Promise61

What the hell is a 'soul fairy band' ?

I've never pondered this deliberately before re 'soul fairy band' but I took it in the same spirit as the notion of the 'band and street choir' that informs my enjoyment of Van Morrison: a sense of traditional or folk roots supplying the 'fairy' or 'fey' bit twinned with the 'soul music', an all-inclusive music. I hasten to say I offer this as food for thought, and haven't put it under the microscope!

• Love Love Love! 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:50 AM, Jertucky said:

Right. He just writes words that fit into his song, though the proper term would have fit just as well.:P

If he'd only squeezed in "he could bowl that sandshoe crusher by you" it would have more sense down here.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

well i guess its  poetic licence

there is no such thing as fuelie heads on a big block 

he needs a smaller engine for that  - but small engines are not sexy 

i got a 69 chevy with a 327 :lol:

the hurst as aftermarket maybe 

Wow. Wow. Yes.

You get it. Its all part of the story. He is alice lost in wonderland under the hood. Its there to paint a picture. a 396 or 327 it doesnt matter. What matters is how it sounds, it makes sense as poetry or words that paint a picture. I always see that bad ass car and the dude from L.A. with that 70's moustache. The girl in one of those yellow t shirts and those bell bottom jeans. How our hero steals her. Then how later she is lost as he runs away to run another race. The empty pleasure in the meaningless win....

I also love the soul fairy band. Playing those drunk lust filled chords as they play by the lake in drunken drug addled fun. The band plays on and on, on a hot summer night before the various plagues have had thier way with us. We are them, and then they become us. Transformed by the times, and the ties that bind. The speed ball flying past us as we age. The point I am making is that it is all part of the fabric of the guys music. It is the most wonderful language I have heard.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, Promise61 said:

Never been a fan of Spirit In The Night, but

you lost me after this

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

spirit is one of those songs i never think about but the moment i hear it i want to dance 

its just pure fun ....kind of like a long kitty 

On 5/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, Leo88 said:

I believe that “down the plate” may allude to the baseball term “down the pike”.  

‘The plate’ in the early lyrics refers to home base.  I’ve heard those terms (home base/home plate) used interchangeably countless times.  

In reference to your other comment, the ‘make you look like a fool boy’ meant the ball went so fast past the guy at bat, that he didn’t stand a chance at all at hitting the thing; thus he looked like a fool.  That’s how good the character (pitcher) in the song was ‘back in high school.’ 

11 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

The point I am making is that it is all part of the fabric of the guys music. It is the most wonderful language I have heard.

Agree 100%.  

20 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

‘The plate’ in the early lyrics refers to home base.  I’ve heard those terms (home base/home plate) used interchangeably countless times.  

In reference to your other comment, the ‘make you look like a fool boy’ meant the ball went so fast past the guy at bat, that he didn’t stand a chance at all at hitting the thing; thus he looked like a fool.  That’s how good the character (pitcher) in the song was ‘back in high school.’ 

Much like a knowledgeable baseball fan would not call a fastball a speedball, one would not call home plate home base. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Much like a knowledgeable baseball fan would not call a fastball a speedball, one would not call home plate home base. 

I'd prefer a song written by a knowledgeable songwriter over a song written by a knowledgeable baseball fan anytime, anyday and anyway. :P

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

I'd prefer a song written by a knowledgeable songwriter over a song written by a knowledgeable baseball fan anytime, anyday and anyway. :P

Agreed. That said, I’d rather the songwriter not sound foolish in the process.

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2020 at 11:46 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

.....the sooner we get live sport back on telly the better 

- And I'll be sitting there looking for a speedball!

• Haha 1

If I was feeling laid back and in the mood for some smooth music, I would definitely listen to a soul fairy band. No real idea what it means, but I've always felt it sounds like it would be great music.

2 hours ago, CallMeJoe said:

- And I'll be sitting there looking for a speedball!

If you sit on the "speedball" you have trouble with the curve! :P

On 5/11/2020 at 7:50 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

I’ve heard those terms (home base/home plate) used interchangeably countless times.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:12 AM, Jertucky said:

one would not call home plate home base. 

Home Plate:

image.png.3eb08e54fee6ef4027daa05642216f1c.png

1st, 2nd and 3rd base

image.png.c8605e216dc6c7d4fcd7114d4cd6c6c0.png

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

.....the sooner we get live sport back on telly the better 

On 5/9/2020 at 6:59 AM, Kent Guitar said:

Comfortable with the speedball versus fastball. Always thought it was a provincial term that hasn’t made these shores.

Don’t know what a soul fairy band is, but I reckon they would get to gigs in a Bar M Chopper whatever the fuck that is.

I always assumed a Bar M chopper was a helicopter owned by the Bar-M ranch. I do not know if any Bar-M ranches have ever had helicopters.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Trang said:

I always assumed a Bar M chopper was a helicopter owned by the Bar-M ranch. I do not know if any Bar-M ranches have ever had helicopters.

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard of a Bar-M ranch.

i just read the title of this thread and my feet want to move ...in very bad white girl dance moves :lol:

no other artist on earth has ever made me want to dance 

On 5/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, Tanqueray&Wine said:

If he'd only squeezed in "he could bowl that sandshoe crusher by you" it would have more sense down here.

At you.  If goes by you, it missed.:D

54 minutes ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

At you.  If goes by you, it missed.:D

Thanks Humph, that's an important distinction for baseball players who walk off if they get hit. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Well, the answer to the question posed at the top of the thread is that Bruce is shit at baseball terminology.

• Haha 2

well i onky know about cricket so i love the line :)

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well i onky know about cricket so i love the line :)

He could bowl a googly at you,make you look like a fool boy.

• Haha 1