• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some explanations by the man himself https://www.backstreets.com/riverinterview.html Backstreets: So this tour comes as quite a surprise! Springsteen: It was a surprise. It was a surprise

Well, money.

I have a lot of reasons ....all conjecture....To Promote the Box Set ? Because Steve Asked really nicely ?  ....or because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted t

Posted Images

I have a lot of reasons ....all conjecture....To Promote the Box Set ? Because Steve Asked really nicely ? :D ....or because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted to bring it to more people .....

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
4 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted to bring it to more people .....

YES! In the two All River shows I seen, I got 14 songs I never heard live before. It was like a new album being released. And all songs played. 

• Like 3

the river anniversary tour is the greatest thing since 78 

im.not kidding

its my favourite tour and i kick myself for not going

i think in hindsite the river tour was part of the deeply reflective journey leading up to the book and SOB

i listened to every show, most of them multiple times

i found those spoken interludes deeply moving and though provoking where i could not sleep afterwards

but he gave new meaning - or maybe just revealed more layers of meaning to songs i had enjoyed in the past but looked on as a bit of fluff and fill

the river was the first album i brought when exploring the back catalogue, i am very emotionally attached to that record

the river the song is the song on the radio that got be curious many many years after BITUSA gathered dust with the rest of my teenage memories 

when the tour was anounced, i raised my eyebrows, but after the 2nd release from nugs i knew this was going to be something phenomenal 

all of a sudden everything on that record was relevant to my times

also its ENJ's favourite record 

in hindsite that's definatly reason enough for a tour ! 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
40 minutes ago, borntorunsean said:

What was the reason behind the second the river tour? Great shows and loved it, but why tour with 35 year old album?

Strangest tour he has ever done. A 35 year old album remastered and reissued in a box set, so he does a world tour behind it ? Why didn't he tour behind the Born to Run or Darkness Box sets ?

I thought at the time it was Bruce and the ESB's farewell to the fans. That might still turn out to be the case but like every other fan I very much hope not.

Got to see two great shows in Manchester and Glasgow, but I am still a bit annoyed to this day that he didn't do full album River shows in the UK and in Europe (Paris excepted). I was really looking forward to seeing and hearing my favourite Bruce album played in it's entirety.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

I guess he wanted to tour and looked for a "reason". 

That’s it right there, I would think.

28 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Strangest tour he has ever done. A 35 year old album remastered and reissued in a box set, so he does a world tour behind it ? Why didn't he tour behind the Born to Run or Darkness Box sets ?

I thought at the time it was Bruce and the ESB's farewell to the fans. That might still turn out to be the case but like every other fan I very much hope not.

Got to see two great shows in Manchester and Glasgow, but I am still a bit annoyed to this day that he didn't do full album River shows in the UK and in Europe (Paris excepted). I was really looking forward to seeing and hearing my favourite Bruce album played in it's entirety.

Manchester was a great night but yeah shame he didnt play the album right through

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

the river anniversary tour is the greatest thing since 78 

im.not kidding

its my favourite tour and i kick myself for not going

i think in hindsite the river tour was part of the deeply reflective journey leading up to the book and SOB

i listened to every show, most of them multiple times

i found those spoken interludes deeply moving and though provoking where i could not sleep afterwards

but he gave new meaning - or maybe just revealed more layers of meaning to songs i had enjoyed in the past but looked on as a bit of fluff and fill

the river was the first album i brought when exploring the back catalogue, i am very emotionally attached to that record

the river the song is the song on the radio that got be curious many many years after BITUSA gathered dust with the rest of my teenage memories 

when the tour was anounced, i raised my eyebrows, but after the 2nd release from nugs i knew this was going to be something phenomenal 

all of a sudden everything on that record was relevant to my times

also its ENJ's favourite record 

in hindsite that's definatly reason enough for a tour ! 

Symbiotic relationship ..... How much you appreciated it made me enjoy it more :) .....Man I could not wait for that Box Set to come out !!!

• Love Love Love! 2
19 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Symbiotic relationship ..... How much you appreciated it made me enjoy it more :) .....Man I could not wait for that Box Set to come out !!!

why thank you :)

to me the river record and you are an inseparable entity :)

• Like 1

I think it was one of these depths of depression when he asked Landau: Get me a tour, any tour.

Touring was one one way of getting out of a depressive phase, he wrote.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I think it was one of these depths of depression when he asked Landau: Get me a tour, any tour.

Bruce could give money to the poor and help feed and clothe and house people if he couldn't tour (like now) if he gets depressed, to help them and himself, help fight his depression.

How do you know what exactly would help someone out of a deep depression? Bruce wrote that he could function when performing and not in any other way.

Desperation takes different shapes.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, berlintramp said:

This.

I was about to write the same thing (I just needed to check the book).

Unfortunately, depression might have been a reason for his intensive touring In the last decade or so. :(

(BTW, it’s chapter 75 on the autobiography, and the quote is, ‘I called Jon and said, “Mr Landau, book me anywhere, please”.)

• Like 5

I think like others have said money would be a factor, and wanting to tour with the band

i also think that the River fit a good narrative for that stage of the career - with the speeches on the full album show about the River being about life, it fit in nicely with the autobiography and broadway. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

I think like others have said money would be a factor, and wanting to tour with the band

i also think that the River fit a good narrative for that stage of the career - with the speeches on the full album show about the River being about life, it fit in nicely with the autobiography and broadway. 

Everything is calculated, even by Bruce (Inc.) for max dollar, which I don't fault them with, as that is what life is mostly about. Just don't hide behind that fact. 

• Like 2
On 6/3/2020 at 11:13 PM, MacBruce said:

Why didn't he tour behind the Born to Run or Darkness Box sets ?

But he did do thosealbums in their entirety on earlier tours and the River was always going to be too long to drop it in a set. I agree with a few of the above posts, it was a great tour. I wasnt fortunate enough to see Bruce before 1987 so it was great to see  the second Paris gig when he did the full album and it was one of my favourite shows I have attended.... hearing The Price you Pay live was worth the plane ticket alone !

• Like 1

A big plus is that The River Tour (2016) essentially eliminated the bragging rights for the folks that had attended the MSG 2009 show in which the album was performed in its entirety.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

A big plus is that The River Tour (2016) essentially eliminated the bragging rights for the folks that had attended the MSG 2009 show in which the album was performed in its entirety.

Only if you caught the US leg.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1