Greasy Lake Community

Should Bruce release a statement?

One of the things coming out of the George Floyd civil unrest is that, regardless of what is in their heart, anyone who stays silent about this issue is complicity supporting institutional racism. That's why, in the last day or two, I've gotten emails from the Disney Co., Paramount Studios, and others, spelling out their opposition to racism and their support of the #BlackLivesMatter movement. And I get it. These corporate behemoths want to plant their flag firmly on the right side of history. 

But I was surprised that I got a similar email from The Rolling Stones this morning, which made me start to wonder, should Bruce release a similar statement|? Like the Stones, I think that people who follow Bruce's career know exactly where he stands on the issue of racism. But is it in his best interests to release a statement spelling his views out? 

I personally believe there's far more to be gained from releasing a statement than not, but I'm curious about what others think, especially because we have so many European fans here. 

BTW, please don't responds with "All Lives Matter" or any similar garbage. That's a fucking given. What isn't a given is that Black Lives are included in that sentiment. Until they are, "ALM" is a lie.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Frank said:

He made the required statement 45 years ago on the cover of his “make or break” album.

He repeated that inclusion statement throughout his career.

He denounced this very issue when it wasn’t the “cool thing to do” in 2000, with American Skin. 

He helped electing and re-electing the first African-American president in 2008 and 2014.

Don’t get me wrong.  I would appreciate a statement, but let’s face it: it would largely be “preaching to the choir”.

1 minute ago, ProveItAllNight747 said:

Is he doing another one of those Sirius XM shows?He'll definitely address it there if he does.

Those two posts have saved me the effort of saying anything.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

20 years ago the song "American Skin (41 Shots)" positioned him once and for all on the right side of history regarding racism and police brutality towards the US black community. That song speaks louder than any spoken or written statement he could ever make. He could bring that song up in some way. Post a video of it on his homepage or something like that.

• Like 8

A question from old Europe to friends across the pond: How are you living these days (and nights) of protests? What comes to me from social networks and television makes it seem that the American Land is plunged in a civil war, but I wonder if from there you have the same feeling.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheBoss said:

20 years ago the song "American Skin (41 Shots)" positioned him once and for all on the right side of history regarding racism and police brutality towards the US black community. That song speaks louder than any spoken or written statement he could ever make. He could bring that song up in some way. Post a video of it on his homepage or something like that.

When I started reading this comment my first reaction was, "they don't get it" since I feel like only fans know "41 Shots." But you're right. If he posted a video of the song on his homepage and on social media, that would be very powerful. Peace.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ibbhomero said:

A question from old Europe to friends across the pond: How are you living these days (and nights) of protests? What comes to me from social networks and television makes it seem that the American Land is plunged in a civil war, but I wonder if from there you have the same feeling.

People who are legitimately protesting against police brutality want real change, but not civil war. That said, there are plenty of bad actors, most from militias and other right-wing toy soldier groups, but some extreme left groups as well, who want to use this unrest as a platform to start a larger confrontation. Truly sad times in America.

• Like 2

I don’t think anybody “should” make a statement out of a sense of obligation.if he wants to make a statement, he should feel free to do so. Personally, I don’t care one way or the other about what he has to say any more than any other person. Every voice should be given equal importance and carry equal weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t think anybody “should” make a statement out of a sense of obligation.if he wants to make a statement, he should feel free to do so. Personally, I don’t care one way or the other about what he has to say any more than any other person. Every voice should be given equal importance and carry equal weight.

i have a friend who says if you do something out of obligation only, its not genuine and without love

i do like the idea of 21 shots up on his u tube

young Jake was pretty darn phenomenal    when i saw 21 shots 

• Like 2

I finally watched the Amadou episode last night - horrific stuff yet when Bruce is watching news footage of George Floyd's death, which we all know he is whether he's homewordbound or not, he's probably thinking "here we go again" but is too exhausted and disgusted from it all to add something to social media about it.  

It's not as if he can re-write American Skin.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I finally watched the Amadou episode last night - horrific stuff yet when Bruce is watching news footage of George Floyd's death, which we all know he is whether he's homewordbound or not, he's probably thinking "here we go again" but is too exhausted and disgusted from it all to add something to social media about it.  

It's not as if he can re-write American Skin.  

This.

20 years on, and in so many ways the 'distance between the American dream and American reality' that Bruce has stated his work addresses has never been greater. At 70 years of age, I could understand him just despairingly throwing his arms in the air and saying "Well, I tried".

I truly believe he feels these things deeply, he'd be more consumed with worry about the world his kids and any future grandchildren are about to inherit as this stage in life.

• Like 6

i think if Bruce made a statement it would get so little media attention because after watching the news tonight there isnt much room in it amongst the carnage

whats the purpose of this statement ?

for us, the fan base ?

we already know how he feels

to young black Americans?

might he just  be another old white face in the crowd maybe their grandparents maybe listened to ..or maybe didn't 

i font know ?

i don't do social media

maybe he would be trending for a day or two ?

• Like 2

I agree with Frank, but I would like to add that aging massively affects how people react. Older people observe the world around them with a deeper understanding of life but tend to shift focus from issues of broader significance to extremely personal matters. They don’t see the need or want to waste their time fighting, they slow down and become more reflective. Actions turn into meditations, mostly about personal past. This is also why I doubt Bruce will release another political album. 

There's a war outside still raging you say it ain't ours anymore to win?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

I agree with Frank, but I would like to add that aging massively affects how people react. Older people observe the world around them with a deeper understanding of life but tend to shift focus from issues of broader significance to extremely personal matters. They don’t see the need or want to waste their time fighting, they slow down and become more reflective. Actions turn into meditations, mostly about personal past. This is also why I doubt Bruce will release another political album. 

There's a war outside still raging you say it ain't ours anymore to win?

it was a nice idea while it lasted :( if you know what i mean

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TruthThatRanUsDown said:

People who are legitimately protesting against police brutality want real change, but not civil war. That said, there are plenty of bad actors, most from militias and other right-wing toy soldier groups, but some extreme left groups as well, who want to use this unrest as a platform to start a larger confrontation. Truly sad times in America.

Ok!  Thanks for the political commentary.   

We should probably break for commercial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2