Greasy Lake Community

1988 - Inside the Tunnel Love

Thank you for posting this! Remember seeing and recording this at the time and getting obsessed with the Light of Day clip - I’d never heard it before! Definitely going to revisit this a bit later today :D.

• Like 1

Totally spooky.  I've been sorting through my VHS tapes with a view uploading some stuff to my laptop and I came across this one.

Yours is much better quality, though.  Tnx for sharing.

:)

• Like 1

That was awesome.  Thank you for sharing. 

It is always interesting to hear Bruce talk about his work, he always seems so introspective and able to express his thoughts in a way that is easy to understand.  I’m not really like that so I find it fascinating.

I wonder who won the contest.

And man did Patti ever make that little black skirt look great. 

• Like 1

Coo, I enjoyed that, @JimCT! Loved the clips of One Step Up, Light Of Day and Roulette.  I think he was being quite candid with the interviewer about his marriage, without actually saying it word for word.  He could've just said yes, this album is about my marriage and the troubles we're having (or have had) but he makes it about everyone (which is the genius of Brucie, I suppose). And wasn't he more than a little attractive around that period? :wub: You don't have to answer that, Jim ;)

• Like 4
On 5/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, JimCT said:

nearly an hour of video - enjoy!

https://videopress.com/v/pXf5J7uB

Nice find, it's been years since I've seen the complete doc! 

I remember seeing it in April of '88 when it originally aired, and being pissed at myself after going back and re-watching it.  I programmed my VCR but it cut off the last 10 seconds of their conversation!

Here's some interesting outtake footage from the special (listen for the production guy's voiceover describing Roy and Patti :D):

Really enjoyed this, thanks for posting. It was a similar documentary in the UK that got me hooked. Bruce being interviewed interlinked with mainly TOL songs and live excerpts. I realised there was much more to the man than what I'd seen in the BITUSA video, and how down-to-earth and modest he was (and is!)

I've posted previously on here about that program, I've always been convinced it was a bbc Whistle Test special and David Hepworth was interviewing, but no-ones been able to identify it. Must be just my memory, 30 odd years is a long time.......

Wow, I haven't seen that, well since 1988! The interview was actually pretty good and did get into the where did this album come from Mr. Rockstar who should still be in your honeymoon phase. Plus the Tunnel tour was one of Bruce's best looks, especially after the BITUSA one!

11 hours ago, estband said:

Nice find, it's been years since I've seen the complete doc! 

I remember seeing it in April of '88 when it originally aired, and being pissed at myself after going back and re-watching it.  I programmed my VCR but it cut off the last 10 seconds of their conversation!

Here's some interesting outtake footage from the special (listen for the production guy's voiceover describing Roy and Patti :D):

Love the bit after the Nils interview where someone, clearly not knowing his name, refers to him as the 'guitar player' and you hear him shout over the top ,'Nils Lofgren'!

10 hours ago, Mack boy said:

Really enjoyed this, thanks for posting. It was a similar documentary in the UK that got me hooked. Bruce being interviewed interlinked with mainly TOL songs and live excerpts. I realised there was much more to the man than what I'd seen in the BITUSA video, and how down-to-earth and modest he was (and is!)

I've posted previously on here about that program, I've always been convinced it was a bbc Whistle Test special and David Hepworth was interviewing, but no-ones been able to identify it. Must be just my memory, 30 odd years is a long time.......

There was a doco called Glory Days that even made it onto TV here in Australia that was basically promoting the Live 75-85 box set. It didn't feature any TOL songs but featured an array of other delicious delicacies such as snippets from the 78 Phoenix Prove It clip, Thunder Rd from Largo 78 and LA 85, Sandy from Hammersmith,  Jungleland and Quarter To Three from 78, a swag of stuff from LA 85 (snippets from BITUSA, This Land Is Your Land, Darkness, No Surrender, Growin Up and more including almost a full Johnny 99).

It was interview format featuring Bruce and the band. I had no idea who the interviewer was at the time ( he was British), but I think I learnt here that it was David Hepworth.

That doco was on YouTube for a while, but I remember it was hard to find... basic key words like ' Bruce doco' or even 'David Hepworth Springsteen doco' and so forth wouldn't bring it up, if anyone knows whether it's still on there please post the link. It's still probably my favourite Bruce documentary,  I wore my VHS copy of it out back in the day.

• Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

There was a doco called Glory Days that even made it onto TV here in Australia that was basically promoting the Live 75-85 box set. It didn't feature any TOL songs but featured an array of other delicious delicacies such as snippets from the 78 Phoenix Prove It clip, Thunder Rd from Largo 78 and LA 85, Sandy from Hammersmith,  Jungleland and Quarter To Three from 78, a swag of stuff from LA 85 (snippets from BITUSA, This Land Is Your Land, Darkness, No Surrender, Growin Up and more including almost a full Johnny 99).

It was interview format featuring Bruce and the band. I had no idea who the interviewer was at the time ( he was British), but I think I learnt here that it was David Hepworth.

That doco was on YouTube for a while, but I remember it was hard to find... basic key words like ' Bruce doco' or even 'David Hepworth Springsteen doco' and so forth wouldn't bring it up, if anyone knows whether it's still on there please post the link. It's still probably my favourite Bruce documentary,  I wore my VHS copy of it out back in the day.

This one?

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/bruce-springsteen/glory-days-rockumentary-video_646a32cb8.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NewOnTheFuzzyTube+(New+on+Totally+Fuzzy)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

I have the soundtrack to that show as a vinyl boot!

• Like 1

That's the one. Bloody hell, I watched my favourite live snippets from that (If not the whole thing) at least once a week for a good six months after it aired here and I recorded it.

• Like 1

Glory Days was what got me into Bruce all those years ago. My dad recorded it simply to see what all the BUSA fuss was about. I was only about 7 years old! 

I copied it to DVD for him for Father's Day a few years ago and it brought back do many memories watching it all over again (the bears in Growin' Up, Nils' huge hat, Bruce banging the drums in Quarter To Three, Garry's leather jacket!).