Greasy Lake Community

It is 40 years ago tonight that Ian Curtis killed himself.

I wonder what he would be like if he hadn't taken that horrible step ?

The Joy Division records are still some of my all time favourites....sadly I never saw them live.

• Sad 1

I saw them live supporting the Buzzcocks, what 78 or 79.

I guess I was too young to get what they were about, it was too weird for me in them days.

I've grown to like their stuff retrospectively, never really "got" New Order though.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, robk1 said:

I read Touching from a Distance and the impression I got was that he was almost beyond saving. His epilepsy and drug taking were getting worse, and he was chronically depressed. It must have been bad to leave a child behind like that.

9 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I've grown to like their stuff retrospectively, never really "got" New Order though.

JOy Division were incredible. You were very lucky to have seen them. New Order I guess was cathartic, they could not reproduce the genius of JD without Ian Curtis. I think they came to terms with it and I was supposed to see Peter Hook and the Light this year , and hes been doing Joy Division records for a while now live.

20 hours ago, robk1 said:

I read Touching from a Distance and the impression I got was that he was almost beyond saving. His epilepsy and drug taking were getting worse, and he was chronically depressed. It must have been bad to leave a child behind like that.

• Love Love Love! 1
On 5/18/2020 at 4:45 AM, MagicRatAFC said:

I saw them live supporting the Buzzcocks, what 78 or 79.

I guess I was too young to get what they were about, it was too weird for me in them days.

Saw them on that same tour - Edinburgh Odeon, and have only vague memories of them. Suspect I was off my face. Do remember Ian Curtis’s angular dancing alone at the mike stand and thinking they were very different to what I was listening to/seeing at that point.
Thinking of treating myself to the forthcoming 3 x 12” 45’s if finances permit.

• Like 2