Sign in to follow this  
TOWNFULLOFLOSERS

Because the night

Just now, burghfan said:

I really hope you mean the song in the thread title in your 2nd sentence and not the one in your 1st sentence.

Yes, my first sentence is an ongoing fuss I have with RJM as she LOVES all Bruce tunes. Borderline Gus like! :D

I think it was at one of the shows at Soldiers and Sailors in Pittsburgh with Joe Grushecky where Bruce was telling a story about how he always has something to write with near the bed so if he has some lyrics pop into his head he can write them down.  He says every time it happens that when he wakes up in the morning and looks at them they aren't any good, except this one time.  That was his intro into Surprise Surprise.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I really like Surprise Surprise....:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Wout said:

It’s one of my favorite songs ever. The live versions at least, the studio version on The Promise is horrendous. 

Yep. I’m with you on this. The live 1978 versions are mint, though :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, burghfan said:

I really hope you mean the song in the thread title in your 2nd sentence and not the one in your 1st sentence.

Due to the fact I truly love the vast, VAST majority of Bruce’s stuff (shocker as this is, you know... a fan site!) JJ loves to tease me when I say I love a song...  

The ‘surprise surprise’ I believe was in response to my saying I love BTN.  

Oh, and BTW... I also love Surprise Surprise  :D 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes, my first sentence is an ongoing fuss I have with RJM as she LOVES all Bruce tunes. Borderline Gus like! :D

Well... Not ‘all,’ but yes, JJ, as you know... most!!  

Excuse my response to burghfan... I posted before I saw your response!  

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Well... Not ‘all,’ but yes, JJ, as you know... most!!  

Excuse my response to burghfan... I posted before I saw your response!  

CATERS_Puss_In_Boots_Cat_01-457x773.jpg

:(

;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

me three 

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Rosie 

Gus

6e36fda1a6273c0174352077e6b187a7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

Hate this song, never ever liked it, always skip it when I can, there's very few songs I hate by the boss but I never ever could take to it,, anyone else feel the same ?? 

I'm with you on this! Well, I cannot say I hate this song but I certainly do not like it at all. It just doesn't do anything for me and... I can't really put my finger on it, I simply just dislike pretty much everything about this song. 

(I absolutely love Seeds!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *Janey* said:

I'm with you on this! Well, I cannot say I hate this song but I certainly do not like it at all. It just doesn't do anything for me and... I can't really put my finger on it, I simply just dislike pretty much everything about this song. 

(I absolutely love Seeds!)

And that is why our board is great, greater than most boards. Ask me, ask anyone, how great our board is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Ask me, ask anyone, how great our board is. 

OK. How great is this board?

• Haha 2

It's tremendous, huge, like no other. 

People can love and hate BTN and Seeds all together. 

• Like 3

Not me! Patti Smith's version of this song was my introduction to Bruce as someone whose music I actually might like!

• Like 1

Whilst I appreciate this is a good song, which I do like, perhaps it has been a bit overplayed live in recent years.

I think it's been played at just about every E Street show I've been to, whilst songs that I really love are either never, or hardly ever played.

Obviously, that's just down to personal taste, as for me, it's probably only a top 40 Bruce song.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:11 PM, Jimmy James said:

It's tremendous, huge, like no other. 

People can love and hate BTN and Seeds all together. 

I'm not buying into this. IMO anyone that can't see that BTN is one of bs greatest songs should be barred from this board asap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2020 at 12:13 AM, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

Hate this song, never ever liked it, always skip it when I can, there's very few songs I hate by the boss but I never ever could take to it,, anyone else feel the same ?? 

tumblr_psxzvu8AEy1sc9l37o1_r1_400.gifv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

tumblr_psxzvu8AEy1sc9l37o1_r1_400.gifv

Reminds me of 1980/81 … the best Bruce EVER! :)

Is this 'yours' @newcastle roy or can I pinch it for stuff?

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

Reminds me of 1980/81 … the best Bruce EVER! :)

Is this 'yours' @newcastle roy or can I pinch it for stuff?

hahaha No it's not mine Eileen, pinch away :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TupacThePuma said:

I'm not buying into this. IMO anyone that can't see that BTN is one of bs greatest songs should be barred from this board asap.

Right so are you saying it's up there with Jungleland, Thunder Road, badlands, the promised land, Backstreets, she's the one, night, racing in the street, lost in the flood ??  OK then you've got me convinced :D

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 4/27/2020 at 4:00 PM, wolfinthepines said:

Yep. I’m with you on this. The live 1978 versions are mint, though :D

The 1978 versions of BTN are one of Bruce’s defining live moments imo. But I agree, the version on the Promise is dreadful. It just plods along with none of the power of the live version. Patti Smith’s cover is great too.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:29 PM, Lampi said:

I’ve never really liked the WOD version but I did enjoy the solo acoustic performance of it at Hershey in 2014.

3 hours ago, Declansk said:

Patti Smith’s cover is great too.

Patti Smith's version is not a cover-at least not the lyrics of the verses.

The music was written by Bruce. At the moment the song was given away to Patti Smith, Bruce's lyrics were nothing more than the title Because The Night and 'some mumbling'.

'Love is the ring, the telephone'  is about Patti desperately waiting for a phone call from future husband Fred Smith, who finally called her hours later as promised; those are clearly her lyrics.

From a long interview w/ Patti Smith: 

Smith: Some people think that I didn’t do anything: “You stole that song from Bruce!” No, he gave it to me, and he trusted me with his verses -- and I think the verses are good. I think it’s a good marriage. And in fact, when we did it the other night, and he came and did the song with us at the [2018 Tribeca Film Festival], I said to him -- he does perform it live, and he does his own lyrics -- “Please, sing your lyrics on it!” And he goes, “No, no, I want to sing your lyrics.” That was really nice. When we’re together, he calls it my song. It’s truly a Bruce song, but I infused myself into it.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:25 PM, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

Right so are you saying it's up there with Jungleland, Thunder Road, badlands, the promised land, Backstreets, she's the one, night, racing in the street, lost in the flood ??  OK then you've got me convinced :D

yip

for me yes

but because it doesn't live on one of the regular albums i kind of forget how much i love it till i hear it live 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 7:54 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

From a long interview w/ Patti Smith: 

Smith: Some people think that I didn’t do anything: “You stole that song from Bruce!” No, he gave it to me, and he trusted me with his verses -- and I think the verses are good. I think it’s a good marriage. And in fact, when we did it the other night, and he came and did the song with us at the [2018 Tribeca Film Festival], I said to him -- he does perform it live, and he does his own lyrics -- “Please, sing your lyrics on it!” And he goes, “No, no, I want to sing your lyrics.” That was really nice. When we’re together, he calls it my song. It’s truly a Bruce song, but I infused myself into it.

that's so nice :)

ive never thought she stole it and she's always credited him as co-writter and him, her

do casual fans think she stole it ?

i feel bad for her if she feels she has to justify her joint and equal ownership 

she has always seemed so genuine in her gratitude towards him giving her the song to finish - (thank you Jimmy Ivine) and he has always spoken so highly of her,  with the upmost respect for her as an artist, whome he definatly  needed at that time, to finish the song he was unable 

and she really succeed and made her version her own !

and even though i love his lyrics best i also love her version too 

its a great great song and he did say that back in the day he just was not ready to write love songs ...and she had her husband Fred :wub::)

it really is a great marriage of a song

imangine if Jimmy Ivine hadn't taken it to Patti and it had just disappeared to be more like the promise - rather than a song we can actually hear on the radio 

hopefully Patti would have had another 'one and only' hit, but we, as Springsteen fans would have been poorer for it -

and maybe he would have shelved it until the promise record in the darkness box set ?

maybe 30 plus years latter it still would have satisfied the hard core but popular music would have missed out on a great little chapter of collaboration