New Archive: 7/9/81 E. Rutherford, NJ

Such as the good cause for pandemic support I bought the show twice, firstly in FLAC and then yesterday in FLAC HD and so I compared them. 
I can say that the HD version is the best 5.75 GB of hard drive space I have ever used up. To my ears it sounds like one of the best dynamic ranges at full volume of the entire series. Amazing what can be done with those analog tapes and how often the pre-digital shows sound so much better than, particularly anything from the 2008-9 tours. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...Not to mention the spot on Johnny Bye Bye and then Racing. I have wanted this show for so long. I remember reading the setlist and reading about it when they published the setlists of all the shows

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,24818/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-7-9-1981-Brendan-Byrne-Arena-East-Rutherford-NJ.html Bruce Springsteen - Lead vocal, gu

Its so easy to fall in love with the first set here. Its intense and powerful to be sure. I started playing the 2nd set and encores all day yesterday, and currently started listening again this m

Posted Images

On 5/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, el sergio said:

"Trapped, a song he found on cassette at an airport duty-free shop, it had evidently struck a chord, because the last time he had sung a cover with this much emotional undertow, he was singing 'I Want You' to Suki Lahav.
One can't help wondering what his girlfriend Joyce Heiser, who accompagnied Bruce throughout the European tour, made of this paen to a suffocating relationship - "Well it seem like I've been playin' the game way too long / And it seems the game I played has made you strong / Well when the game is over, I won't walk out a loser / And I know that I'll walk out of here again / And I know that someday I'll walk out of here again"

E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, by Clinton Heylin

1109077783_d1f720e65591baf4908e0cb8b72e5ac7-Copy.png.8a429022d473e67db4e91336a488e9d6.png

Never saw this Paris picture

thanks

On 5/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, bobfan1976 said:

Interesting. I was really disappointed by Wembley, finding the sound mix overall very muddy. I'm not an audiophile, or expert, but this release does sound a lot cleaner, and crisper, in the mix. I can't really crank the volume just yet to check, but this sounds like it might be in the top five sound wise.

You are spot on. My headphones are very decent. And this archive is top 5. No question. Bluetooth aptxHD is a game changer by the way. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 2:32 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That's @Tim1218's site and it's really excellent. 

Thanks.  I need to get back updating it.  I’ve discovered a few tremendous Springsteen images.

Pretty awesome that one of the archive releases is from one of the shows I spotlighted.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

39 years ago today. The 54th jewel in the Archive Series' massive crown - hopefully there's still a lot of room left for more!

And while this pains me slightly to say since i wasn't able to get tickets for these shows .....This might be the best version of Detroit Medley i have ever heard ....I love Shake and Sweet Soul Music so much ....and it just goes on forever ..... Incredible

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

And while this pains me slightly to say since i wasn't able to get tickets for these shows .....This might be the best version of Detroit Medley i have ever heard ....I love Shake and Sweet Soul Music so much ....and it just goes on forever ..... Incredible

At least they're immortalised so well that those of us who weren't there (even those who weren't even born :ph34r:) can be transported to the era to think that they were, mate. 

Mind, I do think this "Medley" has serious competition from the Detroit '88 version released two months earlier ;)

58 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

At least they're immortalised so well that those of us who weren't there (even those who weren't even born :ph34r:) can be transported to the era to think that they were, mate. 

Mind, I do think this "Medley" has serious competition from the Detroit '88 version released two months earlier ;)

Paolo The Archive Encyclopedia !!!! ..... 3/28/88 ....One of the last classic medleys ever ....and with horns ..... I will need to review lol .....it will not be a painful task :P

• Haha 1
Just now, The Chicken Man said:

not great is it, easilly the worst of the 81 River shows released

I prefer the Wembley release as well, but to say this one is "easily the worst" is a bit odd given there's only the two 81 shows kicking about.

Unless you're counting the last hour of 31/12/80 as its own release seeing as they were playing on 1/1/81 :lol:

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

So gave the Detroit Detroit a spin .....For me the big plus is the outro...love that wherever it shows up although my favorite is 5-3-88 simply because they play it twice ....The downside is no Shake .... and also ( and i am not a hater ) Patti is not Steven ....

Still i appreciate you giving me an excuse to listen again to the The GOAT !!!!

• Like 2

Detroit Medley in 1988 had some added value in context with Rosalita before it and Raise Your Hand after it; more than the sum of the parts, then.

Not saying it was better, or worse, than River tour versions; just an observation.

But Rosalita was better in 1988.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jimmy James said:

This played on ESR today, heard about the middle hour piece of it. Wonderfull!!

It’s playing again now!!  :D  

• Like 1
On 7/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

39 years ago today. The 54th jewel in the Archive Series' massive crown - hopefully there's still a lot of room left for more!

I've been listening to this track in superb quality since the early days of my fandom, but it never fails to fill me with joy when I remember it's part of this project.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
On 7/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, The Chicken Man said:

not great is it, easilly the worst of the 81 River shows released

Genuine question: did you mean to say it’s the worst of the 1981 River shows? Or merely as you put it, that it’s inferior to the NUGS release from London?

On 7/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, Early North Jersey said:

Like the ugliest Miss Universe Contestant :lol:

Also depending on preference for blond, black, brunette of Red-Headed Women.

Miss Universe elections still exist in the Me Too age? It's so......20th Century.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Genuine question: did you mean to say it’s the worst of the 1981 River shows? Or merely as you put it, that it’s inferior to the NUGS release from London?

....Or a tongue-in-cheek-post (but of course he should answer the question himself).

At least it seems the worst River Tour show in sound quality (on audience tapes) was the famous cattle market show (attended by some Lakers).