Greasy Lake Community

For its 50th anniversary Yusef has "reimagined" TFTT, and it will be released in September. Where Do the Children Play is in the link below. I must say, that original album is perfect in my memory, impactful at the time, and timeless. So a big part of me thinks this unnecessary. 

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/yusuf-cat-stevens-has-re-recorded-tea-for-the-tillerman-126788/

• Like 2

I was at his induction to the Class of 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The E Street Band was also inducted, but he stole the show. He made a lovely speech and then played Father and Son (dedicated to his son who was there), Wild World and Peace Train with a gospel choir. His matured voice gave additional life to these gorgeous songs. I'd consider myself very lucky to see him perform again. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
27 minutes ago, JoanFontaine said:

I was at his induction to the Class of 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The E Street Band was also inducted, but he stole the show. He made a lovely speech and then played Father and Son (dedicated to his son who was there), Wild World and Peace Train with a gospel choir. His matured voice gave additional life to these gorgeous songs. I'd consider myself very lucky to see him perform again. 

Found this - wonderful! The context of the original, for me in my lifetime then, is just so dominant, that I find it impossible to "be in the now".

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
43 minutes ago, JoanFontaine said:

I'll add that seeing him at Avery Fisher Hall in '72 was memorable.

• Like 1

The Hall of Fame ceremony was at the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn.

Now I've been crying lately 

Thinkin about the world as it is

Why must we go on hating

Why can't we live in bliss. 

• Like 3

I was lucky enough to see him on his 2016 UK Tour. I was thinking that there might have been some dates planned for this year but then the year went pear shaped. 

image.png.7f1402d51045c37699b806c905ef9bba.png

• Like 1

Thank you Jim for starting this thread. His music is such a gift to me, made better by sharing it with you guys around the world. 

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
4 hours ago, JoanFontaine said:

Thank you Jim for starting this thread. His music is such a gift to me, made better by sharing it with you guys around the world. 

TFTTM was released in November nearly 50 years ago. So it arrived just in time for the winter. I was in the 4th Form, so sophomore, at an all-boys Episcopal boarding school of ~210 students, in a hamlet in MA of fewer than 6k. So I fully appreciate what his music means to others, and to me ;) 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:15 PM, Born To Walk said:

I am ordinarily not one for artists re-recording their own material. But I suspect this might just be superb. The age and wisdom in his voice adds so much more to the song.

• Like 1

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/nat-music/audio/2018750444/yusuf-cat-stevens-on-re-recording-tea-for-the-tillerman

Lovely article, and a ~25 minute radio interview is linked in there. I had not known that he went to Christchurch to perform in the aftermath of that massacre, but it makes perfect sense.

Really reinforces why his music meant so much to me then, and now again. 

2015 pro shot full show - you're welcome ;) 

1. Wild World 1:45 2. Where Do the Children Play? 5:43 3. The First Cut Is the Deepest 9:23 4. Here Comes My Baby 12:56 5. Dying to Live (Edgar Winter) 16:30 6. You Are My Sunshine 20:34 7. Oh Very Young 24:01 8. (Remember the Days of the) Old Schoolyard 27:06 9. Sad Lisa 30:05 10. Miles from Nowhere 33:48 11. People Get Ready 37:57 12. Maybe There's a World / All You Need Is Love 41:00 13. If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out 45:43 14. How Can I Tell You 49:49 15. Roadsinger 55:11 16. Moonshadow 59:37 17. The Devil Came From Kansas  (Procol Harum) 1:03:42 18. Trouble 1:07:49 19. Sitting 1:11:08 20. Big boss man 1:14:51 21. Rubylove 1:18:37 22. Morning has broken 1:21:47 23. Peace train 1:30:50 24. Father and son 1:34:46 25. Another Saturday night 1:40:55

• Like 1