Greasy Lake Community

35th Anniversary of Heysel

A native of Liverpool, I was still living there at at the time. Soon after the event I did overhear a scally conversation on a bus journey along the lines of 'if the cowards  stood and fought instead of running away it wouldn't have been as bad'. This actually happened. Was it a typical sentiment? I don't know, but there was an attempt locally to suggest it was down "Cockney Infiltrators" who always turned up at international matches to slug it out with the foreigners. I wasn't convinced. Personally, I was always put off  by the macho culture,  aggressiveness and just plain nastiness that seemed to be a part of local football culture. The stuff I used to witness during the '70's and 80's in Liverpool City Centre on Saturday in the hour or so after a game - until they got the policing right! That particular Jack was always ready to leap back out of its box if the conditions allowed it to - which at Heysel they did.  

Maybe its changed now? 

I'm still gobsmacked at the thought that the game still went ahead nonetheless. I mean what the bloody hell? 

I agree with the suggestion of the article that Heysel was somewhat conveniently airbrushed out of  Liverpool's footballing history following Hillsborough. It really didn't get talked about locally that much for that long. I think there was more hurt about being kicked out of the competition for few years.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Demos said:

A native of Liverpool, I was still living there at at the time. Soon after the event I did overhear a scally conversation on a bus journey along the lines of 'if the cowards  stood and fought instead of running away it wouldn't have been as bad'. This actually happened. Was it a typical sentiment? I don't know, but there was an attempt locally to suggest it was down "Cockney Infiltrators" who always turned up at international matches to slug it out with the foreigners. I wasn't convinced. Personally, I was always put off  by the macho culture,  aggressiveness and just plain nastiness that seemed to be a part of local football culture. The stuff I used to witness during the '70's and 80's in Liverpool City Centre on Saturday in the hour or so after a game - until they got the policing right! That particular Jack was always ready to leap back out of its box if the conditions allowed it to - which at Heysel they did.  

Maybe its changed now? 

I'm still gobsmacked at the thought that the game still went ahead nonetheless. I mean what the bloody hell? 

I agree with the suggestion of the article that Heysel was somewhat conveniently airbrushed out of  Liverpool's footballing history following Hillsborough. It really didn't get talked about locally that much for that long. I think there was more hurt about being kicked out of the competition for few years.

Nice to see a Liverpool fan on this thread, fair play

• Like 1
On 5/29/2020 at 3:28 PM, stevie54uk said:

yes the bad old days

I think that's over simplifying and not taking cognisance of the sociology and culture of the time.

Yes, there were horrific events happened, things that shouldn't have happened in a million years.

But, speaking personally, I'd take those days in a heartbeat over the sanitised, over hyped, over priced pish on offer today.

Thinking back, Hillsborough, Heysel, Bradford.....the common factor is run down stadiums.

Bradford was waiting to happen in one of the wooden grandstands around the country, Heysel.......if that wall doesn't collapse, just another average tear up in Europe, Hillsborough, dibble comes close to doing their job, just another cup semi.

That's not to excuse, or make light of, the hideous things that happened.

But anyone of us going regular in them days could've ended up a victim, or in the case of Heysel, an accused, at an event of that ilk.

Speaking personally, the "edge" back then was part of the day.

I was never a hoolie, I was too much of a piss head, but there was the odd scrape.

I miss those days, and not just cos my team was good.

So looking back, it's good that lessons were learned from these horrible events.

But looking around today, I can't help thinking that somewhere on the road, the baby got thrown out with the bathwater.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Belgium remembered 

438ef321e16de95f6ac8e4ad250dd28d9a57ac0d

Yes we have that every year over here. It's fantastic that Hillsborough gets as much attention as it does, especially these last couple of years since the real story came out, but it's quite shocking that Heysel isn't remembered as much. Still a big deal here in Belgium. But I still feel that there's a lack of responsibility amongst Liverpool fans. Not all of them ofcourse - but still. Might be stepping on some toes here lol. Then again I'm not from the UK so I don't know what people talk about over there so correct me if I'm wrong. That stadium is still a shithole btw. Worst ground I've ever been to, what happened in '85 adds to that feeling. Belgian stadiums in general are terrible actually.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Perisic said:

Yes we have that every year over here. It's fantastic that Hillsborough gets as much attention as it does, especially these last couple of years since the real story came out, but it's quite shocking that Heysel isn't remembered as much. Still a big deal here in Belgium. But I still feel that there's a lack of responsibility amongst Liverpool fans. Not all of them ofcourse - but still. Might be stepping on some toes here lol. Then again I'm not from the UK so I don't know what people talk about over there so correct me if I'm wrong. That stadium is still a shithole btw. Worst ground I've ever been to, what happened in '85 adds to that feeling. Belgian stadiums in general are terrible actually.

I don’t hear it talked about too much. You hear rival fans with the “Murderer” shouts but I think that has just become a sound bite. There’s certainly no feeling for those that lost their lives. It’s just a stick to beat another fan base with. 

I vaguely remember the game as a kid who watched every match available to them but not much more than that.

The current set up at LFC seems to me to have a huge amount of class running through it but it’s hard to excuse why the club and it’s fans have such a chequered past. I certainly don’t include Hillsborough in that by the way. I do include Heysel, the Evra incident and the clubs shocking handling of the fall out from it as examples.

The Heysel tragedy maybe deserves more public remembrance from the club. I could be wrong in that they already do this but I can’t say I’ve seen it. 

• Like 1