Sign in to follow this  
el sergio

Frankie - pt2

Whoa, too baaaaaaaaaad. There is already a Frankie topic on Greasy Lake, but "This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies."
Oh come on! https://www.greasylake.org/the-circuit/index.php?/topic/130325-frankie/

The Gothenburg 2012 Archival release marks the first official live appearance of Frankie. It is more than unique version with unique violin introduction. I had my first taste that of the Frankie song back in the eighties with the 'This Hard Land' vinyl bootleg. That was the Born In The USA version. I cannot remember when I first heard the Frankie 1976 version from the Allen Theatre, Cleveland, OH. It already did exist in the 80's on the vinyl boot 'All Those Years', but I only have the CD version 'All Those Years' so it might be well possible that I first heard it in the 90's on CD. Still can remember at that time that the 76 version was clearly a personal favorite. But a you grow older you start to see the world more through grays scales. And you start digging deeper. And Frankie is an extremely good companion as it covers a lot of transitional Springsteen moments

1976:
Frankie they're real crazy, let's run and hide
In the darkness there'll be hidden worlds that shine

1982:
Well Frankie I don't know what I'm gonna find
Maybe nothing at all, maybe a world I can call mine

Ken Rosen did an extremely good job with his "Roll of the dice: Frankie" piece to cover in extensio those transitional moments
https://estreetshuffle.com/index.php/2019/03/31/roll-of-the-dice-frankie/

One note: Frankie is the only Springsteen song considered for three albums, but I make it four albums since it still strikes me why this song was not included on the 'The Promise' double CD from 2010 since a lot of songs included on the album have been partially or completely re-recorded in the 21st century. Or is that Born to Run follow-up pointing towards a cinematic-meets-romantic direction still in the can?

Bruce-Springsteen1975.thumb.jpg.d5b2d62d3a98409ffccb009bf8bbb47e.jpg

I had the pleasure of hearing Frankie at my very first show way back in the spring of 76, although it went right over my head because I was in my first year of Bruce fandom and had never heard it before that night.  It's only through the magic of bootlegging that I've been able to hear over and over and enjoy what I couldn't appreciate all those years ago.  What a wonderful song it is.

• Like 5

Thanks for highlighting this; I hadn't come across this site before. What a treasure trove.

15 hours ago, el sergio said:

Whoa, too baaaaaaaaaad. There is already a Frankie topic on Greasy Lake, but "This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies."
Oh come on! https://www.greasylake.org/the-circuit/index.php?/topic/130325-frankie/

The Gothenburg 2012 Archival release marks the first official live appearance of Frankie. It is more than unique version with unique violin introduction. I had my first taste that of the Frankie song back in the eighties with the 'This Hard Land' vinyl bootleg. That was the Born In The USA version. I cannot remember when I first heard the Frankie 1976 version from the Allen Theatre, Cleveland, OH. It already did exist in the 80's on the vinyl boot 'All Those Years', but I only have the CD version 'All Those Years' so it might be well possible that I first heard it in the 90's on CD. Still can remember at that time that the 76 version was clearly a personal favorite. But a you grow older you start to see the world more through grays scales. And you start digging deeper. And Frankie is an extremely good companion as it covers a lot of transitional Springsteen moments

1976:
Frankie they're real crazy, let's run and hide
In the darkness there'll be hidden worlds that shine

1982:
Well Frankie I don't know what I'm gonna find
Maybe nothing at all, maybe a world I can call mine

Ken Rosen did an extremely good job with his "Roll of the dice: Frankie" piece to cover in extensio those transitional moments
https://estreetshuffle.com/index.php/2019/03/31/roll-of-the-dice-frankie/

One note: Frankie is the only Springsteen song considered for three albums, but I make it four albums since it still strikes me why this song was not included on the 'The Promise' double CD from 2010 since a lot of songs included on the album have been partially or completely re-recorded in the 21st century. Or is that Born to Run follow-up pointing towards a cinematic-meets-romantic direction still in the can?

Bruce-Springsteen1975.thumb.jpg.d5b2d62d3a98409ffccb009bf8bbb47e.jpg

One quick point, is this not the second official live released of Frankie, taking the 2014 Mohegan Sun version into account?

12 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Who is the lady in that picture?

Just what I was thinking :wub:

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, el sergio said:

The Gothenburg 2012 Archival release marks the first official live appearance of Frankie.

That's not entirely true. It was also played in Horsens, Denmark, in 2016. Those 2016 shows were all officially released. But the 2012 version was much better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Who is the lady in that picture?

Maybe Karen Darvin, an old girlfriend?

9b8f2f1a460ffab7577033a09b8b1f3e--karen-

• Like 1

"Who is the lady in that picture?"

it's maureen orth. she wrote the springsteen newsweek cover story back in 1975.

https://maureenorth.com/

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, SteveJhb said:

One quick point, is this not the second official live released of Frankie, taking the 2014 Mohegan Sun version into account?

13 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

That's not entirely true. It was also played in Horsens, Denmark, in 2016. Those 2016 shows were all officially released. But the 2012 version was much better.

When redacting this Frankie pt 2 (took me a few day to figure it out), I had a faint feeling that at least one Frankie song was already released as part of the Archive series. My gut feeling told me it was from one of the 2005 shows, did check that but was not true. Then my mind might have taken a different turn to this topic. Thanks anyway for the corrections. It is good to be among friends! And it show how overwhelming has become the archive series. Roll on first friday release today!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, gsquare said:

I had the pleasure of hearing Frankie at my very first show way back in the spring of 76, although it went right over my head because I was in my first year of Bruce fandom and had never heard it before that night.  It's only through the magic of bootlegging that I've been able to hear over and over and enjoy what I couldn't appreciate all those years ago.  What a wonderful song it is.

I can relate to that. Was there in Antwerp 2006, when Springsteen opened with a radically changed version of "Blinded by the light" and it went right over the big majority of the audience head, me included. It was only through the magic of bootlegging a bit later that I fully could absord that version.

• Like 1