Greasy Lake Community

Been outside the San Siro but never in it. Missed the chance to see Bruce there unfortunately.

Sad news it looks like it is going to be demolished now.

• Sad 1

West Germany played all their group and knockout games there on the way to winning the World Cup in 1990 except for the glorious semi-final victory over England 

unnamed.png

13 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey, they tore down Yankee Stadium, nothing more sacred then that. Right @JimCT

The Cathedral of Baseball (with nods to Fenway and Wrigley, who have their own aficionados)

I'll repeat this story. The first time I went to the "new" Yankee Stadium I was in the premium Delta Lounge seats, behind home plate but up one level. I asked one of the ushers, an older African-American man, if he had worked the old park as well, and when he said yes, asked him how he liked the new place in comparison. His reply was on-point: "This is a fantastic stadium. But the old place was a BALLPARK!"

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

Never been in San Siro, oh man I hate stadium shows, but Milan San Siro 1985 show was one of my first Springsteen vinyl bootlegs (Back To The Roots), I got the VHS video tape of that pretty quickly too. One of the San Siro concerts might be pretty good candidate for the next Archive

2 hours ago, 65pacecar said:

Always sad to see great old structures demolished. 

So what? Personnaly, when connecting the demolishing of San Siro or whatever great old structure to the Wrecking Ball song, I like very much what Jay Lustig said about the song for his Springsteen 70 project:

1082696468_Wreckingball.jpg.39c619d012899edc5418e5218ca3c602.jpg

On Sept. 30, 2009, Bruce Springsteen played the first concert in a five-show stand at a venue he had headlined many times before: Giants Stadium in East Rutherford. The building was scheduled to be demolished early the next year.

I figured he would do something special to mark the occasion. What I couldn’t have predicted is that he’d immortalize the event by writing a song about it. “This is something I wrote for tonight,” he said as he introduced the show’s opening number, “Wrecking Ball.” In the song, he sang from the point of view of the stadium itself, pugnaciously lashing out about its imminent demise: “Take your best shot, let me see what you got/Bring on your wrecking ball.”

I didn’t know if I’d ever hear this anthem again. But he opened all five shows with it, and continued playing it at concerts, and recorded a studio version. He even played it at five of the six concerts he did at MetLife Stadium (the building that replaced Giants Stadium) in 2012 and 2016.

In retrospect, it’s easy to see why he’s stuck with “Wrecking Ball.” The song made a rousing statement that Springsteen, who had just turned 60 when he performed it for the first time, also wanted to make about himself. It’s a statement about resilience, and staying strong even though you “know that come tomorrow, none of this will be here.”

It also happened to be a statement that worked particularly well as the centerpiece of his frequently angry and confrontational Wrecking Ball album — even for fans who had never been to the Meadowlands, and so never had the opportunity to experience those “mosquitoes … big as airplanes.”

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/wrecking-ball-springsteen-70-project-no-41/

• Like 2

Such news always make me sentimental... I was there in 2016 to see Bruce, and last October we were in Milano, my son watched a match there and he had told me about the new stadium being planned.

I guess buildings need to fall, so the new ones can be built, and become a part of someone else's life. 

I hope to see Bruce in Milano again. 

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Been there twice. First time in the Champions League quarter final of 1999. A famous but very tatty old stadium and that was over 20 years ago, and 13 years later to see Bruce and the ESB in 2012, so bring on your wrecking ball. 

You didn’t say hello .. the 3hr 47 min show

15 minutes ago, AMIW said:

You didn’t say hello .. the 3hr 47 min show

I felt sure it was filmed for a tour blu ray. All the extra cameras were there. 10 days later I went to see Bruce at the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid which was a much, much better show.  

Best atmosphere  at a Bruce Springsteen show I've ever been at.

Those Italians sure do love the Boss.

A while back  in 2003 Newcastle United fans played Inter Milan

12,000 Newcastle fans also made a canny atmosphere 

CIWUT7_VEAAaKBt?format=jpg&name=small

BU81xZjCYAAZAK_.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I felt sure it was filmed for a tour blu ray. All the extra cameras were there. 10 days later I went to see Bruce at the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid which was a much, much better show.  

Whereas 3 days later I was in Firenze which was a much, much wetter show:D

• Like 1

although not my code of choice i feel particularly bad for the home fans and anyone else with deep connections to this stadium

i know the pain of having my home ground demolished

there is some consolation that a new stadium will rise next door - so hallowed ground will more or less remain so

my beloved Carrisbrook is nothing but a council lot 

best wishes to all parties regarding costs and debt moving forward 

I have said since 2016 that the next time Springsteen toured Europe I would do all I could to see him at the San Siro - looked like a magical venue for him, fingers crossed any plans are slow moving..!

Been fortunate enough to see every show at the San Siro except the BITUSA show. Something magical happens when Bruce & the Band play there. Hopefully one more time before they tear the old lady down. 

• Like 2