Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

Western Stars on Hbo

On 5/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, Jertucky said:

Stumbled upon it just as it started. I think the songs still stink and he looks pretty disinterested in the songs he’s playing.

You and I agree a lot on these last few years of Bruce. When this album first came out, I hated it. I thought Bruce was kinda winking at us. 

Then went to see the film one Sunday afternoon, me and another family (3). What you are calling disinterested, I call intense. The film made the music more real in lieu of winking at us. I agree with Bruce that Patti's part in the film should have been on the original album. 

That said, still my least favorite album. But I now i can stand to listen after the film. 

• Like 1

Although I'm not a fan of Western Stars, the songs sounded better to me in the theater.  I happened across it yesterday on HBO, listened to half a song and changed the channel.  Sorry, still not a fan of WS on the whole.  I can maybe enjoy a song or two but that's it.  I also still don't see how people can compare this to BTR or Darkness.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You and I agree a lot on these last few years of Bruce. When this album first came out, I hated it. I thought Bruce was kinda winking at us. 

Then went to see the film one Sunday afternoon, me and another family (3). What you are calling disinterested, I call intense. The film made the music more real in lieu of winking at us. I agree with Bruce that Patti's part in the film should have been on the original album. 

That said, still my least favorite album. But I now i can stand to listen after the film. 

I’m glad it turned around for you.
He just looked so flat in the part I saw. Like he knew this was not good but he put it out there so he had to do something with it. I actually thought the live version was worse than the recorded version because it still didn’t feel like authentic Bruce and that’s not like him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

I’m glad it turned around for you.
He just looked so flat in the part I saw. Like he knew this was not good but he put it out there so he had to do something with it. I actually thought the live version was worse than the recorded version because it still didn’t feel like authentic Bruce and that’s not like him.

I'm sure it was just me ....But it almost didnt feel live to me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Certainly wasn’t just you. 

• Like 2

Well I got through it. I'm not a fan of Western Stars. I really didn't want to see this as much as I wanted to have seen it. Towards the end I started to think of Rattle And Hum and how U2 took so much criticism for that movie having an air of self-importance and pretentiousness. Yeah, I just spontaneously thought of that. Maybe it was Bruce's wise sage pontificating and reverent oh so serious close ups of his face. Seemed a bit heavy handed.

No disrespect intended to all of you who loved it. I've still got the first four albums for solace.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I'm of the opinion the vocals were studio dubbed.

sometime thinking less is better for enjoyment 

i just can't fall down the dark holes really listening and paying attentions to Western stars would take me - but the live album and film  is just so kind of dreamy and has such lovelly music its a completly diffetent Bruce Springsteen experience for me to usual 

On 5/21/2020 at 10:03 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

sometime thinking less is better for enjoyment 

i just can't fall down the dark holes really listening and paying attentions to Western stars would take me - but the live album and film  is just so kind of dreamy and has such lovelly music its a completly diffetent Bruce Springsteen experience for me to usual 

I have to admit the strings are gorgeous ....

• Like 4