Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Bono names his top 60 songs that saved his life. There's one Springsteen song on the list. Can you guess which one?


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

There is no denying that a sense of the preposterous drifts around Bono like dry ice. But the interesting question is: so what? Put “preposterous” in a sentence with “front man of massive stadium rock band that has sold 175 million records” and it becomes a tautology. Is Mick Jagger not preposterous? Is Lady Gaga modest? If Elton John sat in jeans and jumper at his grand piano, would he fill stadiums and sell records? Bono exists in an economy whose currency is hyperinflation, a culture whose language is exaggeration, a logic whose reason is absurdity.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Troublette said:

Hah, I didn't even know his real name!

and born in Essex, England - and Adam Clayton born in Oxfordshire, England - both their families moved to Dublin area when they were young (Clayton 5). The Edge was born to Welsh parents (Evans quite a common surname in Wales). Bono (Paul Hewson) was born in Dublin as was Larry Mullen Jr (who of course founded the band that would become U2). Like 3 parts of The Who they met at school - something I've always thought was kinda neat! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JudgeBrown said:

There is no denying that a sense of the preposterous drifts around Bono like dry ice. But the interesting question is: so what? Put “preposterous” in a sentence with “front man of massive stadium rock band that has sold 175 million records” and it becomes a tautology. Is Mick Jagger not preposterous? Is Lady Gaga modest? If Elton John sat in jeans and jumper at his grand piano, would he fill stadiums and sell records? Bono exists in an economy whose currency is hyperinflation, a culture whose language is exaggeration, a logic whose reason is absurdity.

Kills me how vain and arrogant Bono is according to some Bruce fans, yet any mention of Bruce's huge ego falls by the wayside.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Kills me how vain and arrogant Bono is according to some Bruce fans, yet any mention of Bruce's huge ego falls by the wayside.  

I can't remember where exactly, maybe the Hall of Fame acceptance speech, where Bruce commented on the arrogance or ego it takes to get up and shake your ass in front of 50,000 fans.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, gus said:

Bruce deserves a big ego. Anyone that can write and perform what he does is allowed.

dude what are you, his personal chrome shiner??... for the love of GOD! The saccharin is dripping off you like water from a leaky faucet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce has admitted to narcicism. I think all performers of any kind have some of that or they couldn't do what they do. What I like about Bruce's variety is his self-deprecating attitude which makes it bearable.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I "deserve" a big ego too - I'm virtually downright bloody perfect.  

I always told my husband I was practically perfect and he'd give me this look. I found out when I made him go see Mary Poppins Returns he never saw the first one as a kid so it always went over his head.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a perfect  world every rock star would be like Bob Dylan. A unpretentious genious minding his own business, writing songs and performing without making a lot of fuss about it. But this is not a perfect world so we are stuck with a bunch of somewhat talented put pretentious guys like Bruce, Bono or Sting that thinks the world revolves them and the art they are creating.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

intetesting read 

id rather read about him than hear him

getting back to the list in the OP 

where was he is 78 ?

i don't beleave 60 songs and not one of them prove it all night 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You just have to read Bruce's autobiography to get a sense of his ego. He knew from very early on in his career that he was not the best guitarist or singer, but that he was a born showman and that he had an incredible talent for songwriting and so he set out to be the very best he could be in that sphere. He worked damn hard at his musicianship and singing as his career progressed and so improved hugely with that as the years went on.

Practically all rock stars have huge egos and are full of themselves. To even want to do what they do you have to have that in you. Dylan is an exception in that he is practically a recluse, and despite almost constantly touring he clearly does not enjoy adulation from fans in the same way that the likes of Bruce, McCartney, Bono, Elton John, Sting, and a whole host of others do. Bono's big problem is that he is so in your face with his ego that it irritates many people, and he is far too political for many. U2 as a band went far to far down that road for me. They were a brilliant rock band in their day and I have been lucky enough to have seen them many times at their best over the years, but in my opinion they should have just brought it all to an end some time ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Kills me how vain and arrogant Bono is according to some Bruce fans, yet any mention of Bruce's huge ego falls by the wayside.  

Yeah - and another redeeming factor in the guys defence - everyone knows that he's the guy that carries around his book of words etc and is the main lyricist for the band (not the sole one, but certainly the main one) and will compose whole songs on his own a lot of the time (like Pete Townshend will) and then present them to the band who will come up with their input etc and they will work on things as a collective - but I think I'm fairly sure in saying that U2 have a 4 way royalty split / earning from their records (and obviously their tours). I have seen Chris Martin of Coldplay (who let's face it is the Bono figure in that band and their writings) say on camera that they took their lead from U2 and have the same arrangement (on royalties) in their band set up because (as he put it) most bands/acts that split up usually do so as a result of arguing over money! No arrogance on Bono's part there then!!?  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2020 at 8:11 PM, JustDan said:

dude what are you, his personal chrome shiner??... for the love of GOD! The saccharin is dripping off you like water from a leaky faucet.

Gus is actually Bruce. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Yeah - and another redeeming factor in the guys defence - everyone knows that he's the guy that carries around his book of words etc and is the main lyricist for the band (not the sole one, but certainly the main one) and will compose whole songs on his own a lot of the time (like Pete Townshend will) and then present them to the band who will come up with their input etc and they will work on things as a collective - but I think I'm fairly sure in saying that U2 have a 4 way royalty split / earning from their records (and obviously their tours). I have seen Chris Martin of Coldplay (who let's face it is the Bono figure in that band and their writings) say on camera that they took their lead from U2 and have the same arrangement (on royalties) in their band set up because (as he put it) most bands/acts that split up usually do so as a result of arguing over money! No arrogance on Bono's part there then!!?  

I love learning nuggets of rock n' roll, had no idea that royalties are split four ways between the members - now that is leveling the playing field, I can dig it.  

Kudos to Coldplay for that too, I just don't wanna hear them all that often coz some of their tunes can really grate on me nerves.  Not Fix You and The Scientist though, brilliant songs.  

Melissa Etheridge just played Fix You with her daughter for lockdown day - sad to even say her name right now with what she must be going through.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...