New Archive: 7/9/81 E. Rutherford, NJ

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

so who else was at this show ?

i need to know who im listening out for Bruuuuuuuuceing ;)

I was there for a couple of these shows Daisey, but I couldn't tell you the exact dates.  My memory is definitely not as good as some are on this board and I sadly didn't keep my ticket stubs. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...Not to mention the spot on Johnny Bye Bye and then Racing. I have wanted this show for so long. I remember reading the setlist and reading about it when they published the setlists of all the shows

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,24818/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-7-9-1981-Brendan-Byrne-Arena-East-Rutherford-NJ.html Bruce Springsteen - Lead vocal, gu

Its so easy to fall in love with the first set here. Its intense and powerful to be sure. I started playing the 2nd set and encores all day yesterday, and currently started listening again this m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

I was very disappointed with the phrasing on Ramrod

He used that same phrasing on the Wembley '81 show released a couple years ago. I don't like it either, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, 1651997 said:

He used that same phrasing on the Wembley '81 show released a couple years ago. I don't like it either, to be honest.

Interesting ....Not sure why i didn't remember ....I think i was just loving the opening 3 pack so much and thinking that it was some of the best River Rocker versions i ever heard that i was anticipating a truly blockbuster Ramrod .....

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Interesting ....Not sure why i didn't remember ....I think i was just loving the opening 3 pack so much and thinking that it was some of the best River Rocker versions i ever heard that i was anticipating a truly blockbuster Ramrod .....

Yeah, me too. I haven't heard the entire show yet but I did listen to 'Ramrod' precisely for that reason. I was really hoping he would sing it with the original phrasing, but that's alright. 'Sherry Darling' is just so great that it eclipses this minor issue on 'Ramrod' by a mile! :lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Listened through once. Excellent performance, excellent sound quality. I noticed some unusual phrasing throughout, and maybe that is a result of Bruce's voice not being 100%? It's most noticeable on Who'll Stop The Rain, and 'those memories come back to haunt me' on The River, where he doesn't even attempt to go for the usual note.

6th show in 8 days 

• Like 1

I’m in a Bruce trance today.  Between this stellar release and hungryheart uk’s 24 hour Bruce marathon for charity (hungryheartsevents.com)  ‘‘tis bliss” during this lockdown.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
3 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I was there for a couple of these shows Daisey, but I couldn't tell you the exact dates.  My memory is definitely not as good as some are on this board and I sadly didn't keep my ticket stubs. 

Of course you were :wub:....They returned our check :(

• Sad 2
On 5/1/2020 at 1:00 PM, MadamMarie said:

This review has me crying and I haven’t even finished reading it!  My first show...Bruce, you, just love you.  Donation purchases made! <3

You were at this show, yes??  

3 hours ago, MadamMarie said:

I’m in a Bruce trance today.  Between this stellar release and hungryheart uk’s 24 hour Bruce marathon for charity (hungryheartsevents.com)  ‘‘tis bliss” during this lockdown.

This show has inspired me to watch my Tempe blu ray, with a few beers right now. Arguably the greatest live document of any artist. Ever. 

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

This show has inspired me to watch my Tempe blu ray, with a few beers right now. Arguably the greatest live document of any artist. Ever. 

Thanks for sharing the inspiration __busstop. Spot on with Tempe, an absolutely outstanding recording and performance. 

When it came out I flew all the way across USA to watch with my Bruce brothers and we treated like a live broadcast. The band at or so ever close to their peak performance period. As Spock would say, "Pure Energy."

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
13 minutes ago, Rumble said:

Thanks for sharing the inspiration __busstop. Spot on with Tempe, an absolutely outstanding recording and performance. 

When it came out I flew all the way across USA to watch with my Bruce brothers and we treated like a live broadcast. The band at or so ever close to their peak performance period. As Spock would say, "Pure Energy."

It really is a phenomenal viewing experience with absolutely incredible audio. I’ve watched several Bruce concerts over the last few weeks of isolation but this is the pinnacle. I’m at the encore stage now and it has flown by. Doesn’t bother me it’s not the complete show. It’s not too long to watch through in one go. 
A great way to spend a Saturday night in lockdown. No interest in going out when I can watch this, full volume with big HD audio headphones on, 4K tv, kids asleep upstairs. Not a sound to the outside world. I’m cocooned in bliss. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I adore this version. I like this way more than the '84 / B-Side version.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

well ill listen out for your Bruuuuuuuuceing then :)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I thought so!!! 

I was given boot of the show in about 2001 from an old Laker and when I heard the amount of new songs and covers I was amazed.  Honestly, I had just turned 20 a few months before and had no idea then what I was witnessing in the way of my Bruce fandom.  If that makes any sense. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Making my way through this release.  So far it seems like Clarence's sax solo entrances at the end of "Thunder Road" and even "Prove It All Night" are mixed a little low.

Also is this the slowwwwwwwest version of "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" ever?

Otherwise it is proving a very solid entry in the Archive Series!

Regarding the sax, maybe a mix issue but equally maybe Clarence starting the solo a step away from the mic before coming closer?

Regarding Darkness, I agree to the point I was wondering if the tape was actually slightly slow. The tempos on TR and PIAN are also slower here than on othe River era shows to my ears

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 1651997 said:

I adore this version. I like this way more than the '84 / B-Side version.

Agreed.  The rockabilly version takes all the sadness out of the song.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Regarding the sax, maybe a mix issue but equally maybe Clarence starting the solo a step away from the mic before coming closer?

Regarding Darkness, I agree to the point I was wondering if the tape was actually slightly slow. The tempos on TR and PIAN are also slower here than on othe River era shows to my ears

Comparing the audience recording to the sbd both are 4m 40s approx from the opening notes to the fade-out.Also at the ''now some folks are born into a good life'' line, Roy's piano is noticeably clearer on Nugs.

• Like 1

I treated myself to the CD yesterday, I have DL before, but it was so stressful, look forward to getting the CD at some point and also happy to pay the extra as a donation.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Agreed.  The rockabilly version takes all the sadness out of the song.

I thought that was what rock and roll was supposed to do!

• Haha 2

The studio version of Johnny Bye Bye is very great too, and not really a dance party song I would say; still very sad.

This said I also prefer the 1981 live versions. First heard the 2 July 1981 version on the All Those Years bootleg box in the summer of 1988; one of the many great discoveries on that fantastic bootleg (even iif the sound quality may not be so great for today's standards).

25 minutes ago, Lampi said:

The studio version of Johnny Bye Bye is very great too, and not really a dance party song I would say; still very sad.

This said I also prefer the 1981 live versions. First heard the 2 July 1981 version on the All Those Years bootleg box in the summer of 1988; one of the many great discoveries on that fantastic bootleg (even iif the sound quality may not be so great for today's standards).

that boot was one for the ages - 10 discs?

• Like 1