Greasy Lake Community

The best Racing ever?

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Second, I realized that the versions from the fall leg, in arenas, benefitted from the ability to darken the entire venue and leave only spotlights on Roy and Bruce. I really think that added to the experience at the time.

This one is for you:

43 minutes ago, el sergio said:

This one is for you:

Lovely, thank you! I do miss Clarence's baritone sax, and the wistful organ into of Nov '84 leading into the spoken intro. There are no BAD Racings - just some are better than others. And maybe the one you saw, or the last one you saw, or the first one you saw, are the best because of the rest of the context. ;) 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, el sergio said:

Is that the same as for Thunder Road? (same cartoonist, from Belgium I think)

But that was in colour and not finished.

10 hours ago, Lampi said:

Is that the same as for Thunder Road? (same cartoonist, from Belgium I think)

But that was in colour and not finished.

I can not remember anymore how I found this Racing tribute by Jack Kirby and Matt Barnett

On 5/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, TheBoss said:

The '85 version at Ullevi, Gothenburg with a long spoken intro had a huge impact on me. Something along "to have just one thing in your whole life that makes you proud of yourself is not to much for anyone to ask for". Very powerful emotional impact. To me, the later day performances lack that emotional commitment from Bruce. Like he has now moved forward, sorted things out,  and is more of a performer singing the song.

Of course, nearly 37 years later, we know why Bruce chose this moment, 1985, to speak in character, the only time he has ever done so on the concert stage. 

At least we thought it was in character. 

From his own autobiography and interviews, it is now clear that he was speaking as himself— at the summit of success that exceeded his dreams, approaching the white hot fame of his idols Elvis and the Beatles, yet more isolated, more unhappy than ever, soon to hurry into a desperate marriage with a woman with whom he had nothing in common, enacting the doomed relationship of the song, a man consumed by his own brain chemicals. As Springsteen has said several times, his joy on stage always belies “the abyss that is at my heels”

“It was hard 
to explain to her 
that when I drove 
and when I won 
was the only time
that I felt good about myself.
To have one thing
just one thing
in life 
that makes you feel good. 
That’s not too much to ask. 
Is it?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHRMvLrE3U

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Injoy said:

Of course, nearly 37 years later, we know why Bruce chose this moment, 1985, to speak in character, the only time he has ever done so on the concert stage. 

From his own autobiography and interviews, it is now clear that he was speaking as himself— at the summit of success that exceeded his dreams, approaching the white hot fame of his idols Elvis and the Beatles, yet more isolated, more unhappy than ever, soon to hurry into a desperate marriage with a woman with whom he had nothing in common, enacting the doomed relationship of the song, a man consumed by his own brain chemicals. As Springsteen has said several times, his joy on stage always belies “the abyss that is at my heels”

“It was hard 
to explain to her 
that when I drove 
and when I won 
was the only time
To have one thing
just one thing
in life 
Is it?”

The 1977 and 1978 versions of Backstreets have him speaking in character or as himself or a combination of both or . . . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Injoy said:

“It was hard 
to explain to her 
that when I drove 
and when I won 
was the only time
To have one thing
just one thing
in life 
Is it?”

Man I was going to comment that Kansas City version! Glad someone else agrees with me too. A haunting rendition no doubt 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:54 AM, el sergio said:

I can not remember anymore how I found this Racing tribute by Jack Kirby and Matt Barnett

No it is not the same.

Thunder Road is a little book, the song set to drawings (sadly not finished), and in colour.

BTW how is the work-in-progress topic about the 1992-1993 tour going?

On 8/5/2021 at 8:54 AM, el sergio said:

Marc Verhaegen (Suske & Wiske).

Google 'Thunder Road Marc Verhaegen' and that will do the trick.

Everyone reading this especially google 'Marc Verhaegen Make Crosses From Your Lovers'. Looks like Garry did something wrong...

Oh, and Marc thinks Mary's dress sways...

14 hours ago, Lampi said:

Marc Verhaegen (Suske & Wiske).

Google 'Thunder Road Marc Verhaegen' and that will do the trick.

Everyone reading this especially google 'Marc Verhaegen Make Crosses From Your Lovers'. Looks like Garry did something wrong...

Oh, and Marc thinks Mary's dress sways...

Alright thanks for the tip off, but I got the feeling that this Marc Verhaegen tribute to Thunder Road is a bit too litterally.

42 minutes ago, el sergio said:

Alright thanks for the tip off, but I got the feeling that this Marc Verhaegen tribute to Thunder Road is a bit too litterally.

Yes indeed, a drawing for every sentence (and as said he did not make it to the end).

Like, the drawing for 'Roses in the rain' is indeed a drawing of a hand throwing roses in the rain (out of the window).

'The radio plays'-a drawing of a radio. 'Roy Orbison singing for the lonely'-a drawing of Roy Orbison.

Some go a little bit further, like the one mentioned above. There is also a drawing where the wallpaper in the room is (supposed to be) the same as the wallpaper from the Darkness album cover.

live at the Brendan Byrne Arena Meadowlands New Jersey 07/08/1992. The first and only non E-Street B electrified rendition. Roy Bittan waves a beautiful keyboard intro, some delicate guitar chords. Then Bittan goes with his right hand on the piano and plays those five notes that dig in the heart. From that point on, the song goes on as we know it, but it does surprise again at the end when two guitars take on to each other in a quite unusual way. An unique execution in every sense

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Hug 1

• 2 months later...

OK, I never go in depth over these kinds of discussions, as I'm not the best technically ear worthy person. But 12/15/78 played this morning on ESR of Racing in the Streets. But at 4:30 this morning this tune just hit me. Tears hit me about half way though. Than Roy's piano recused me with I believe is the joy of being alive. So I didn't read this whole thread and don't know where you rank this performance, but needs to be close to the top! 

• Like 1