Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

5 artists/concerts you were truly blessed to have seen.


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JustDan said:

I have a BluRay audio of this show. I ripped off dubbed the sound off of the video disc onto a 3-disc CR-R set. The sound is amazing, the playing and set list was meticulously crafted. Was it the music you didn't like? Just my own curiosity.

The band were superb.  Unbelievable musicianship.

But I seem to remember quite a few jazzy, noodling instrumentals.  There were also some duets which were boring, to me.  And looking at the set list (Sept 12 2008) I seem to remember that all of his massive (and most popular) songs were wrapped up in a medley or two.  Interestingly, from our seats up in the Gods we could clearly see that the crowd were very static and only came to life when a recognisable song came along. 

I can't say that I'm a huge Stevie fan but I do have all of his classic run of albums from the Seventies.  Every home should.  But he hasn't made a decent album since 1980, probably.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1- Bruce Springsteen & the E St. Band - 8/15/78 Capital Centre, Landover, MD 2- WINGS Over America - 5/16/76 Capital Centre, Landover, MD 3- Led Zeppelin - 2/10/75 Capital Centre, Landov

If I exclude Bruce, then in order of seeing the shows it would be: Small Faces, Birmingham Odeon in 1967 (Roy Orbison was in the same bill, but I went to swoon over Steve Marriott - my first ever

Here’s mine: 1. Roy Orbison - Carlisle, mid sixties. 2. Ray Charles - London Palladium - 1976. 3. Muddy Waters, (Eric Clapton dropped in to jam) - Dingwalls, London, capacity 400. 1978.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Green Fox said:

1. Pink Floyd. Manchester Free Trade Hall December 1970.

The tickets had been on sale for some weeks before I rolled up to the shop selling the tickets, this 2 weeks before the concert and the man selling tickets said "oh this has concert is selling quite well, it might even sell out".  2 years later in order to see them I had to queue on the morning the tickets went on sale, (same shop) as I knew they would sell out in the first hours.

 

2. Rolling Stones. Belle Vue. Manchester September 1973.

I was on the 4th row, the Stones were in my opinion at their peak, had released Goats Head Soup the week before, this was their first UK tour in years.

 

3. Bruce Springsteen. Manchester Apollo. May 1981. 

Don't really need to say anymore.

 

4. Bruce Springsteen. Manchester Etihad. June 2012.

This concert has been discussed on this forum frequently. Best concert I have been to, and I am a United fan.

 

5. Joana Serrat. Manchester Gullivers. May 2016

Most intimate concert I have been to. In a back room of a pub, with about 20 people in attendance.

What would the other Floyd gig be ? I saw them, I think at the Opera house doing the Wish You Were Here tour....can't remember having much of a problem getting tickets....and was very underwhelmed ! I think Ivor Cutler supported, but that could have been Genesis.

Sticking with Manchester concerts....another five would be

Bowie,./ Ziggy stardust.

Wings..both of these at the Hard Rock Stretford.

Nirvana...the concert with the guns being fired outside

New Order at Hacienda...a work night and they didn't come on until about 11.00.

REM....the International ...their second visit .My girlfriend fainted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 more:

Bob Seger - Hammersmith Odeon, 1977

Tom Waits - Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club, Soho, London, capacity 250, 1976.

Emmylou Harris - New Victoria Theatre, London, 1975. Her first UK show. Hitchhiked there and back, 600 miles round trip.

CSNY, Joni Mitchell, The Band - Wembley Stadium, 1974.

Bob Dylan - Earls Court 1978. Queued for 48 hours to get tickets outside the Hammersmith Odeon.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, robk1 said:

What would the other Floyd gig be ? I saw them, I think at the Opera house doing the Wish You Were Here tour....can't remember having much of a problem getting tickets....and was very underwhelmed ! I think Ivor Cutler supported, but that could have been Genesis.

Sticking with Manchester concerts....another five would be

Bowie,./ Ziggy stardust.

Wings..both of these at the Hard Rock Stretford.

Nirvana...the concert with the guns being fired outside

New Order at Hacienda...a work night and they didn't come on until about 11.00.

REM....the International ...their second visit .My girlfriend fainted.

Hi Rob. The other concert was in Spring 1972. Initially set for February, there was an electric strike on at the time (year before the miners strike) and power was switched off indiscriminately. The Pink Floyd concert was in fact warned this may happen and they only played 2 numbers before the hall was emptied. A revised date was made for late March that year and this went without a hitch. 

They toured Dark Side of the Moon on the 1972 tour some 12 months before it was actually released. I have often wondered how much different the live 1972 version was to the eventual release in 1973. As far as I am aware there are no recordings of the 1972 tour available. I lost interest in them when they became really famous, but saw them for a final time in December 1974 in Bristol, which I think would have been the tour you saw. I had a few friends who couldn't get tickets to the show in Manchester which if my memory serves me correctly was at the Palace.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

5 more:

Bob Seger - Hammersmith Odeon, 1977

Tom Waits - Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club, Soho, London, capacity 250, 1976.

Emmylou Harris - New Victoria Theatre, London, 1975. Her first UK show. Hitchhiked there and back, 600 miles round trip.

CSNY, Joni Mitchell, The Band - Wembley Stadium, 1974.

Bob Dylan - Earls Court 1978. Queued for 48 hours to get tickets outside the Hammersmith Odeon.

 

I saw Emmylou in Manchester in 1975 and also went to the Wembley Stadium show, where I thought the Band were easily the best that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough one.....my "blessed" top five would have probably five Bruce gigs, so I've gone for some gigs that were not necessarily great gigs, but have a bit of a (sometimes personal) back story, so.......

1) Marillion, Embra Playhouse Hogmanay 83 (I think). Fish's homecoming (ish) gig. Cracking gig, off up The Tron afterwards (before New Year became choreographed) then a trek across Edinburgh to find a party that we'd been invited to. A fun night with old friends, the lengthy walk through the nation's capital being a right fun part of the night.

2) Run Rig at The Greyhound, Fulham Palace Road, That London. Seeing RR in a small venue, which was part of the "pub rock" circuit (and sadly no more as a venue I believe) was a blast. It was a Monday night following the England v Scotland game at Wembley on the Saturday (1-0 Beardsley). That was a hideous day. I've never seen so much violence in one day at a match, this was when INGURLAND rather than England was at its zenith. Toxic experience and the Monday night provided a cleansing catharsis. Once more spent in the company of one of my oldest buddies. A couple of months later I took him to his first Bruce gig, again Wembley.

3) Thin Lizzy Fusion Nightclub Aberdeen. This was, I think 81. Lizzy were big then and the notion of them playing Fusion, an average sized Night Club, was risible. But the rumours were true and a kick ass night was had.

4) AC DC at The Apollo (formerly Greens) in Glasgow 82. Angus Young is on record as saying The Apollo was one of his favourite venues in the world. It showed.

5) OK, it has to be the first Bruce. St James 85.

 

Those I missed......The Clash, Aberdeen Capitol, should've gone.....could've gone.

The Rolling Stones "surprise" gig at Aberdeen Capitol. Couldn't get a ticket.

I wish I'd moved heaven and earth to get a ticket for Bruce in Edinburgh in 81. I was young and my fandom had not yet come close to peaking.

 

Black Sabbath with Van Halen supporting.........why in the fuck didn't I go?

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Green Fox said:

They toured Dark Side of the Moon on the 1972 tour some 12 months before it was actually released. I have often wondered how much different the live 1972 version was to the eventual release in 1973. As far as I am aware there are no recordings of the 1972 tour available. I lost interest in them when they became really famous, but saw them for a final time in December 1974 in Bristol, which I think would have been the tour you saw. I had a few friends who couldn't get tickets to the show in Manchester which if my memory serves me correctly was at the Palace.

Fascinating. I am very envious, but I would have been 2 or 3 and not into Floyd at that stage! :D

It is a shame that there are no live recordings of the 72 tour. Infact I was a very late comer to Floyd fandom, I remember liking the sinister edge of Another Brick in the Wall when it was on Top of the Pops in the late 70s  but I didnt really start warming to them until the early 90s and in the shoulda could category, Floyd at Earls Court was within my reach. Now Im a big fan , saw Roger Waters' The Wall about 8 years ago and I was due to see Gilmour accompanying his wife's book reading with music in Birmingham whenever that happens now. Was tempted by Saucerful oF Secrets wuith Nick Mason but pre Atom Heart Mother its all pretty whizzo!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Green Fox said:

Hi Rob. The other concert was in Spring 1972. Initially set for February, there was an electric strike on at the time (year before the miners strike) and power was switched off indiscriminately. The Pink Floyd concert was in fact warned this may happen and they only played 2 numbers before the hall was emptied. A revised date was made for late March that year and this went without a hitch. 

They toured Dark Side of the Moon on the 1972 tour some 12 months before it was actually released. I have often wondered how much different the live 1972 version was to the eventual release in 1973. As far as I am aware there are no recordings of the 1972 tour available. I lost interest in them when they became really famous, but saw them for a final time in December 1974 in Bristol, which I think would have been the tour you saw. I had a few friends who couldn't get tickets to the show in Manchester which if my memory serves me correctly was at the Palace.

Just done a bit of digging. My concert would be 9

or 10 Dec 74. Palace Theatre.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Black Sabbath with Van Halen supporting.........why in the fuck didn't I go?

I seen this tour here in STL. And if you can bring up the archives of RS. At this show in STL, is when Ozzy said i need to leave BS. As Van Halen blew them off the stage. And after that tour Ozzy left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Black Sabbath with Van Halen supporting

Too noisy....Ugh...Can you imagine the reverb and echo distortion levels? Jaysus :blink:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly blessed? I think so, but some of you won't agree with my choices :lol: I'll list them in date order and leave Bruce out as he is above and beyond. There are a few more who deserve an honourable mention but these sprang to mind.  I had to Google a couple of dates - however the first one is etched on my brain :)

David Cassidy - Empire Pool Wembley March 16th 1973.  I was 12 years old, my first concert.

Liza, Frank & Sammy - Royal Albert Hall 1989.  I've seen Liza many times over the years.  To see three legends together was special.

Barbra Streisand - 02 Arena 2007.  Ticket cost £265.  Once in a lifetime.  Strangely (I've said this before) I didn't yearn to see her again live.

Mott The Hoople - 02 Arena 2013.  I went on my own.  A dream come true  - the wonderful Ian Hunter!

Martyn Joseph - Cecil Sharp House 2014. A one-off evening of his album Tires Rushing By In The Rain (all Bruce covers).  It was amazing in a very small venue.

(I'll also honourably mention Albert Hammond at another small venue, Bush Hall, in 2015.  He was brilliant.  I hadn't realised he'd written or co-written so many famous songs).

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Martyn Joseph - Cecil Sharp House 2014. A one-off evening of his album Tires Rushing By In The Rain (all Bruce covers).  It was amazing in a very small venue.

(I'll also honourably mention Albert Hammond at another small venue, Bush Hall, in 2015.  He was brilliant.  I hadn't realised he'd written or co-written so many famous songs).

 

Excellent choices.

When Albert Hammond first started touring again in 2012 I saw him in a small venue in York, then again a couple of years later in a less than half full City Varieties. Referring to the size of the audience he said that "didn't do it for the money"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Truly blessed? I think so, but some of you won't agree with my choices :lol: I'll list them in date order and leave Bruce out as he is above and beyond. There are a few more who deserve an honourable mention but these sprang to mind.  I had to Google a couple of dates - however the first one is etched on my brain :)

David Cassidy - Empire Pool Wembley March 16th 1973.  I was 12 years old, my first concert.

Liza, Frank & Sammy - Royal Albert Hall 1989.  I've seen Liza many times over the years.  To see three legends together was special.

Barbra Streisand - 02 Arena 2007.  Ticket cost £265.  Once in a lifetime.  Strangely (I've said this before) I didn't yearn to see her again live.

Mott The Hoople - 02 Arena 2013.  I went on my own.  A dream come true  - the wonderful Ian Hunter!

Martyn Joseph - Cecil Sharp House 2014. A one-off evening of his album Tires Rushing By In The Rain (all Bruce covers).  It was amazing in a very small venue.

(I'll also honourably mention Albert Hammond at another small venue, Bush Hall, in 2015.  He was brilliant.  I hadn't realised he'd written or co-written so many famous songs).

 

My mom is a huge Streisand fan.  When she appeared here in Ohio around the same time as your show, I convinced her that it was a once in a lifetime shot to see her.  She did it, and has not one regret.  Thrilled that she has the memory.  :) 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I exclude Bruce, then in order of seeing the shows it would be:

Small Faces, Birmingham Odeon in 1967 (Roy Orbison was in the same bill, but I went to swoon over Steve Marriott - my first ever gig and I loved it.

Diana Ross and The Supremes at Manchester Free Trade Hall, November 1968. Diana had controversially quoted Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech at the Royal Variety show the previous week, which she did again. Always loved Ms. Ross.

Four Tops at Streatham Odeon in October 1971. Youth club outing to London, such a great day out, footie in the afternoon at White Hart Lane and Tops in the evening. Glory Days! 

Bob Marley, Birmingham Odeon July, 1975. Unbelievable show, an 90% black audience which was just full of the most electric energy I have ever experienced. Also the first time I was searched going into a concert.

Blackbush, July 1978. What can I say, just so lucky to be there.

Honourable mention - Paul Simon at Royal Albert Hall in 2016.

One that got away - Otis Redding at Birmingham Odeon, just because I couldn't be bothered to queue...

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Truly blessed? I think so, but some of you won't agree with my choices :lol: I'll list them in date order and leave Bruce out as he is above and beyond. There are a few more who deserve an honourable mention but these sprang to mind.  I had to Google a couple of dates - however the first one is etched on my brain :)

David Cassidy - Empire Pool Wembley March 16th 1973.  I was 12 years old, my first concert.

Liza, Frank & Sammy - Royal Albert Hall 1989.  I've seen Liza many times over the years.  To see three legends together was special.

Barbra Streisand - 02 Arena 2007.  Ticket cost £265.  Once in a lifetime.  Strangely (I've said this before) I didn't yearn to see her again live.

Mott The Hoople - 02 Arena 2013.  I went on my own.  A dream come true  - the wonderful Ian Hunter!

Martyn Joseph - Cecil Sharp House 2014. A one-off evening of his album Tires Rushing By In The Rain (all Bruce covers).  It was amazing in a very small venue.

(I'll also honourably mention Albert Hammond at another small venue, Bush Hall, in 2015.  He was brilliant.  I hadn't realised he'd written or co-written so many famous songs).

 

I had to google all my dates except The Small Faces!! Nothing beats a teenage crush...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

If I exclude Bruce, then in order of seeing the shows it would be:

Small Faces, Birmingham Odeon in 1967 (Roy Orbison was in the same bill, but I went to swoon over Steve Marriott - my first ever gig and I loved it.

Diana Ross and The Supremes at Manchester Free Trade Hall, November 1968. Diana had controversially quoted Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech at the Royal Variety show the previous week, which she did again. Always loved Ms. Ross.

Four Tops at Streatham Odeon in October 1971. Youth club outing to London, such a great day out, footie in the afternoon at White Hart Lane and Tops in the evening. Glory Days! 

Bob Marley, Birmingham Odeon July, 1975. Unbelievable show, an 90% black audience which was just full of the most electric energy I have ever experienced. Also the first time I was searched going into a concert.

Blackbush, July 1978. What can I say, just so lucky to be there.

Honourable mention - Paul Simon at Royal Albert Hall in 2016.

One that got away - Otis Redding at Birmingham Odeon, just because I couldn't be bothered to queue...

Blackbush?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

 

Bob Marley, Birmingham Odeon July, 1975. Unbelievable show, an 90% black audience which was just full of the most electric energy I have ever experienced. Also the first time I was searched going into a concert.

 

This is just flat out bragging.  How dare you!  :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Barbra Streisand - 02 Arena 2007.  Ticket cost £265.  Once in a lifetime.  Strangely (I've said this before) I didn't yearn to see her again live.

Not a fan as such but she always had a great voice. When you put the put ticket price up I thought bloody Hell! But then I quickly remembered the Bruce on Broadway prices!!!!What was it now, 5 million pounds for a seat in the gods??!!!:D

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

David Byrne's American Utopia, Hammersmith Odeon, summer 2018.  Stunning mix of rock music, choreography and sheer inventiveness. Saw it twice more in Cardiff and New York, and tempted to see it again in NYC in September if Covid allows. I don't think I've ever known a show garner so many ecstatic reviews.

A close second, Bruce and SSB Birmingham UK 2006.  The way Bruce rethought, reinvented and rejuvenated a lot of his older songs made me reconsider his musical talent. Who would have thought that Blinded... could ever have been a joyous ska workout, or that the mundane Further On Up The Road could be a thing of such powerful beauty? Many more examples.

Sparks, Bristol 02, 2017.  Never been in a room where love for a band or artist has been expressed so overwhelmingly. Genuinely moving and a privilege to have witnessed it. Incredible show.

Brian Wison, Pet Sounds tour, Bristol 2002.  To hear one of the greatest albums of all time performed by its author and a superb twelve piece band was another privilege. Plus, a ninety minute set of other Brian classics. Met him afterwards, too.  Unforgettable night.

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Cardiff Uni 1999.  Energy energy energy. Joe fronts a young band promoting one of the best and most diverse albums of his career and loses none of that punk energy while channeling 'world' music, reggae, ska and rock.  Never saw the Clash but it couldn't have been more exciting or thrilling than this.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sonicramone said:

This is just flat out bragging.  How dare you!  :) 

Yep, I want to read the whole thread before answering, It's just out right bragging. 

2 hours ago, whispered secret said:

It's just that I'm older than most of you!! 

Maybe in age! But not in youth! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Truly blessed? I think so, but some of you won't agree with my choices :lol: I'll list them in date order and leave Bruce out as he is above and beyond. There are a few more who deserve an honourable mention but these sprang to mind.  I had to Google a couple of dates - however the first one is etched on my brain :)

David Cassidy - Empire Pool Wembley March 16th 1973.  I was 12 years old, my first concert.

Liza, Frank & Sammy - Royal Albert Hall 1989.  I've seen Liza many times over the years.  To see three legends together was special.

Barbra Streisand - 02 Arena 2007.  Ticket cost £265.  Once in a lifetime.  Strangely (I've said this before) I didn't yearn to see her again live.

Mott The Hoople - 02 Arena 2013.  I went on my own.  A dream come true  - the wonderful Ian Hunter!

Martyn Joseph - Cecil Sharp House 2014. A one-off evening of his album Tires Rushing By In The Rain (all Bruce covers).  It was amazing in a very small venue.

(I'll also honourably mention Albert Hammond at another small venue, Bush Hall, in 2015.  He was brilliant.  I hadn't realised he'd written or co-written so many famous songs).

 

Wow. Very impressed with Liza, Frank and Sammy show. Would have paid good money to see that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...