Greasy Lake Community

The foundation of NYC Serenade

After listening to this song today for probably the millionth time in my life, I discovered an interesting musical element in it that feels like the key to giving the song it’s mournful quality.

It’s a sound that run beneath the majority of the song quietly and makes a sound like “oooo” at the end of each beat. It is there quietly for most of the song - except for in parts like “she won’t take the train" the quiet parts, and at the very end piece.

You can hear the sound I'm talking about most clearly right after he says Billy at the start of the song. Once you hear it try listening for it throughout the whole song and it’s kind of cool. There is definitely a vibe to this song, and I think that subtle sound gives the song its soul.

Hear it? Anyone have any ideas what instrument would have made this sound?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

If the sound you're hearing is what I think it is, it's the congas (played by Bruce's friend Richard Blackwell).

Yes I have observed a conga drum head make the noise described, by moistening a finger tip and sliding it across the drum.

Also I think a cuica drum can produce a similar sound though I may be wrong.

31 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Yes I have observed a conga drum head make the noise described, by moistening a finger tip and sliding it across the drum.

Also I think a cuica drum can produce a similar sound though I may be wrong.

I think this is correct.  Check out this short video.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, gus said:

The song that got me into Bruce. What kind of mere mortal writes a composition like that?  I waited all my life to finally hear it and the drunk beside me had to talk through it. 

Has that drunk recovered from his injuries ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2