Greasy Lake Community

New Archive: 7/9/81 E. Rutherford, NJ

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...Not to mention the spot on Johnny Bye Bye and then Racing. I have wanted this show for so long. I remember reading the setlist and reading about it when they published the setlists of all the shows

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,24818/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-7-9-1981-Brendan-Byrne-Arena-East-Rutherford-NJ.html Bruce Springsteen - Lead vocal, gu

Its so easy to fall in love with the first set here. Its intense and powerful to be sure. I started playing the 2nd set and encores all day yesterday, and currently started listening again this m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rumble said:

that boot was one for the ages - 10 discs?

10 vinyl albums in a VERY BIG box.

And a booklet with 'liner notes' about all songs, photos and the lyrics of a few rare songs.

2 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

Its so easy to fall in love with the first set here. Its intense and powerful to be sure.

I started playing the 2nd set and encores all day yesterday, and currently started listening again this morning. Amazing stuff, party time on a hot summer night. Those lines raise me up and free me like I was young again dancing in the Sports Arena. The Gary US Bonds songs, and those that precede it, are joyous like nothing I have listened to in so long. Then Bruce brings it home and as his voice fades towards the end, he delivers an incredible Jungleland!!!  This is a magical gift, a spirit in the darkness of this pandemic. We will survive. We will transcend. Through the magic of this music and these boys rockin out on a summer night.

This is the greatest archive release ever!!!

I have been using The River Rockers to make me feel better for 40 years ....And here they are again ...... very fortuitous timing. :)

• Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
30 minutes ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I'm a huge Tom Waits fan, but I'm pretty sure the Boss owns his song.

Gorgeous, sunny version from Corinne Bailey Rae on the recent Women Sing Waits album.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/2/2020 at 10:47 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

I was there for a couple of these shows Daisey, but I couldn't tell you the exact dates.  My memory is definitely not as good as some are on this board and I sadly didn't keep my ticket stubs. 

Lucky you!!  I was only there for the opening night of the arena.   

Fantastic show, phenomenal experience...so grateful we were able to get tickets (it was extremely difficult!!);  but of course I wanted MORE!!!  (Never enough Bruce!!!) 

But as Mick says... you can’t always get what you want!!!  

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Lucky you!!  I was only there for the opening night of the arena.   

Fantastic show, phenomenal experience...so grateful we were able to get tickets (it was extremely difficult!!);  but of course I wanted MORE!!!  (Never enough Bruce!!!) 

But as Mick says... you can’t always get what you want!!!  

My memory really stinks (some of it because of treatment) but I was definitely at the first leg and then again at the second leg at Brendan Byrne.  I'm pretty sure it was twice the second leg.  

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That moment in "Racing" when he sings “She just stares off alone, into the night”, that's the good shit.

ESSENCE, one might say. :) 

The phrasing on that line is beautiful, really.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
On 5/5/2020 at 12:49 PM, 1651997 said:

ESSENCE, one might say. :) 

The phrasing on that line is beautiful, really.

I always thought the line "With the eyes of one who hates for just being born" was the real meat of the matter, so to speak. 

In any event, the song is a masterpiece. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

"Trapped, a song he found on cassette at an airport duty-free shop, it had evidently struck a chord, because the last time he had sung a cover with this much emotional undertow, he was singing 'I Want You' to Suki Lahav.
One can't help wondering what his girlfriend Joyce Heiser, who accompagnied Bruce throughout the European tour, made of this paen to a suffocating relationship - "Well it seem like I've been playin' the game way too long / And it seems the game I played has made you strong / Well when the game is over, I won't walk out a loser / And I know that I'll walk out of here again / And I know that someday I'll walk out of here again"

E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, by Clinton Heylin

1109077783_d1f720e65591baf4908e0cb8b72e5ac7-Copy.png.8a429022d473e67db4e91336a488e9d6.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Quiz: at which airport Bruce bought the Jimmy Cliff cassette tape with Trapped?

Don't let me wait until morning.. :)

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

Don't let me wait until morning.. :)

The first time I did this-I was only a Laker for a few weeks-I promised the winner would be awarded a date with Cindy Mizelle!:)

But it seems no one was interested in a date with Cindy... :o, even if some -male- Lakers knew the answer (but of course a woman can have a date with Cindy too!:) (in non-corona times)).

That was a little bit difficult but not very difficult question, this one about Trapped is really a very difficult question.

....let's try again, that little bit difficult but not very difficult question was: which venue in which city is this photo from the Live 1975-85 booklet?

It is not one of the cities where songs for Live were recorded. (Edit: thinking now this question is maybe very difficult too).

download.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

The first time I did this-I was only a Laker for a few weeks-I promised the winner would be awarded a date with Cindy Mizelle!:)

But it seems no one was interested in a date with Cindy... :o, even if some -male- Lakers knew the answer (but of course a woman can have a date with Cindy too!:) (in non-corona times)).

That was a little bit difficult but not very difficult question, this one about Trapped is really a very difficult question.

i can't imangine a greasylake with out you 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frank03 said:

Jim Marchese photo, Frankfurt April 1981. Looks like the venue in Live booklet photo.

Does not only look like, but it is. We have a winner!:)

Festhalle, Frankfurt 1981. Bruce played two shows at the same venue in 1992. (Edit: also 1 show in 2005 and 1 show in 2006. Show in 1981 opened with Factory. 2nd set saw the first ever performance in Europe of Point Blank, followed by Racing In The Street and Backstreets!)

So anybody knows Cindy Mizelle's phone number?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Lampi said:

....let's try again, that little bit difficult but not very difficult question was: which venue in which city is this photo from the Live 1975-85 booklet?

It is not one of the cities where songs for Live were recorded. (Edit: thinking now this question is maybe very difficult too).

download.jpg

I didn't know this until you mentioned it a few years (?) back. I love these kinds of details.

9 hours ago, Lampi said:

download.jpg

Trivia aside, I love that booklet. The version in my LP box looks very worn now, but many years later I found and bought the original box version of the CD set and that had a pristine version of it I've looked at once or twice.

That box set turned me into the raving Bruce loon I am, the hours spent listening to that box staring at the photos and reading the lyrics in that booklet... uncountable back in the late 80's.

That two page spread of the black and white photo of the street with My Hometown on one side and Born To Run on the other... without knowing too much Bruce biography, I found that moving at the time and it's incredible how the emotion generated by that two page spread is reflected 30 plus years later in aspects of the Springsteen On Broadway performance and even the Western Stars album

• Like 6