incident 

Matamoros banks 

across the boarder 

stolen car

wreck on the highway 

bugga that's 10 already 

maybe i could sub out backstreets :o for the wall 

• Like 1

Very difficult to first of all determine what exactly is deemed to be a "ballad", and secondly to establish a top 10 of such songs from Bruce Springsteen's immense back catalogue of material. I can't do a top 10 i'm afraid....apart from saying that for me any top 10 Springsteen ballads would absolutely have to contain The River and Independence Day in it. Both these songs would not only easily be in his top 10 of what could conceivably be described as ballads,  but for me are in his top 10 songs of any kind he has written.

• Like 1

Interesting to consider (perhaps) that although we associate a ballad today with a slower number, the traditional definition would contain repetition, verses, narrative form, dialogue and almost always third person narration. The latter feature would discount several of those listed above - although there are plenty of others in the canon who do fit...

• Like 1

OK, arguments about ballads/slow(er) songs set aside, here's mine.

The River

4th July Asbury Park (Sandy)

Incident On 57th Street

Jungleland

Racing In The Street

Fade Away

If I Should Fall Behind

Across The Border

Kingdom Of Days

Western Stars

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
57 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

OK, arguments about ballads/slow(er) songs set aside, here's mine.

The River

4th July Asbury Park (Sandy)

Incident On 57th Street

Jungleland

Racing In The Street

Fade Away

If I Should Fall Behind

Across The Border

Kingdom Of Days

Western Stars

oh shit !

how could i leave out Sandy :o

nice call on kingdom of days 

• Like 1

Top 10 Springsteen ballads, in 10 minutes? Maybe you should not think to long about this? (In the end longer than 10 minutes).

Made it easier for myself by deciding that (Rule 1) songs like Thunder Road, Backstreets, Jungleland, Incident On 57th Street, The River, The Price You Pay, and others, are not ballads but 'mid-tempo songs'; that (Rule 2) New York City Serenade is not a ballad but an epic (just like Backstreets, Jungleland and Incident On 57th Street; but they already left with Rule 1); and (Rule 3) only 1 song from the same album (victims: Independence Day, Wreck On The Highway, Youngstown, Across The Border, Magic, Paradise, Walk Like A Man). And is State Trooper, my favourite Nebraska song, a ballad?

Racing In The Street; The Promise; Point Blank; No Surrender from Live 1975/85; Two Faces; My Beautiful Reward; The Ghost Of Tom Joad; Missing; My City Of Ruins; Devils Arcade.

Edit: should add The Promise is -of course- the still unreleased original, 'slow' version, famous from bootlegs; not the version from The Promise album, which also could qualify as 'mid-tempo'. (That it is not the 18 Tracks version, does not need any explanation).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lampi said:

Top 10 Springsteen ballads, in 10 minutes? Maybe you should not think to long about this? (In the end longer than 10 minutes).

Made it easier for myself by deciding that (Rule 1) songs like Thunder Road, Backstreets, Jungleland, Incident On 57th Street, The River, The Price You Pay, and others, are not ballads but 'mid-tempo songs'; that (Rule 2) New York City Serenade is not a ballad but an epic (just like Backstreets, Jungleland and Incident On 57th Street; but they already left with Rule 1); and (Rule 3) only 1 song from the same album (victims: Independence Day, Wreck On The Highway, Youngstown, Across The Border, Magic, Paradise, Walk Like A Man). And is State Trooper, my favourite Nebraska song, a ballad?

Racing In The Street; The Promise; Point Blank; No Surrender from Live 1975/85; Two Faces; My Beautiful Reward; The Ghost Of Tom Joad; Missing; My City Of Ruins; Devils Arcade.

Edit: should add The Promise is -of course- the still unreleased original, 'slow' version, famous from bootlegs; not the version from The Promise album, which also could qualify as 'mid-tempo'. (That it is not the 18 Tracks version, does not need any explanation).

dang ! 

forgot devil's arcade 

nice call with Youngstown 

1st place goes to "...Way out in front......... The Way.

2nd Racing

3rd Walk like a man

4th if I should fall behind

5th Tougher than the rest

6th I wish I was blind

7th Meeting across the river

8th The Promise

9th Jack of all trade - suburban ballad?

10th May be a little twee, but when I was younger it hit a soft spot....I wanna marry you.

Compiled using Lampi’s rule 1 and 2 Policy but not rule three. - when it suited.

• Like 1

1. Secret Garden

2. Thunder Road

3. I’m on Fire

4. Drive All Night

5. Western Stars

6. If I Should Fall Behind

7. One Step Up

8. Back in Your Arms

9. Sandy

10. Racing in the Street

• Like 4

1. County Fair
2. Cautious Man
3. Sandy (4th of July)
4. Moonlight Motel
5. My Hometown
6. Jack of all Trades
7. You're Missing
8. Highway Patrolman
9. Back in Your Arms
10 Across the Border

In no particular order. I see I avoided the big songs, The River (which would be no. 1), Tougher etc.

Technically a ballad is a song that tells a story! We always think of them as slower love song types. But truly if a ballad is just a song that tells a story. 

1. Adam Raised a Cain

2. Roulette........

:lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Technically a ballad is a song that tells a story! We always think of them as slower love song types. But truly if a ballad is just a song that tells a story. 

1. Adam Raised a Cain

2. Roulette........

:lol::lol::lol:

by that reasoning BITUSA would be a ballad :lol:

mind you if you hear some of the crap they play on the radio anything is possible

My Top 15

01. The Promise

02. Racing In The Street

03. The River

04. Stolen Car

05. Valentine's Day

06. Paradise

07. Meeting Across The River

08. Shut Out The Light

09. Across The Border

10. You 're Missing

11. Independence Day

12. My Father's House

13. Sandy

14. Highway Patrolman

15. Jack Of All Trades

• Like 1

OK all seriousness now. 

1. Drive All Night

2. The River

3. Wreck on the Highway

4. Meeting Across the River

5. Point Blank

6. I Day

7. My Fathers House

8. My Beautiful Reward

9. The Wall

10. Hearts of Stone 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

For You, Hammersmith Odeon 75

then daylight

what is daylight ?

im kinda imanging a real long for you then its day brake :lol: but i dont think that's what you mean :lol: because this set has a time limit