Greasy Lake Community

5 artists/concerts you were truly blessed to have seen.

Here’s mine:

1. Roy Orbison - Carlisle, mid sixties.

2. Ray Charles - London Palladium - 1976.

3. Muddy Waters, (Eric Clapton dropped in to jam) - Dingwalls, London, capacity 400. 1978.

4. Bruce - Manchester Apollo, May 1981. (The first of many).

5. Peter Green Tribute Concert with Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Billy Gibbons, Bill Wyman, Dave Gilmour, John Mayall, Steve Tyler, Pete Townshend, Kirk Hammett and others. London Palladium less than 3 months ago, seems like a lifetime.

And 5 that for whatever reason, didn’t quite happen and you bitterly regret not seeing:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughn.

2. Jason Isbell - I will put that right

3. Lucinda Williams - as above.

4. Warren Zevon

5. The big one - despite living and working in London November, 1975,  not making it to London W6 9QH.

Over to you........

• Like 8
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1- Bruce Springsteen & the E St. Band - 8/15/78 Capital Centre, Landover, MD 2- WINGS Over America - 5/16/76 Capital Centre, Landover, MD 3- Led Zeppelin - 2/10/75 Capital Centre, Landov

If I exclude Bruce, then in order of seeing the shows it would be: Small Faces, Birmingham Odeon in 1967 (Roy Orbison was in the same bill, but I went to swoon over Steve Marriott - my first ever

Here’s mine: 1. Roy Orbison - Carlisle, mid sixties. 2. Ray Charles - London Palladium - 1976. 3. Muddy Waters, (Eric Clapton dropped in to jam) - Dingwalls, London, capacity 400. 1978.

Posted Images

Good Topic-mine are not best concerts, but memorable experiences. 

Bruce- 9/1/1985-Concert was rained out form original date. Rescheduled, which then made it the last show at Giant Stadium of the BITUSA tour. So we got two tailgates out of the one show. tenth row center on the floor. Went with about 40 of my best friends and family. Still the best musical "event" I've ever attended. From the waiting on line for 24 hours for tickets, to the tails gates, to the show. Unreal experience we ALL still talk about.  

Frank Sinatra-I Lived in Albany NY during College. They built the at the time Knickerbocker Arena downtown. I believe its called the Times union Arena now. They opened the Arena with Sinatra. Obviously the later part of his life and career. Everyone was duded up like a black tie event. Big grand opening. Sinatra was slightly tipsy for sure. Its was a great event with a true legend. In terms of concert, it was ok. But the circumstances were tremendous. 

Billy Joel Questions and Answers-Held at West Point NY. Billy has done these seminar style questions and answer sessions over the years. Really enjoyable experience to hear insight into writing and his processes. Allowed many audience members on stage to perform with him. Funny, personable guy. To see that close an interactions between audience a legend of his ilk was really a great experience. 

U2- Meadowlands Arena- Twice on their run for the Joshua Tree. 7th row and tenth row. Again a great gang of people. A few got pulled on stage with a banner while they sang Gloria. The Joshua Tree was and epic album of my later HS years, the buzz of those shows was crazy. 

The Stones-Giant Stadium- I was working at a radio station and was in charge of bringing a group of listeners on a party bus. Its the Stones for god sake. Nuff said.

Those that haven't and or wont:

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Aretha Franklin, The Cure (for my wifes sake)

• Like 4

I was at that Manchester Apollo concert with you ! Met Bruce that afternoon

My 5...

Clash supported by Suicide and Specials !! Manchester Apollo .About 82

Christy Moore at a nightclub/disco near Galway. We were just passing through and saw the poster. We were already big fans but seeing him in Eire was very special.About 85

Whyte Horses at RNCM this January. Magical show. They should be huge.

Peter Perrett at some little club in Manchester. Had never managed to catch the Only Ones... thought he'd die before he toured again .He was on oxygen between songs. Sang Abba's Does Your Mother Know.About 95

The Lurkers..some pub in Fulham...78. My fave second wave punk band.

• Like 5

1. 8/20/84, Bruce at the Brendan Byrne Barn Arena. Last night of the famous 10-night stand, Steve and the Miami Horns show up, and that fabulous Drift Away.

2. 7/3, 4, 6/85, Bruce at Wembley. 80,000 people all GA, yet it worked. Fabulous crowds, I met some great people each night, managing to get to the same spot each night - 20-25 "rows" in front of the stage, so I could tape. The best Twist & Shout encores I ever experienced, Street Fightin' Man the final night, and that lovely acoustic Independence Day to open the 4 July show

3. 3/39/90, Grateful Dead at Nassau Coliseum. This was the night that Branford Marsalis first sat in with the Dead. He wasn't familiar with their music, but the joy that he and they displayed that night was magic. I happened to run into Jerry Garcia on a dive boat in Kona 5-6 weeks later, and I got to ask him about that night. I said, "It looked like you all were having a really good time up there." Jerry just smiled that Cheshire Cat grin of his, got a far-away look in his eyes, and replied, "Yeah, we were." For a guy who famously had good nights and bad ones, the joy he had that night, and the ability to transport back to it, was special.

4. 10/21/86, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Broadway Theater. First of 5 nights, just a non-stop, high energy show. A smidge better than the final night, the first spinning songbook show.

5. (tie) 8/31/03, Bruce GS 10 - 10/4/03, Bruce @ Shea The Last Dance. 8/31 opened with Cynthia, never done before, and closed with a Jersey Girl that had everyone in tears, end of the summer in the parking lot. Shea was the tour closer, last of three shows in 4 nights there, with Back in Your Arms and I Wish I were Blind, plus Dylan and Highway 61 - but it was the Blood Brothers to close that broke us all to pieces.

• Like 4

Haven't included Bruce, he's in a different category.

These were all small venues.

The Who -  Glasgow Greens Playhouse 1970 ( I was 4 years underage but got in, the loudest show still I've ever seen. Tommy played in full)

Billy Joel -  Usher Hall Edinburgh 1979 (front row 52nd St album))

Dire Straits -  Odeon Edinburgh 1979 (Communique album)

Joe Jackson -  Tiffanys Edinburgh 1979 (Fabulous Thunderbirds support)

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -  Playhouse Edinburgh 1982 (Paul Young was support)

runners up, Elton John 1978, Al Stewart 1978, Meatloaf 1982, Men At Work 1983 plus quite a few in mainland Europe that have been in great venues.

• Like 6

1. Bruce 8/23/08 - Unbelievable show all the cool people were there. 

2. U2 360 tour - 7/17/11 Busch Stadium- First show where the stage itself became part of the show. 

3. Garth Brooks -3/9/19 Dome of America- never stopped smiling the whole show.

4. Rush - 2/12/80 - Checkerdome St. Louis- Opened the show with the whole of 2112. 

5. Black and Blue Tour 9/30/80 - Black Sabbath/with Ronnie James Dio, Blue Oyster Cult. BOC opened the night with an 1 1/2 set of greatest. Didn't really know what to expect from Black Sabbath, but Dio was better than Ozzy i believe. 

My closed minded view of music kept me away from 

1. The Clash 2. The Replacements 3. The Ramones 4. 

• Like 3

The Late Great Townes Van Zandt, while he was still great. And two times; in 1990 and a few years later (1992 or 1993, I think 1993). Both times in Nijmegen in very small clubs and both times he played very long. And alone-a man with only voice and guitar and everyone silent, listening in awe to a living legend. And he played all his 'hits'...err... all his 'classics'. And sometimes he told a joke (one of his habits during live shows).

The Feelies! On a Friday night, 1 July 1988, only two days after my first Bruce Springsteen & The ESB show in Rotterdam, 29 June 1988. Also in Nijmegen, in the legendary Doornroosje club.

Big Star in Utrecht, 2006.

R.E.M., Pinkpop 1989. Michael Stipe in a complete white suit (but without a tie). They closed the festival -which was still only 1 day then- and there was some talk about fans if they should have played a festival set instead of a more regular (but shortened) Green Tour show with some songs that are fans favourites but maybe not exactly songs to play at a headlining show at a festival. I also got tickets for the Monster Tour, but that show was cancelled, this was the only time I saw a show of what is probably my favourite band of all time. (Also that day, among others: Elvis Costello (solo), John Hiatt, Jeff Healey and The Pixies. Not bad!)

Tom Waits in Amsterdam, 2004. He did not tour that much post-80s and I had given up hope to see him live; but then the miracle came true.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

I've never seen some of my favourites, for various reasons : The Pretenders, Tom Waits, Tom Petty, ACDC, ... And I would have loved to see a Stax revue in the 60s, ifI had been born fifteen years before. That was probably incredible : Booker T and the MGs backing five or six Stax artists (you name them, it's a long wonderful list)... !!!! 

And to answer Brown Eyed Boy's question :

1. Obviously, I feel lucky I've seen a good number of Bruce shows. Some are definitely in my life's top 10 moments.

2. Dylan. One particular fan from England used to say "If you were living at the same time as Shakespeare, wouldn't you like to see him perform as many times as possible ?". Says it all.

3. A Van Morrison / Bob Dylan in Paris in 1998. Van Morrison doesn't come to France very often. I had seen him once in England before, so when that show was announced, it truly was a blessing.

4. In 1992, Willy DeVille (another one of my late heroes) put together a "New Orleans Revue" to tour European festivals. That was a brilliant night : the only time I saw the great late Dr John on a stage + Cajun artist Zachary Richard + The Wild Magnolias + Willy himself. Incredible.

5. The Georgia Satellites. I LOVED them, but they never came to my country. I caught them twice in England in1990, and every second of the shows was worth the wait.

• Like 5

Not going to include Bruce as seeing him live transcends everything else and I have been lucky to have seen him 24 times. Here are the rest;

1/ Rolling Stones; Edinburgh Playhouse May 1982. Biggest band in the world and I saw them in a 3000 seater theatre just up the road from where I lived at the time. I was 17 and had just left school. I am not even that big a Stones fan and to be honest it wasn't that great a gig (always thought they were way overrated live), but just to see such a legendary band in a smallish local theatre was quite something.

2/ U2; Edinburgh Playhouse November 1984; Bit of a story here. Was on holiday when tickets went on sale so missed out. Went up on the night with my brother and we went to the stage door to listen in. Fire escape door was unlocked so we went up the stairs and ended up in stalls near the stage. Nobody spotted or challenged us so we got to see the show free.

3/ Bob Dylan; Newcastle St James Park 1984; Travelled down on my own. Got to the ground. Really warm, sunny day. Enjoyed Lindisfarne, bored rigid with Santana. Bob and his band including Mick Taylor came on at about 8.30. He was in great voice, played the classics faithfully. Not a massive Dylan fan but so glad I got to see a living legend when he was still a great performer and his voice was still there. Saw him again many years later at the Edinburgh Playhouse and it was terrible.

4/ David Bowie; Ingliston Exhibition Centre; 1990; Sound and Vision tour. I am a Bowie fan but hot hugely. Just to see the guy in concert playing his classics was an awesome experience. So glad I got to see an all time legend in concert.

5/ Michael Jackson; Wembley Stadium; 1997. History Tour. Michael's last ever world tour. Managed to get a ticket and saw the legend in concert, something I am very happy to say I experienced. It was awesome.

Only artists I missed out on seeing that I would love to have seen were The Beatles (though I saw McCartney at Earls Court in the early 90's), Led Zeppelin (saw Robert solo and Jimmy with The Firm in concert), Prince (not a big fan of his music but would love to have seen him live), and The Who.

• Like 6

This is too difficult to keep down to five, but here are a few thoughts:

Harry Chapin – 12&13 February 1981: The real significance of these shows only became apparent when Harry died in July 1981. I’m so pleased that I got the chance to see him whilst I could. Still one of my favourite artists.

Simon & Garfunkel – 19 June 1982 & 14 July 2004: Rare post break-up UK performances from my earliest idols.

Rick Nelson, Bo Diddly, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee & Frankie Ford – 9 November 1985: Looking back on it, this was quite a bill that toured the UK in late 1985. Within weeks Rick Nelson was dead, followed by Del Shannon a little over four years later.

Fairground Attraction – 18 April 1989: Fairground Attraction burst on the scene like a breath of fresh air. They only lasted one album and this may have been their only major UK tour as headliners so I’m please I got to see them. (A similar case could be made for Danny Wilson on 7 October 1989)

Crowded House - 9 July 1992: Neil Finn and the boys at the peak of their success on a tour with Tim Finn as support act and guest on the Woodface songs. This show was recorded by the BBC for partial broadcast as ‘Radio 1 In Concert’. To me, they were never this good again, especially in later years without Paul Hester.

Paul McCartney – 28 June 1990: The end of Paul’s huge World Tour on the banks of the Mersey in Liverpool. The debut of Give Peace A Chance as part of a medley with Strawberry Fields and Help!

Brian Wilson – 6 March 2004: One of the earliest performances of the legendary Smile! When this tour was announced I just had to see it and this Newcastle gig was the most convenient.

Bruce Springsteen – 8 November 2009: When the opportunity presented itself to go to two shows in New York I grabbed it knowing that I would regret it if I didn’t. That regret would have been so much bitterer once it was announced that he would be playing WIESS and The River. At the time it was envisaged that this would be a one off performance of The River, and whilst the 2016 performances may have been more polished, this one had the original sax player.

The Seekers – 18 May 2014: To my knowledge the only major 60s band to have toured with the original line up in recent times. A big thrill to have the chance to see them live on their farewell tour.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, JustDan said:

1- Bruce Springsteen & the E St. Band - 8/15/78 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

2- WINGS Over America - 5/16/76 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

3- Led Zeppelin - 2/10/75 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

4- Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg - 4/20/76  Landover, MD

5- The Who - 10/9/76 (Keith Moon's final tour) Landover, MD

This is very strong

1 minute ago, THUE said:

This is very strong

1- Bruce Springsteen & the E St. Band - 8/15/78 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

2- WINGS Over America - 5/16/76 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

4- Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, Dan Fogelberg - 4/20/76  Landover, MD Prince & The Revolution, 11/26/84 Capital Centre, Landover, MD

5- The Who - 10/9/76 (Keith Moon's final tour) Landover, MD

Thanks...I was very blessed in the 70s :)

Ill reverse this with a show I saw and wish I hadn't. BB King a few years back. A bucket list thing and had some expectation that he was obviously an older version of what he once was. However It was a truly embarrassing and unfortunate event. I watched a very old legend get rolled out onto the stage for an hour and mail it in. A real shame. 

Well .... As much as i'd like to play ..... I don't have a fascinating resume ....3 WOULD i guess be Bruce shows ....( 12-31-80, 11-08-09 and 5-18-14 ) ... and i guess for the other two i'd go with Keith Richards 5th row at the beacon on the Talk Is Cheap tour and Brian May in 1993 oddly also 5th row at the beacon on the Back To The Light tour ......

Shout Out to @Ludomichel and The Georgia Satellites .....I saw them open for Tom Petty in '86 or '87 and they just kicked ass .... really wish i had gotten to see them again. 

• Like 2

An ex of mine bagged tickets to see Stevie Wonder in 2008 (I think) at the 02 Arena in London.  Stevie doesn't come to the UK very often so this was an opportunity not to be missed.  Excitement was off the scale.

It turned out to be self indulgent nonsense and I couldn't wait for it to end. 

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

What I read of his Hyde Park performance of Songs In the Key Of Life suggested much the same.

26 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

An ex of mine bagged tickets to see Stevie Wonder in 2008 (I think) at the 02 Arena in London.  Stevie doesn't come to the UK very often so this was an opportunity not to be missed.  Excitement was off the scale.

I have a BluRay audio of this show. I ripped off dubbed the sound off of the video disc onto a 3-disc CR-R set. The sound is amazing, the playing and set list was meticulously crafted. Was it the music you didn't like? Just my own curiosity.

37 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

What a shame. I saw him in 1985 and he was great back then. He first came to town in 1976 when I was in high school but couldn't find anyone to go with me then so I was thrilled he came back when I could see him another time.

• Like 1

1. Pink Floyd. Manchester Free Trade Hall December 1970.

The tickets had been on sale for some weeks before I rolled up to the shop selling the tickets, this 2 weeks before the concert and the man selling tickets said "oh this has concert is selling quite well, it might even sell out".  2 years later in order to see them I had to queue on the morning the tickets went on sale, (same shop) as I knew they would sell out in the first hours.

2. Rolling Stones. Belle Vue. Manchester September 1973.

I was on the 4th row, the Stones were in my opinion at their peak, had released Goats Head Soup the week before, this was their first UK tour in years.

3. Bruce Springsteen. Manchester Apollo. May 1981. 

Don't really need to say anymore.

4. Bruce Springsteen. Manchester Etihad. June 2012.

This concert has been discussed on this forum frequently. Best concert I have been to, and I am a United fan.

5. Joana Serrat. Manchester Gullivers. May 2016

Most intimate concert I have been to. In a back room of a pub, with about 20 people in attendance.

• Like 5

The Monkees - 2/7/67

The Who/The Herd/Marmalade/Traffic/Tremeloes -  30/10/67

Bruce - First one,  11/5/81

Southside - lots but lucky to be in Red Bank NYE 2006/07 I think

Only 5? Heck … erm ...

John Denver, Killers, Roger McGuinn, Dire Straits - pick any one.

• Like 3
On 5/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, Brown Eyed Boy said:

1. Roy Orbison - Carlisle, mid sixties.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, robk1 said:

Clash supported by Suicide and Specials !! Manchester Apollo .About 82

21 hours ago, JustDan said:

1 hour ago, Green Fox said:

1. Pink Floyd. Manchester Free Trade Hall December 1970.

The tickets had been on sale for some weeks before I rolled up to the shop selling the tickets, this 2 weeks before the concert and the man selling tickets said "oh this has concert is selling quite well, it might even sell out".  2 years later in order to see them I had to queue on the morning the tickets went on sale, (same shop) as I knew they would sell out in the first hours.

What can I say ....you lucky lucky people.... great thread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Saw Stevie at the Edinburgh Playhouse in the late 80'sand he was great and so was his band. On for 3 hours which is almost Bruce-like. However I saw a recent show on TV with him and he hasn't aged well at all and as you say it was very self-indulgent.

• Like 1

Oh, what a fun topic!

First of all, God bless the Feelies!  Nice to see Lampi add them to his list.  I haven't started my list yet, and still don't know if they will make it or not.  :)

I'll put most of these on the list because it was a particularly special event, or something pleasantly rare happened.

Pearl Jam / Bad Religion - Soldier Field - Chicago - 7/11/95 - During their boycott Ticketmaster tour, this one almost didn't happen. But, they managed to fill up 40,000+ seats on what was one of their looser and more rocking shows of their career.  From an article written a short while ago about this show - "This show, then, marks something of a milepost in Pearl Jam’s career. There would be wild nights here and there later (a recording from the end of 1995 in San Diego reveals as much), but this night marked one of the last times the band went all out in its pursuit of the cosmic, leaving battered guitars and vocals in its stead. More than the last night of a tour, the music preserved on that night in Soldier Field shows a band that played as though their world could end at any moment. And, in music, it can. Pearl Jam had seen the effects of a raging world more than once in its five years as a band. ... And that night, Pearl Jam played their longest show to date, a raging evening where the only goal, it seemed was “to play as long as they do.” And from “Release” until the closing “Yellow Ledbetter” nearly three hours later, Pearl Jam delivered what should rank among their finest nights as a band." 

As a note: Pearl Jam used the Grateful Dead's stage from the night before...which sadly turned out to be the Grateful Dead's last show before Jerry's death.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Consol Energy Center - Pittsburgh, PA - 9/11/16 - One of the final BS and the ESB shows on American soil (hopefully not for long), this was an especially relevant show because it was Bruce's first on 9/11 since 2001...and boy, did he come through.  Played for 3 hours and 45 minutes.  Some great songs from the Rising that I hadn't heard since that tour..."Into the Fire", "You're Missing", and an acoustic "Long Walk Home" from "Magic".

As an incredible bonus, Mrs. Sonic and I got to enjoy everything from front and center of the pit...even getting the chance to hoist her on my shoulders to play Bruce's guitar during 'Born to Run'.  Bruce gives her a smile and a little chat before moving on...

Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks - Hara Arena - Dayton, Ohio - 11/18/83 - This made my list for being one of my first live shows.  I was 17 years old, and had picked up on Neil from my older brother.  This show was purposely kind of cheesy for Neil standards, but he really played some great songs....Sugar Mountain, Ohio, Love Is a Rose, etc.  What made it really special is that it was filmed for public release.  At the time, we thought it was for HBO, but it eventually made its way on to the old LaserDisc format.  Hoping with Neil busting out his archives, that this full show will see the light of day sometime. In the meantime, I will have to rely on my bootleg dvd copy.  

220px-Solotrans2.jpg

Eric Clapton Guitar Festival - Toyota Park - Chicago, IL - 6/26/10 - Just thankful to be on the field for this one.  Eric brought out a slew of great guitar talent (young and old) and it was terrific getting to see them all in one place.  Bill Murray dressed as rockers of the past (Elvis, Jimi, etc.) to introduce the performers.  And, on a sweltering hot 90+ degree day, we got to see Eric, Derek Trucks, Steve Winwood, Sheryl Crow, ZZ Top, John Mayer, Gary Clark Jr., Buddy Guy, BB King, Ronnie Wood, Jeff Beck and a bunch more.   Below is a photo that I took on my trusty Blackberry from near the front of the stage...

1597596355_ClaptonWoodBBKingJune2010.jpg.8e77d673840e554eca51a9e15cef79bf.jpg

Bob Dylan with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Market Square Arena - Indianapolis, IN 6/24/86 - Just a great opportunity to see two American legends on stage performing together.  As I remember, Bob played a set with TP and the HB's as backup.  Then, TP and the HB's played an abbreviated set, then Bob finished out the night at the helm with another set. 

I've seen Dylan in his later mumble years, and this was nothing like that.  Bob, the band and the crowd were very energized and I remember sitting there in awe the entire time.  I couldn't even tell you what was on the setlist that night.  I was just happy to be there.

BobDylan1986Indianapolis-1.jpg

Honorable mention (this list should have easily been top ten):  Any Ramones concert; Any Feelies concert; Any Guided by Voices concert; Bob Mould, 9:30 Club - Wash DC 7/19/90; Bruce and the ESB, Tampa, FL 2/1/2009 (Super Bowl Halftime); The Clash, Hara Arena, Dayton, OH 5/8/1984; The Pixies, Riviera, Chicago, IL 12/6/91; Beastie Boys, Hara Arena, Dayton, OH 10/30/2008 one of their final five or six shows; and last but not least, Sonic Youth, Iguana's, Tijuana, MX 11/4/90.

• Like 6

Ive decided not to go Bruce, since at least 4 gigs would get on this list.

1. The Ramones, dec91 Manchester- no Dee Dee but still incrdeible and 30 feet to my left was Kurt Cobain, Nirvana were playing the following night.

2. David Bowie final tour 2003 . Lived up to every expectation I hadof him x5!

3.John Mellencamp , 1992 NEC Birmingham. It disappointing he tours UK so little, but he was amazing that night and it was my birthday.

4.The Fall Oxford Academy 2010. Mark E Smith was a true punk legend, I was privileged to see him.

5.Shane McGowan and the Popes , Heineken Music festival, Leeds 1995. Kirsty McColl came on and did Fairytale of New York, just one of those moments that will stay with me forever -perfect.

I would have loved to see THe Clash, Floyd, and Zeppelin (seen Plant, Page and JP Jones in separate gigs though) 

• Like 6