Greasy Lake Community

Bono names his top 60 songs that saved his life. There's one Springsteen song on the list. Can you guess which one?

Before you open the article or scroll down, try to guess which song it'll be.

Give yourself a top 5 or so to really boost your odds. Top 10 if you want. Let's see if you can get it.

https://pitchfork.com/news/bono-turns-60-shares-60-songs-that-saved-my-life-playlist-listen/

Now, don't scroll down until you've finalized your guess, or looked at the article.

....So was anyone even remotely expecting to see "There Goes My Miracle"? Wow that's a deep cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bono / U2 are one of those mega rock acts all too easy to dismiss until you delve back into their work or see some of their live shows and you understand why they are where they are. One of the greate

Gotta say....Pretty brave of you to start a Bono thread on the main board  The disdain for Mr. Hewson grows deep here. In fact, I think he comes in 2nd on the most despised list, right below the STING

Yeah but some (if not all for many) of those tags could be pinned on the vast majority of rock & pop stars since the genre started - it's part of the credentials required for the job...……..those t

This is the guy who picks a song which he sings on as the most important song, and picks the godawful kanye West's shockingly bad Black Skinhead at number 3 ....sounding like a rap ripoff of a marilyn manson song. 

The guy's a nob!>#

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

This is the guy who picks a song which he sings on as the most important song, and picks the godawful kanye West's shockingly bad Black Skinhead at number 3 ....sounding like a rap ripoff of a marilyn manson song. 

The guy's a nob!>#

He didn't rank them from his favourite to least favourite,he just gave us a general list.

• Like 1

Some interesting stuff on that list. Killing Me Softly by the Fugees is what I consider to be the worst cover song I’ve ever heard (pretty much a copy of the original with an inferior singer and “one time.......two times” thrown in there) but overall, a pretty listenable playlist. I would skip the Springsteen selection if I played it though.

2 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Before you open the article or scroll down, try to guess which song it'll be.

Give yourself a top 5 or so to really boost your odds. Top 10 if you want. Let's see if you can get it.

https://pitchfork.com/news/bono-turns-60-shares-60-songs-that-saved-my-life-playlist-listen/

Gotta say....Pretty brave of you to start a Bono thread on the main board :P The disdain for Mr. Hewson grows deep here. In fact, I think he comes in 2nd on the most despised list, right below the STINGer & just above JonBon.

...& on that note... Happy 60th Bono Vox. That's right...He's hit the big Six-O

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
50 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Gotta say....Pretty brave of you to start a Bono thread on the main board :P The disdain for Mr. Hewson grows deep here. In fact, I think he comes in 2nd on the most despised list, right below the STINGer & just above JonBon.

I'd say Bono is probably the most divisive rock star there has ever been,people either absolutely hate him or absolutely love him;I'm in the latter group.

56 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Gotta say....Pretty brave of you to start a Bono thread on the main board :P The disdain for Mr. Hewson grows deep here. In fact, I think he comes in 2nd on the most despised list, right below the STINGer  WANKer & just above JonBon.

Fixed it.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Fixed it.

'de do do do de da da da is all I want to say to you. Stick that in your Habeas Corpus your Judgeship'

sting-photo-57th-and-300cmyk-foto-di-eri

• Haha 2

Didn't even know he was turning 60, remember when Bruce turned 60?  He was ancient then, he's ancient now.

I like that he picked this song, couldn't stand one note of it before but after the WS movie, it's gone from one extreme to the other for me. 

And just think how many he could have actually picked.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kooly said:

Bono's list is more boring than he is.

Well......That's not very nice, is it?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Didn’t expect that, but as I too absolutely love that song,  I do understand.  

But were you close to ending your life before hearing it? 

3 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

So Bruce saved Bono’s life just last year?  Wow! 

And just the opposite for me, I about ended it all by listening to it the first time. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Accountant Pete said:

Killing Me Shortly

Was this intentional?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't like Bono, but love most of their music. It's a weird paradox, I'm not going to pretend it's simple to understand.. :)

Fucking 60. He needs an elevator now..

• Like 2

Would never had guessed that one. Of all the songs that U2 and Bono have ever written, they needed a bit more of a thank you to Bruce, for the inspiration   than choosing that:angry:

Having said that - writing to the artist or family to explain his choice sounds like something that would fill my next week of lockdown in the UK.

Leaving aside the shite song choices by Bono  , there are some tunes on his list that are worth a revisit - Echo and the Bunnymen , This Mortal Coil, Joy Division, New Order, Taking Heads, Arcade Fire  and a few more.

Shame he spoilt it by adding in the gobshite stuff - to get everyone to react! Otherwise nobody would have noticed he was 60;)

• Like 1

The smartest opinion Bono ever expressed in relation to music was to name Because the Night “the song we wish we had written” when inviting Patti Smith and Springteen onto stage at Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame.

• Like 2

It's funny when someone famous/artistic discloses a Bruce song they love and coz we may not dig it to the earth and back we go, "Thaaaat song?"

Remember when Chris Martin started covering Workin' On A Dream?  Exactly.  Songs hit their sweet spots for all of us.  

• Like 1