the article reacons this 6 

thunder road

darkness on the edge of town

the river 

Atlantic city

streets of Philadelphia 

radio no where 

we can do better

give me your ten that best represents your interpretation of the American heart land 

(12 or 15 are ok if you can't whittle it down ;))

im off to work on mine 

• Like 1

im interpreting American heartland as a combination of the music genre and also the charactricists (see below).of  the political defination of a state that doesn't touch an ocean (i googled that !)

from wiki

Halford Mackinder, a British geographer, coined the word in 1904 to refer to the heart of the Eurasian land mass: a strategic center of industry, natural resources and power.[7] The use of the term "heartland" to apply to the American Midwest did not become common until sometime in the 20th century

Heartland is an American political term referring to U.S. states that "don't touch an ocean,"[1] whether the Atlantic or Pacific, or to the Midwestern United States.[2] The phrase not only refers to a tangible region but is also a cultural term connoting many ideas and values, such as hard work, rustic small town communities, rural heritage, simplicity, and honesty. Citizens of the Heartland—referred to as simply "Heartlanders"—are often seen as Blue collar.

this pretty much describes our man

Heartland rock is a genre of rock music characterized by a straightforward, often roots musical style, a concern with middle class and/or blue-collar American life, and a conviction that rock music has a social or communal purpose beyond just entertainment.

but for your list you are welcome to use your own parameter 

• Like 1

This Hard Land and Promised Land just scream American heartland to me. In fact, when did the expression 'heartland rock' come into being... Promised Land could almost be ground zero for it

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

....I read this article,interesting article but I wondered why they put Born to Run video up for Thunder Road.

that's pretty sad

guess they didn't check out all the awsome live versions on u tube

not fanatic fans ?

that's another reason id rather get ny Springsteen thoughts and opinion here on greasy lake 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A forgetful expert if anything. Here's the obvious #11 that I had a tab open for but accidentally closed and forgot about.

Paolo is the greatest. I needed this and the rest of his list.

A devestating sampling of this man's music. Our country is vast and lost these days. I am moved to tears by the news everyday, as each day melts into the next. This music gives me hope.

• Like 3

Interesting to see Radio Nowhere as the modern day choice, skipping various songs from The Rising, Long Walk Home, and Wrecking Ball. 

I like it a lot and it is thematically appropriate, I just think other songs are more obvious. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Good shout. Very good shout.

I'm still trying to figure out where I've heard that melody in another piece of music.

If sped up, the melody is similiar to the riff in Rockaway The Days.

• Like 2

First thought was Nebraska (for title, and because of 'The badlands of Wyoming', not for what the song is actually about) and Sugarland, both already mentioned.

Youngstown! For both title and content, obviously.

The Price You Pay? No Surrender? The Promise? Long Time Coming?

For only title, representative of the mentality and aversion against government of many inhabitants of the 'heartland': We Take Care Of Our Own. (not for content, which is about the opposite: We Don't Take Of Our Own).

Again, for title, not for content: Born In The U.S.A.

Clearly the already mentioned The Promised Land, The River, This Hard Land, Badlands, Factory, County Fair, My Hometown, County Fair, Long Walk Home.

Black Cowboys, which mentions Ohio, Pennsylvania, 'The small towns of Indiana', ''The rutted hills of Oklahoma', 'The black cowboys of the Oklahoma range', 'The tribes of the Great Plains', 'Muddy fields of green' and 'Corn and cotton and endless nothing inbetween'.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Jack And Diane

And the whole Scarecrow album; the song titles alone read almost as a summary of the 'heartland'. Not to mention what the songs are about, and not to mention other Mellencamp albums.

• Like 2
On 5/26/2020 at 9:31 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

The phrase not only refers to a tangible region but is also a cultural term connoting many ideas and values, such as hard work, rustic small town communities, rural heritage, simplicity, and honesty. Citizens of the Heartland—referred to as simply "Heartlanders"—are often seen as Blue collar.

Using this definition -and not the geographically definition ('fly-over-states'), the vast majority of the work of our man is about people in the heartland, even if they live in New Jersey or California; reason why Atlantic City can be included; and many others. To go a step further, by this definition, you can say -with maybe a little bit exaggeration- the complete Darkness, River, Nebraska and BUSA albums are about people living in the heartland.

Not Streets of Philadelphia, which is included for some very strange reasons; both title (a very big city, not heartland at all) and for sure not content.

Unless you say include Philadelphia because of the city of The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Bill of Rights, with all the American values?

• Like 4

The majority of Springsteen's songs are definitive of American Heartland, even the ones we don't really think are. 

@Lampi you mentioned how "Nebraska", "Born in the U.S.A." are examples in name, not content, @Jimmy James you showed confusion about "Atlantic City" and "Streets of Philadelphia" in the initial list, but I've gotta disagree and say all four songs are fine examples. The themes of death/murder, persecution, homelessness, struggles in a relationship and struggles as a single being are indicative of someone in every community throughout the American Heartland.

All four of those songs have at least one lyric that can resonate with someone in any Heartland.

"You end like a dog who's been beat too much."

"I guess there's just a meanness in this world."

"I got debts that no honest man could pay" 

"I was unrecognisable to myself."

Everyone, Blue Collar or not, has felt something like this at some point! 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Let's try these 6 instead.

1. Born to Run

2. Working on the Highway

3. County Fair

4. My Hometown

5. Land of Hope and Dreams 

6. All or Nothing at All 

Very good my Brother!! I'd say its all heartland stuff in a way. He's a quintesential American, born amidst the baby boom post WW2. 

I am currently playing Boston 2007, and the whole thing is spot on.

Every song he's written is a classic american heartland piece.

• Like 1