Greasy Lake Community

Nils is fighting the good fight

Read this earlier and started wishing someone here in Canada would do something similar, just disgusting what's happened during this pandemic to long term care homes - can't even imagine having a loved one in there.  When they were under public health they didn't have such large problems, but start going private and underpaying your nursing aides and look what happens.   That's when they started plummeting here anyway, once they went for profit. 

A disgrace throughout. 

Somethin' else that gets me goat 'bout this - funny how during a pandemic governments rush to pay the long term care home workers' up to three or four more dollars an hour but somehow they can't be paid that for the work they do every other day they go to work?

If they were paid a decent wage to begin with, people like Nils and I'm sure countless others wouldn't have to sue their asses. 

• Like 3

That’s terrible. So glad the facility my parents lived in didn’t have problems like that. But I can’t imagine what it’s like in any retirement facility with this virus spreading everywhere. Just read an article the other day about where my dad lived his final days. Of the 200some senior residents, I think 38 have tested positive and 10 have died. Plus 29 of the staff have tested positive. The fear and stress for those folks and families must be immense.

• Sad 3

good luck to you Nils

this is something that needs to be out in the open in a major way all over the world

almost all NZ's covid 19 death toll is from aged care facilities

it is indeed every child's worst nightmaire

one place in Christchurch that have had covid fatalities my sister had looked at for mum ...but as she was touring the facility a nurse whispered in her ear "you can do better than here for your mother"

my heart goes out to Amy and their family and of course her mom and the other sick residents

there needs to be major accountability

i think back to when my grandma was in the care of the nuns - when aged care was about compassion and love and providing dignity  and not all aboutmoney and returns to shareholders and profit and turnover 

6 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Somethin' else that gets me goat 'bout this - funny how during a pandemic governments rush to pay the long term care home workers' up to three or four more dollars an hour but somehow they can't be paid that for the work they do every other day they go to work?

If they were paid a decent wage to begin with, people like Nils and I'm sure countless others wouldn't have to sue their asses. 

In 2017, 313 conservative MPs voted against giving nurses a pay rise.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mps-who-voted-against-full-21866381

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I know you guys have the NHS, what about the LTC homes there tho, are they private too?  

yes the are private, our local council has been selling their own places for redevelopment for quite a few years

Well here it looks like they're looking at a "major overhaul" for long term care homes, I'm sure most countries have had to say the same.

I've got a proposed solution, if here for example there was much better home care resources for people they could keep a lot of older folks at home longer.  But no, they cut and cut and gut that too.  

• Like 1