Greasy Lake Community

im a broken record on this

we got the merch

we got the same font on the advertising

but we didn't get the setlist 

alas the summer tour was not a continuation of the river tour :(

i blame that first night in Perth

it was hot

i think there was a very large casual and bucket lister element in the crowd who didn't show kitty enough love 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some explanations by the man himself https://www.backstreets.com/riverinterview.html Backstreets: So this tour comes as quite a surprise! Springsteen: It was a surprise. It was a surprise

Well, money.

I have a lot of reasons ....all conjecture....To Promote the Box Set ? Because Steve Asked really nicely ?  ....or because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted t

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Only if you caught the US leg.

Fortunately I did.  That being said, it wasn’t the best Bruce show I’ve ever seen, for reasons others have mentioned above.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:13 AM, MacBruce said:

I am still a bit annoyed to this day that he didn't do full album River shows in the UK and in Europe (Paris excepted). I was really looking forward to seeing and hearing my favourite Bruce album played in it's entirety.

There were also full River shows in Oslo & Gothenburg . They were excellent - if that's any comfort ...

• Like 2

I always felt Clarence was such a big part of the River Album and even though he was not at the top of his game i was thrilled to see the show with the big man....and i wish Danny had been there ...He waited just a little too long to play some of those songs again ..... The boxset was a godsend though .....and im glad a lot of people got to hear all of those songs that had been played too little ....

• Like 4
6 hours ago, badlands78 said:

A big plus is that The River Tour (2016) essentially eliminated the bragging rights for the folks that had attended the MSG 2009 show in which the album was performed in its entirety.

and nothing performed on the River Tour or subsequent to MSG was nearly as great.  Sorry to brag, but I saw the greatest show of all time.

• Haha 1

the thing with the 2016 river tour was the written set in no way told the whole story

when the tour was anounced i thought the same record every night is getting get pretty borring but boy was i wrong

every single night was different 

the album was revisited a fresh and quite honestly the album just got better and better as the band got tighter and tighter 

those songs that seemed like froth and fill and fluff on the album now heaved under  the weight of their own narrative 

with the exception of Working on a dream i have always lived Bruce Springsteen albums 25 years latter ! which isnt surprising given my age compaired to his - ive thought i needed the life experiences to fully appreate and love Darkness on the edge of town but now for the first time i really listened and paid attention to all the river record

this 2nd river tour was current and relevant for my times that i was living in

then the night he said BTR was about his mum and dad - i couldn't sleep the rest of the night

the river record was my parents journey  as much as my own

as my mum was dying slowly of demetia i realized those people on the river record - they wern't just my people they were my parents and their people too

quietly plugging away on their own version of the 'American dream', having fun where they could, raising a family, living in a working class neighbourhod 

i always thought my dad had done a pretty good job at attaining that but now i realized he hadn't. he died too young leaving us all behind and his 'American dream' had vaporized into thin air with him

those spoken interludes of Bruce on the river tour shock my sole in a way the book BTR never did - i can't explain why 

in hindsight its the greatest tour ever 

the only thing that could have made it greater was if Danny, Clarence and my dad could have been there too

• Like 1
  • Hug 2
8 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

Sorry to brag, but I saw the greatest show of all time.

But did you see him in '78??? That to me seems to be the greatest Bruce tour.... The Roxy, the Agora , Winterland, fox theatre, Capitol theatre..... 

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i blame that first night in Perth

it was hot

i think there was a very large casual and bucket lister element in the crowd who didn't show kitty enough love 

a Bruce fanatic friend of mine said to me a few weeks before that show, We're going to Perth ! What I said , ??? A five day round tripfrom the UK!!! It was too expensive for me to justify, anyway he whats apped me from the pit- I was so jealous!!!! Well he has got 150+ shows and add in100 + Dylan shows - cost him a marriage mind you!!! :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

a Bruce fanatic friend of mine said to me a few weeks before that show, We're going to Perth ! What I said , ??? A five day round tripfrom the UK!!! It was too expensive for me to justify, anyway he whats apped me from the pit- I was so jealous!!!! Well he has got 150+ shows and add in100 + Dylan shows - cost him a marriage mind you!!! :D

wow !

which show did he see ?

in my house Bruce causees an argument a lot :(

• Like 1
On 6/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, Early North Jersey said:

I have a lot of reasons ....all conjecture....To Promote the Box Set ? Because Steve Asked really nicely ? :D ....or because the the original River show in 2009 was ecstatically received and he wanted to bring it to more people .....

I can't remember the exact quote, but I think Bruce mentioned the 2009 River show in an interview and how well it worked or something to that effect, something I have very good reason to believe you'd agree with... :D

On a sidenote: I think Garry, of all people, tweeted during the rehearsals for the 2016 River tour about how much fun it was to play those outtakes, so at one point the idea may have been to pull out more of the outtakes we got with the box. Too bad we never got to hear 'Party Lights' and 'The Man Who Got Away' on concert.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2020 at 3:45 PM, berlintramp said:

I think it was one of these depths of depression when he asked Landau: Get me a tour, any tour.

Touring was one one way of getting out of a depressive phase, he wrote.

Purely speculation on my behalf obviously, but do you think the long shows could be a result of Bruce not really wanting to walk of stage knowing he would go back to his 'dark places' once the show was over? Like playing was an escape for him?

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wow !

which show did he see ?

in my house Bruce causees an argument a lot :(

You know what’s beautiful? My kids have complained about me playing Springsteen all the time for years. They recently put together a summer playlist. Included in it: Sherry Darling

Thunder Road

Rosalita

Sandy

Its beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
15 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

You know what’s beautiful? My kids have complained about me playing Springsteen all the time for years. They recently put together a summer playlist. Included in it: Sherry Darling

Thunder Road

Rosalita

Sandy

Its beautiful.

Damn it that was a nice post, I'm starting to regret calling you a troll

Have a like mateB)

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, the-chickenman said:

Purely speculation on my behalf obviously, but do you think the long shows could be a result of Bruce not really wanting to walk of stage knowing he would go back to his 'dark places' once the show was over? Like playing was an escape for him?

well then he was very happy in Auckland 

but you could be right

look at those darkness and origional river shows 

but i think also maybe he was just having a good time

and in Auckland everyone was just ready to go home

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

Damn it that was a nice post, I'm starting to regret calling you a troll

Have a like mateB)

No regrets my man. Have at it.

I will point out that having an unpopular opinion is not trolling. Anyway, carry on.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jertucky said:

No regrets my man. Have at it.

I will point out that having an unpopular opinion is not trolling. Anyway, carry on.

Fair enough, however i will also point out rule number 1 :D

Still..you get a like 

1 make on you're fan

rules for a troll

1 make on you're fan

2 stir some shit, say something they like..mention the Big Man

3 make on you're a fan from yonks ago, a mate who "recommended " Bruce

4,  make on your mam or dad were fans

5,  You seen Bruce once..you liked him ..but

6, I like Bruce but my fav is..

7, his lyrics are good but not as good as..

8, I don't like Patti, slag off his wife is troll gold

9, You met him once and he was not nice

10, shhh this is the troll gold..get fans to let me and then slag him off

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well then he was very happy in Auckland 

but you could be right

look at those darkness and origional river shows 

but i think also maybe he was just having a good time

and in Auckland everyone was just ready to go home

I wasnt ready to go home In Auckland.............................

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, the-chickenman said:

I thought he pretty much said so.  

Don’t really care how or why the tour came about.  I was just thrilled that it did.  I absolutely LOVED all 6 River ‘16 shows I saw.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

I wasnt ready to go home In Auckland.............................

me neither

where abouts where you ?

i was in the relativity empty bit in front of the far right of the stage

will always be greatful to the laker, at home on the internet in Europe told me there was space over there

everdently kiwi's 'pit' to the left which makes sence because as a shop keeper i know they shop to the left 

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I thought he pretty much said so.  

Don’t really care how or why the tour came about.  I was just thrilled that it did.  I absolutely LOVED all 6 River ‘16 shows I saw.  

you got the most amazing set lists Rosie

i very much enjoyed your shows via SLV and nugs 

i could hear you singing ;)

• Haha 1

the River tour that wasnt a River tour at least in Europe, I was lucky I caught that Paris show most in Europe didnt, in many worlds he would have been prosecuted for infringing the trades description act. Was it money or his depression I dont know, i guess only he and a few others do. By the way still waiting for that album he mentioned presuming it wasnt Western Stars. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

the River tour that wasnt a River tour at least in Europe, I was lucky I caught that Paris show most in Europe didnt, in many worlds he would have been prosecuted for infringing the trades description act. Was it money or his depression I dont know, i guess only he and a few others do. By the way still waiting for that album he mentioned presuming it wasnt Western Stars. 

you were lucky you got the river album in Paris 

i guess they got bored of playing the river every night  :(

shame :(

because i never did 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you were lucky you got the river album in Paris 

thats the problem with recent years, lucky if you got river full album, lucky if you got verified fan with ticketmaster, lucky if you could get to and afford SOB, lucky if a cinema near you was showing western stars at a convenient time and price, lucky if you could afford the 3 variants of western stars

8 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

thats the problem with recent years, lucky if you got river full album, lucky if you got verified fan with ticketmaster, lucky if you could get to and afford SOB, lucky if a cinema near you was showing western stars at a convenient time and price, lucky if you could afford the 3 variants of western stars

You nailed it!

Too many fans, I guess, and the Boss who want to have it handled his way ;-)

• Like 1