Greasy Lake Community

Bono names his top 60 songs that saved his life. There's one Springsteen song on the list. Can you guess which one?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bono / U2 are one of those mega rock acts all too easy to dismiss until you delve back into their work or see some of their live shows and you understand why they are where they are. One of the greate

Gotta say....Pretty brave of you to start a Bono thread on the main board  The disdain for Mr. Hewson grows deep here. In fact, I think he comes in 2nd on the most despised list, right below the STING

Yeah but some (if not all for many) of those tags could be pinned on the vast majority of rock & pop stars since the genre started - it's part of the credentials required for the job...……..those t

10 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

It's funny when someone famous/artistic discloses a Bruce song they love and coz we may not dig it to the earth and back we go, "Thaaaat song?"

Remember when Chris Martin started covering Workin' On A Dream?  Exactly.  Songs hit their sweet spots for all of us.  

A dream awaits....

22 hours ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

I'd say Bono is probably the most divisive rock star there has ever been,people either absolutely hate him or absolutely love him;I'm in the latter group.

Bono / U2 are one of those mega rock acts all too easy to dismiss until you delve back into their work or see some of their live shows and you understand why they are where they are. One of the greatest rock acts of all time. No question.

• Like 8

I guess pretty much all artists playing in the commercial top league are self-centered people, full of themselves and "attention whores". Bruce no exception. In my opinion Sting and Bono are neither better nor worse than the average rock star in that regard. I am not saying this as a fan of them.  I am no particular fan of U2 and Bono's music and find Sting's music way to complicated for my taste.

2 hours ago, Demos said:

Bono / U2 are one of those mega rock acts all too easy to dismiss until you delve back into their work or see some of their live shows and you understand why they are where they are. One of the greatest rock acts of all time. No question.

Bono is Marmite - we all know that - and whilst I don't mind some of his antics he can also at times make me cringe - but U2 have produced a terrific body of work (overall) and have been up near the top (some would say ON top) of the rock tree for several decades now, and to do that with a front man that as many people seem to hate as like is no mean feat!

Loads of their songs I really like and whilst I've seen Bruce live over 100 times and The Who live over 70 times (and they will always be my two favourite live acts) there are scores of bands / acts I've seen over the years, many in double figures, and a couple that would be up at 20+ times and U2 are one of those - first saw them at Live Aid and first U2 "show" was 1987 and for me Where The Streets Have No Name (with that drawn out organ intro) is one of thee best moments in live rock! Bono might be guilty of plenty but nothing I can't forgive him for because of the pleasure he has provided by his writing and their work as a band.    

1 hour ago, Demos said:

Without a doubt. I have been a fan since the early 80's and have seen them loads of times over the years. Went off them in the last 10 years or so, but for me when they were at their best they were the closest thing to Bruce and the ESB as a live act. The best band of my adult lifetime as far as I am concerned.

1 hour ago, Demos said:

So why don’t I like them? I really don’t understand it myself. Play me any individual U2 song and I’ll like it. Play a second one and I’ll turn it off. If you told me they were a great band I’d agree with you. Why can’t I handle them?

38 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

So why don’t I like them? I really don’t understand it myself. Play me any individual U2 song and I’ll like it. Play a second one and I’ll turn it off. If you told me they were a great band I’d agree with you. Why can’t I handle them?

Not everyone thinks Bruce is one of the greats either,but general consensus says otherwise.For example I'm not a fan of The Rolling Stones or The Who,but I understand and respect why they belong in the pantheon of the all-time greats.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gus said:

Bruce is the greatest.End of discussion. 

ExaltedBewitchedLangur-small.gif

8 hours ago, Demos said:

Have to agree, they have done a lot of good stuff over the years. Bad could easily have made my top ten that we were all doing a few weeks back.

Having said that, personally, I think it comes across as slightly pretensious to be known to the public at large, by a knickname you were given by a mate!

Same thing with Sting.

It's only a minor thing, and I know, I know, you can be called whatever you like!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, mariasbed said:

Having said that, personally, I think it comes across as slightly pretensious to be known to the public at large, by a knickname you were given by a mate!

Same thing with Sting.

It's only a minor thing, and I know, I know, you can be called whatever you like!

He's TOTALLY pretentious. Egotistical. VAIN.

• Like 1

Interesting choices, particularly liked the New Radicals pick.....that was a masterpiece, surprised that he didnt choose Bob's Every Grain of Sand, as Ive heard/read him wax lyrical about that Bob Classic.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, The Chicken Man said:

Interesting choices, particularly liked the New Radicals pick.....that was a masterpiece, surprised that he didnt choose Bob's Every Grain of Sand, as Ive heard/read him wax lyrical about that Bob Classic.

Emmylou Harris did an excellent version of this on her Wrecking Ball album, which I think Larry Mullen, U2's drummer, played on.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Well, Bruce paid the cost to be the Boss! :D

10 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Yeah but some (if not all for many) of those tags could be pinned on the vast majority of rock & pop stars since the genre started - it's part of the credentials required for the job...……..those that aren't are the rare exception (not many of those things could be said of the late great Rory Gallagher for example) and our man isn't one of the exceptions either - definitely egotistical, definitely vain (that hair dye) and certainly capable of being pretentious at times.

As I said in earlier post Bono can certainly make me cringe at times (big time), and he may be more guilty of these tags applying to him in a bigger way than most - but - he's not alone and I can forgive him his sins for the work/art he and his band have given us. I think the people who hate Bono with a passion actually don't particularly like U2 or their music either, and that then is a whole different situation! (and there are people out there who feel that way about Bruce / his music and therefore cannot forgive him his failings, whereas those of us who love his music can overcome it all, including the "in some fashion" ramblings).

• Like 4
16 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Irrelevant.......in terms of the music he has created, and this rather exceptional list of songs.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

Interesting choices, particularly liked the New Radicals pick.....that was a masterpiece, 

I love it. It fills me with joy in about half a second when it starts playing. 

16 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

Considering being egotistical & VAIN is a pre-requisite of most "Rock Stars", what's your point? Some wear it on their sleeves and are open about it, others simply hide it from the public and act like it in private.

"Shut the fuck up. Your money's at the door"

"Let me be clear. I'm not playing that motherfucker tonight. This aint no greatest hits show"

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, mariasbed said:

Same thing with Sting.

Personally I'm glad they're not called by their real names professionally, wouldn't have the bite nor the roll.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Personally I'm glad they're not called by their real names professionally, wouldn't have the bite nor the roll.  

If I ever meet David Evans I am going to ask if I should call him "The" or "Mr. Edge".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1