Greasy Lake Community

Yeah seems a different world alright. What a lineup over those two shows. And every person in Kilkenny was there for the one reason. It really was a Bruce community gathering. Great memories 

4 hours ago, Silvia said:

I hope we get this show soon. 

I agree.

This song has always been a favorite for me. Its a toss up as to which released version is the best...

To me it represents so much, hope for a future, loss for what is lost and will never return. Mourning the state of the world how even though our best efforts fail. We are here and we endure. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Buddhabone said:

I agree.

This song has always been a favorite for me. Its a toss up as to which released version is the best...

To me it represents so much, hope for a future, loss for what is lost and will never return. Mourning the state of the world how even though our best efforts fail. We are here and we endure. 

It's a standstill song for me, a perfect song, as you say, for those in-between situations, when you aren't exactly sure if what happened in the past was any good, and uncertain about the future ... Then this song comes and feels like a hug of a good friend and pushes you forward. ...

I love the rural scenery, and as always with Springsteen, when he sings about the wind... I can feel it...

• Like 2

A few words I've written about this performance and this concert:

“This Hard Land”: July 28th, 2013 – Kilkenny, IE
As of this moment this is the only song I’ve included in this series that hasn’t been officially released on CD or been made available through download. That being said, seeing as this is available to watch on Springsteen’s official YouTube channel, I think an exception can be made given just how great this is (so apologies if you were expecting a write-up about the version from Belfast 1996). It’s up there with the most emotional of Bruce’s entire career, from the jubilant, “I’ve been doing this fifty years… I’ve got another fifty in me!” to the poignant, “the older you get, the more it means“. It’s the final song, at that time, of a tour that many fans never expected to happen. A revival of The E Street Band following a big loss. What I’ve found most spectacular about this for the near six years I’ve been listening to it, is the way Bruce sings and plays it. Seriously, listen to this and then compare it to one of the versions from 2016. Bruce, after playing three hours plus – and an entire tour – sounds as refreshed and is playing as perfectly as he did at the start of the night. When I listen to this after hearing him state “I feel like I’m just getting started!“, I don’t think he was just saying that to get a big reaction from the intimate Kilkenny audience, I genuinely think he believed every word.

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/03/06/the-definitive-version-of-every-song-from-springsteens-archive-series-part-4/

“The older you get, the more it means”

As the twilight years of Bruce Springsteen’s career are now in motion, the words above that he spoke before a perfect acoustic performance of “This Hard Land” ring more and more true as each day passes. The performance brought to a close the year and a half long revival of The E Street Band and their Wrecking Ball World Tour, with the show as a whole serving as a celebration of the tour, of the dedication and hard work shown from the band and the fans that had travelled all over the world to attend the shows, and a celebration of life, of those who were there, and those who have left us. Bruce made it very clear during the tour: “If you’re here, and we’re here, then they’re here.”

Read more here... https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/04/16/retro-show-review-springsteen-in-kilkenny-ireland-july-28th-2013/

• Like 2

thanks for posting the link to your review of the show. I think a lot about that week, Belfast the previous Saturday in a heatwave before heading down to Kilkenny for the Wrecking Ball weekender. There will be shows and tours in the future, pretty sure of that, even in these crazy times I hold onto that hope. There have been great shows since 2013 as well obviously. But I don’t think the spirit of Kilkenny can be recaptured. 

I hope I am wrong about that. But if I’m not that’s ok too. 

2 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

Agree - I've loved this song since the first time hearing it on The Greatest Hits CD in 95. I'm not sure which version is my favorite, but this is special with the spoken words beforehand. 

4 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

Yeah we had the heat on full blast that day 

and not a pellet in sight......

Pretty sure when this was first posted on You Tube there was a thread for it where @newcastle roycoined the 'Damn flies in my eyes' expression which has become popular around here for excusing and explaining away what others may assume to be tears when listening to particularly emotional Bruce music...

Great moment and fantastic intro.

But to be honest - and as a fan whose nickname is lifted from this very song, and someone who has always preferred acoustic stuff - this version is a little too slow for my taste.