5 hours ago, Accountant Pete said:

By theme and geography my half dozen are these:

Chasin' Wild Horses

Nebraska

The New Timer

Racing in the Street Street

The River

This Hard Land

This is also amazing. You all get it, and we are richer for having shared it together.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Using this definition -and not the geographically definition ('fly-over-states'), the vast majority of the work of our man is about people in the heartland, even if they live in New Jersey or California; reason why Atlantic City can be included; and many others. To go a step further, by this definition, you can say -with maybe a little bit exaggeration- the complete Darkness, River, Nebraska and BUSA albums are about people living in the heartland.

Not Streets of Philadelphia, which is included for some very strange reasons; both title (a very big city, not heartland at all) and for sure not content.

Unless you say include Philadelphia because of the city of The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Bill of Rights, with all the American values?

throw in the Joad album and this is why im having so much trouble with my list 

54 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

throw in the Joad album and this is why im having so much trouble with my list 

Yes indeed this could be considered difficult.

I would say Sinaloa Cowboys, Balboa Park, are not about 'the heartland'.

For the rest most songs -obviously not Youngstown- are set in California, but in (very) rural California,-so 'heartland'. And there is a lot of violence on the Joad album; but violence is an essential part of the history of the American West.

The themes in the Joad songs (and Brothers Under The Bridge) are not about 'ordinary life'; like, the man and woman in Highway 29 are very ordinary people, but the story in the song is not your regular day at the office; (better: your regular day at the factory, or in this case your regular day in the shoestore). But it is about what can -maybe- happen when peope living in a small town, trapped in the Jackson Cage, one day suddenly decide that life has treated them not well, that The Promise is broken, and they have to take their fate in their own hands, to search for The Promised Land; and in Highway 29 that all goes horribly wrong (a sort of Thelma & Louise).

• Like 1

I think we need to look at the music as well as the lyrics.

Born To Run as an e.g for me sounds very 'urban' musically, it doesn't evoke a feeling of heartland for me despite the lyrics.

Streets Of Philly again has a very 'urban' sound.

Someone mentioned the whole River album... Sherry Darling and Out In The Street as two examples very much evoke an urban experience musically and lyrically rather than the 'heartland'

All IMO of course

• Like 2

i took out BTR, the new timer, Ramrod, accross the boarder and LOHAD plus county fair :(

but then included American beauty and this hard land

this is getting harder not eaiser 

the promised land

racing in the street 

factory 

darkness on the edge of town

the promise

the river

highway patrolman

BITUSA 

Youngstown

city of ruins

Devils and dust

last to die

devil's arcade 

long walk home

working on a dream

Jack of all trades

WTCOOO

American beauty

the wall

bugga ! forgot this hard land

Some more: Strangely no one mentioned American Land yet.

Death To My Hometown.

Girls In Their Summer Clothes; the lyrics are about a summer evening in a small town, Frankie's Diner and Shaniqua who brings the coffee for the character who looks at the Fool's Dance down here on Magic Street. The small town itself, however, is more likely a small town in New Jersey not from away from the shore, than a small town in the Midwest. (Also: 'Pour me a drink Theresa' in I'll Work For Your Love; Theresa could be working in Frankie's Diner too).

Queen of the Supermarket:ph34r:; very ordinary regular people in that song...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

Some more: Strangely no one mentioned American Land yet.

Death To My Hometown.

Girls In Their Summer Clothes; the lyrics are about a summer evening in a small town,  Frankie's Diner and Shaniqua who brings the coffee for the character who looks at the Fool's Dance down here on Magic Street. The small town itself, however, is more likely a small town in New Jersey not from away from the shore than a small town in the Midwest. (Also: 'Pour me a drink Theresa in I'll Work For Your Love; Theresa could be working in Frankie's Diner too).

good call on death to my home town

i did consider American land but then i  thought American land had too much NYC feel to it

im now having trouble with the Magic album - it has as many contendors as Darkness

Wild Billy's Circus Story perhaps deserves a mention. It is set in American Heartland, but thematically it's an atmospheric description of circus life, with so many layers...

One aspect perhaps could be the obscurities men in baggy pants are trying to hide, what lies underneath their lonely faces and crazy grins. The flaws and the sins, the stuff that makes them feel different, out of place, and alienated. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

I think we need to look at the music as well as the lyrics.

Born To Run as an e.g for me sounds very 'urban' musically, it doesn't evoke a feeling of heartland for me despite the lyrics.

Streets Of Philly again has a very 'urban' sound.

Someone mentioned the whole River album... Sherry Darling and Out In The Street as two examples very much evoke an urban experience musically and lyrically rather than the 'heartland'

All IMO of course

I agree with this. Born to Run is very polished and full sounding so it doesn’t really feel as heartland to me either. As albums, I’d say Darkness and Nebraska sound the most “heartland” to me, not only because of the lyrics but in terms of production too.

Parts of the River and Born in the USA lyrically fall under this category, but some songs musically sound a bit “urban” as you mentioned. Open All Night is another very heartland song I don’t believe I’ve seen mentioned yet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

There are a whole lot of "Urban areas" within the American Heartland. 

St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Indy just to name a few. 

• Like 1

“American Skin” may unfortunately be pretty relevant these days... :(

The same for Little Steven’s “57 Channels (and nothing on)” remix. :(

• Sad 1