Greasy Lake Community

The shot voice adds to the poignancy of the tale, the outro features perfect bass playing, Suzi's violin drifts in and out and is perfect. The whole outro is perfect. The sun is going down...its pure magic. I have watched this clip 100+ times. 

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to mention the 2nd night in Oakland in 2007. I was between Bruce and Steve's mic. During the ending of racing Bruce looked down at me and seemed to say "Thats alright, Man" as I was clearly e

I was at the US Nationals in 1978 when the Snake and Mongoose faced off for the final round. That was some of the best Racing I have ever seen    

The Hyde Park one is great, but this is still my favorite version (although not technically a concert version).      

Posted Images

See I think that the shot voice only detracts from the performance, and does the fact that Bruce is playing during sunlight.  Opinions vary.  I would guess that the best Racing was some time in Fall 1984.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

The shot voice adds to the poignancy of the tale, the outro features perfect bass playing, Suzi's violin drifts in and out and is perfect. The whole outro is perfect. The sun is going down...its pure magic. I have watched this clip 100+ times. 

That's it right there, discussion over :)

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

For me, the #1 is by far April 22, 2008. The first show after Danny's passing, and part of the live archives.

As for second place, there's a lot of contenders haha

Proud to say I was there and also at Hyde Park London 2009. But Tampa 2008 was special. I’ve probably witnessed two of the best. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

Three way tie. Hyde Park 2009 is one of them. Live/1975-85 is another. And Tempe '84 as taped by our dear JimCT is the third. Each has a different vibe and is wonderful in its own special way.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, 65pacecar said:

I was at the US Nationals in 1978 when the Snake and Mongoose faced off for the final round. That was some of the best Racing I have ever seen :P 

57FCB92B-2B5D-4044-B956-C08B72ADE728.jpeg

Song wise it was probably 9-14-1981 in Cincinnati for the last night of the River tour snuggled between Johnny BYE BYE and Ramrod.   That may be the best Bruce show I ever attended, the night before was great too and so was the 10-4-1980 show but that one was amazing. 

• Like 3

For me it will always be the July 6, 1981 version at the Meadowlands (the one on Live/1975-85).  The Bittan/Federici keyboards just kill me every time.

Second is September 19, 1978 (the one on Passaic Night)… "midnight blue with a Hurst on the floor..."

Sadly, I'm still waiting to hear him perform Racing live at a concert I attend.

• Like 3

The '85 version at Ullevi, Gothenburg with a long spoken intro had a huge impact on me. Something along "to have just one thing in your whole life that makes you proud of yourself is not to much for anyone to ask for". Very powerful emotional impact. To me, the later day performances lack that emotional commitment from Bruce. Like he has now moved forward, sorted things out,  and is more of a performer singing the song.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Agreed.

I too agree.  He now almost speaks some of the words.  In the 70's and 80's he really sang the whole song.  

But I also have a fondness for Gothenburg 22-Jun-2003 when the finale of the song went on for what seemed like an age. Roy was on form and Bruce just let him play and play.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, muscum said:

I too agree.  He now almost speaks some of the words.  In the 70's and 80's he really sang the whole song.  

But I also have a fondness for Gothenburg 22-Jun-2003 when the finale of the song went on for what seemed like an age. Roy was on form and Bruce just let him play and play.  

Got to say, I kind of disagree - I actually really like the way he almost talks through the later versions. I see it as him reminiscing on a thought, or something

That said, the song is just so good that there really isn't a 'best version' - I think because of the (relative) infrequency of its appearance in the setlists, whenever it is played it is always quite emotional, and that shows with the fantastic performances. Perhaps that's why I may be slightly more drawn to the later versions, where its stature as one of his greatest songs has had time to grow and grow with age.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

If Bruce had rerecorded Racing in the Street the way that he has been doing it this last decade, and stuck it on Western Stars, it would have fit right in. It's not a young man song anymore - BobbyJames hit the nail on the head, it's an old man reminiscing. It's almost a different song, and that should be celebrated. The song has lived a lifetime.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
2 minutes ago, HeroOfVirtue said:

It's almost a different song, and that should be celebrated. The song has lived a lifetime.

This is what has always blown me away about his songwriting, as well as the songwriting of peers such as Bob Dylan, Neil Young or Tom Petty 

They all wrote songs from young ages that are just timeless - they have written songs in their 20s and 30s that they can still sing in their 60s+ without sounding like an embarrassing uncle (with a few exceptions). The songs are so perfectly written that they age with the writer and take on new meanings - it's just fantastic songwriting, and what makes those artists who they are

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I've said otherwise in here and here, but the rendition from Adelaide in late January 2017 is very special. I'm actually gutted that I can't find it on the internet and share it on here with those who haven't heard it yet. I guess the lack of a fan recorded video speaks volumes about how hypnotic it was/is. 

As always, a masterclass of piano, organ, drumming, bass and guitar playing (and the rest), but it's the delicate way Bruce sings the song here that always strikes me. There are posts above about reminiscing, speaking the lyrics etc., but this is, well, different. There's no regret, no remorse and sadness ala Tampa '08. To me this version is being sang by a cowboy who is strongly contemplating that one last voyage into the unknown. 

If you get the chance to listen to it, please do. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
15 hours ago, Bear Down Boss said:

The Hyde Park one is great, but this is still my favorite version (although not technically a concert version).

Agreed - this is the one.  Pisses over the Hyde park version. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I've said otherwise in here and here, but the rendition from Adelaide in late January 2017 is very special. I'm actually gutted that I can't find it on the internet and share it on here with those who haven't heard it yet. I guess the lack of a fan recorded video speaks volumes about how hypnotic it was/is. 

As always, a masterclass of piano, organ, drumming, bass and guitar playing (and the rest), but it's the delicate way Bruce sings the song here that always strikes me. There are posts above about reminiscing, speaking the lyrics etc., but this is, well, different. There's no regret, no remorse and sadness ala Tampa '08. To me this version is being sang by a cowboy who is strongly contemplating that one last voyage into the unknown. 

If you get the chance to listen to it, please do. 

The whole show is a must-listen... and its pairing with Murder Inc right into Death to My Hometown right into this magnificent Racing in the Streets is just incredible to hear. Wish I were there, but the live download from Nugs is a cherished purchase.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Agreed - this is the one.  Pisses over the Hyde park version. 

I think The Paramount Theatre concert is great and pretty much the Darkness On the Edge of Town album redone, right this time. I have the audio ripped to a cd and that is what I go to if I want to listen to the Darkness album. That said, this is a great version of Racing but the 4 minute instrumental ending is a little to much for my taste. For best version I'd go for a 70's or 80's passionate live version.

• Like 1