Greasy Lake Community

Albums That Influenced you

No 5: Jimmy Smith - Respect.

Have been a huge fan of Jimmy Smith ever since. Again, a vinyl record my father used to listen to often. From here I discovered the (superior) albums such as Midnight Special and Back at the Chicken Shack.

Also, I suspect this is where my love of instrumental music and, particularly, the Hammond B3 organ, come from.

Jimmy Smith Respect.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 9 and eventually I get to the most influential of all

Day 5   

No 6: Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love I knew BITUSA. I had listened to and loved the Live box set. But this was the first new Springsteen album I listened to and had that 'Eureka!' moment...

Posted Images

Day 7. 

I had this on cassette, I played it so much in my new car I wore it out, had to use that tape repair kit, which mean't that during Check it out it wobbled for a second or twp and his voice went funny!:D Loved this album so much, soundtrack of my younger years.

R-1339487-1400142768-2509.jpeg.jpg

• Like 8
5 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

This one was brought to my attention by Bob Harris (he still raves about it now) on BBC Radio2, only he and Johnnie Walker ever played this artist in the UK, I kept pricking up my ears when he/they played a track "i like that" "that`s good", so decided to get this. In those days I used to drive many miles per year and by this time a CD player was standard equipment in your car. The album had it all, songs about Drugs,Alcohol,Death,Abuse,,Love,Longing and much more I would find myself driving along and these songs were whirling in my head and I just had to put the CD on, played it so much that if ever a track was played on the radio I wanted the next track right away, and of course it had the beautiful Lake Charles, (five and a half minutes of perfection) a beautiful song superbly sung by a beautiful lady and it often made me "have a moment". One of those was shared by a stranger standing next to me front and centre at the O2 in London a few years back, we stood together throuhgout and left the arena together running to catch the last trains hastily exchanging pleasantries on the way, now the only thing I remember is that she was a school teacher from somewhere in the south of england, but still etched forever in my mind because of the shared experience of that song.

They say never meet your heroes as you will end up disappointed, luckily I had the pleasure to spend some time into the wee small hours with this artist at the after show party in Perth a few years back and not a hint of disappointment she is a beautiful lady with a beautiful soul.

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.jpg

A classic.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

9. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes 

R-1024395-1319780626.jpeg.jpg

Thought about including this or the 1st album, but as I had Born To Run already, I felt classic American rock with romantic pop sensibilities was covered. Still a fabulous record tho’! 

• Like 2

Day 5

The next several on my list all came out close to each other but all important in different ways. We've seen this one a few times already, but this is a great album and an introduction to a style of music that became very important. I thought about other albums but this was probably the first of the new wave, whatever you want to call it for me.

My Aim is True, Elvis Costello

220px-MyAim_isTrue.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2

Day 6.

It wasn't sure to choose this or The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle for Bruce for me (as Rosalita was the one that really started it all for me, I couldn't believe it when I first heard it, how thrilling it was)

but this introduced me to the world of his bootlegs, which to this day contain his most exciting live recordings of him that I have, and which also fueled my obsession.

And this main show is a CLASSIC. (Fantastic bonus tracks too)

I could never listen to the fast E Street Shuffle, for years, after hearing it on here (and come to think of it, I generally skipped it on the second album back in the day).

I got this in 1979, when I was 12.

It's bootlegs that caused my fanaticism or obsession with Bruce over the years! Bootlegs rule.

R-10182948-1493002602-4251.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springsteen-And-The-E-Street-Band-The-Great-White-Boss/release/10182948

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Back to vinyl for this one, I guess I was looking for someone to fill the void The Beatles had left and along came this album, the vocal harmonies were just great and the songs were not too bad either eh. For 2-3 months during the summer in Scotland basically it never ever really gets dark and although the country roads and climate here do not compare with the weather and freeways of LA, driving home in the early hours after a night out (trying to get home before the milkman delivered) to grab a couple hours in bed before work, this album took you there and the sunrises were often spectacular and I would sing this in the car at the top of my voice on the journey home. Great rocking start to side 1 and I always loved You Never Cry Like a Lover, the standout track on Side 1 was the Bernie Leadon tribute song "My Man" so heartfelt, if you ever feel stressed or anxious put this song on, you will find that the soothing voice of Bernie and sumptious harmonies will have you instantly feel a real calmness descending on you, great song. Side 2 has no weak tracks but the middle three tracks Ol` `55, Is It True and Good Day In Hell are probably my favourite three consecutive tracks on any album, these are the ones you sing at the top of your voice whilst watching the sunrise on a new day, and of course the closer Best Of My Love was their firts number 1 single.

on the border.jpg

• Like 4

Starting to get difficult now; there are a few records that have had a significant impact on my musical tastes but just aren’t going to make the cut on this occasion. Ask me again in 6 months and the pack will likely be reshuffled. Perhaps you’ll allow me an eleventh post with some ‘near misses’? Anyhow.......

9 Van Morrison - Into The Music

DD83E782-0F12-4E30-901B-9715572F8C12.jpeg

• Like 9
4 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Back to vinyl for this one, I guess I was looking for someone to fill the void The Beatles had left and along came this album, the vocal harmonies were just great and the songs were not too bad either eh. For 2-3 months during the summer in Scotland basically it never ever really gets dark and although the country roads and climate here do not compare with the weather and freeways of LA, driving home in the early hours after a night out (trying to get home before the milkman delivered) to grab a couple hours in bed before work, this album took you there and the sunrises were often spectacular and I would sing this in the car at the top of my voice on the journey home. Great rocking start to side 1 and I always loved You Never Cry Like a Lover, the standout track on Side 1 was the Bernie Leadon tribute song "My Man" so heartfelt, if you ever feel stressed or anxious put this song on, you will find that the soothing voice of Bernie and sumptious harmonies will have you instantly feel a real calmness descending on you, great song. Side 2 has no weak tracks but the middle three tracks Ol` `55, Is It True and Good Day In Hell are probably my favourite three consecutive tracks on any album, these are the ones you sing at the top of your voice whilst watching the sunrise on a new day, and of course the closer Best Of My Love was their firts number 1 single.

on the border.jpg

You Never Cry Like A Lover, after One Of These Nights, my favourite Eagles song.

• Like 1