung by a beautiful lady and it often made me "have a moment". One of those was shared by a stranger standing next to me front and centre at the O2 in London a few years back, we stood together throuhgout and left the arena together running to catch the last trains hastily exchanging pleasantries on the way, now the only thing I remember is that she was a school teacher from somewhere in the south of england, but still etched forever in my mind because of the shared experience of that song.

They say never meet your heroes as you will end up disappointed, luckily I had the pleasure to spend some time into the wee small hours with this artist at the after show party in Perth a few years back and not a hint of disappointment she is a beautiful lady with a beautiful soul.

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1